-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Good day Savage followers.

I have a question about a Savage 99 model T I have seen while on holiday to Texas and the desert Southwest. How hard is it to find the correct rear iron sight? Will it be pricey?

The rifle is in overall fine shape. I am not at all concerned with the scope mounted on the top of the receiver. Nor am I concerned with the sling studs. The rifle will serve me well, but I am curious about the availability of that rear iron sight.

I would say given the non-original condition but devoid of cracks, rubber shock absorber butt plates and the like, $600 is fair as the man would like to see that price realized.

Does this seem fair?

Thank you for the help.

FireBallRedux

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

� John 3:16
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You won't find the proper rear sight, and if you could it would be very pricey.

$600 for a d&t, sling studded 99T in 250 sounds like a very nice deal.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Calhoun
You won't find the proper rear sight, and if you could it would be very pricey.

$600 for a d&t, sling studded 99T in 250 sounds like a very nice deal.

I think Rory is right on target Fireballs. I have only seen a "T" one time in person and from what the boys here have posted in the past, I don't think the only example I saw was "correct". I recall a discussion here that the rear sight is to have a white line painted on it. Maybe only certain versions had the white line, but I do remember reading that. The one I held...if I remember...did NOT have any white on the rear sight. I think that would have stuck out in my fat head and I would have asked 4 or 5 really stupid questions about it. Others may chime in on this...or not. Depends on the weather.

Last edited by fatjack34; 03/17/12.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I haven't seen a true T sight on the market for several years. The last one that I saw traded brought $300.

The correct sight has the white line with no notch above it. Have seen a few on guns lately with a white line and a notch.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Seems hard enough to find a T with a T sight on it these days.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
Seems hard enough to find a T with a T sight on it these days.

I got EXTREMELY lucky. Most "T"'s I see have either Lyman ot Marble's sights.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Only reason you got that one was i forgot i put it on the rifle !!!!!! it came in on a 1893 marlin and i put it on the "T" where it belonged !!!!! blush blush grin Don

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think LBK is enjoying his luck - as he should wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
Only reason you got that one was i forgot i put it on the rifle !!!!!! it came in on a 1893 marlin and i put it on the "T" where it belonged !!!!! blush blush grin Don

And I've NEVER forgotten that day.

Nor this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
grin grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What are friends for!!!! grin I rember when we talked about the red bead front sights that were or wernt on the "Ts" that had the corect rear sight! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 03/17/12.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have only handled one Savage 99T in 250-3000, first 99T
I ever encountered.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have only handled one Savage 99T in 250-3000, first 99T
I ever encountered.

...and the sight, was it white lined?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Would love to find the white line sight for my T. Know it won't happen, but a guy can dream. Right???

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Didnt have a rear sight at all, was drilled and tapped for
a scope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My original quote was for an otherwise correct 99T in 250 that's d&t and sling studs.

If it also happens to be rebarreled, the worth is up to the buyer. If it loads and feeds it will be a fun hunting gun, but a 99EG/99R barrel on a 99T probably removes ALL collector interest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I honestly believe that Savage never used the white line rear sight on all the T's. I think they ran out of them or just used up what they had and went with another rear sight afterwards.

Seen to many T's go by on this forum with people saying they'd like to find the correct rear sight when I bet the gun was still wearing the one they put on at the factory.

Kinda like the sight slots on the 40's RS's, nobody knew about that and thought they were added afterwards till we started finding that pretty much every RS made after 1940 were all wearing the slot fillers.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still a pretty nifty sight to have...!!! grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
Still a pretty nifty sight to have...!!! grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

Agreed that there is a ton of discussion that occurs over this sight or that sight. But what it REALLY boils down too is that anybody with a drift and a hammer can change any sight in less than 5 minutes. And the assembler at the Savage plant was a HUGE influence on which sight went where. This is another "T" I picked up last year. The picture isn't great, but the middle sight is Marbles with the adjustable center notch. The notch is lowered to the bottom and it has a Lyman 29 1/2 on the tang. The Marbles shows no evidence of drift marks. I'm saying it's factory fresh.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Longbeardking; 03/18/12. Reason: posted the wrong picture

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I honestly believe that Savage never used the white line rear sight on all the T's. I think they ran out of them or just used up what they had and went with another rear sight afterwards.

Seen to many T's go by on this forum with people saying they'd like to find the correct rear sight when I bet the gun was still wearing the one they put on at the factory.

Kinda like the sight slots on the 40's RS's, nobody knew about that and thought they were added afterwards till we started finding that pretty much every RS made after 1940 were all wearing the slot fillers.

Joe - I never thought about it that way but what you are saying makes a lot of sense cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.