-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of packages should be arriving my AO in the next few days per my pms received. Sounds like Doug will be shipping the binos Monday as well.

To add a little heartfelt news to this, Our young hunter called me today asking if I knew of any fixer up deer rifles he could buy for around $200. Seems he has been squirreling away some money for a while with a deer rifle in mind.

It was all I could do to maintain my composure and tell him that I couldnt think of anything worth buying and to keep saving.

Damn dust allergies hit me hard about then

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

It was all I could do to maintain my composure and tell him that I couldnt think of anything worth buying and to keep saving.

Damn dust allergies hit me hard about then

I must have the same allergies. May want to employ a bit of subterfuge, and let the boy know that you are looking around and to hold onto his money for a week or so.

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
that's even cooler that he's in the market and is trying to do it himself!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is indeed very cool.

He sounds like a very responsible and deserving young lad!

I'm honored to be a part of this thing.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh he got told in no uncertain terms that i would start looking around and that if he kept his grades up, keep his positive outlook up and kept saving his money I was sure I would find something before deer season that he could afford or i would cover the rest for him.

Truth be told, knowing what I've learned about/from him in the last week I would gladly cover any shortages in his rifle fund. Luckily there is a virtual chit ton of guys here at the campfire that have HUGE hearts and im sure he will be greatful.

Pretty positive there will be more then one person having a "dust allergy attack" when I hand all of your gifts to these boys. Lots of hearts will be overflowing soon all because a few sportsmen cared about kids and those less fortunate.

The way that someone throws up a gift and guys pile on adding stuff to help one another is what it's all about and makes me damn proud of the 'Fire. I will probably never meet most of you but your all godsends in my eyes and are making a difference in a young mans life that words will never do justice.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 03/17/12. Reason: iPhone hates me
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i've said it before and i'll say it again. i'm a heathen, ill tempered, foul mouthed and opinionated. so, i'm just a normal dude. just happened to be rifle rich at the moment... i've been the kid who wanted to go but dad just couldn't afford the BOX of ammo it'd have taken to go and now i don't ever have to worry about that. just figured i'd help someone who's experiencing the same thing. Or worse...

thanks again to everyone for helping with this! and i'm pretty excited to see how this all pans out! almost like Christmas...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul I'm also all those things you mention of yourself but that doesn't mean your not making a huge difference for a child whose parents couldn't.

Im pretty lousy at words but what I was getting at is that not a one of us involved in this likely thought about the cost involved or hesitated to jump in and offer goods to my friends son.

We just do what we do because we have been blessed to have these opportunities and because we can. That means something to me and mine.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been called a hard nosed SOB many times, Retired Navy. No apologies, but I have been told I am a good friend. To help a young one I am on board. Remember my younger years, Dad was not a hunter but helped when he could. A Nosler number 6 and a Speer number 10 along with Zutz Handloading for Hunters will go out on Monday. Good referances for reloading. MallardAddict, reloading could benifit from experiance if you have the time. If anything else is needed ask, will see what is here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
squid.... Grins...

i'm just a humble puddle pirate...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can feel the same. it's hard putting into words the way i feel about everything. I'm not much on words... I break things.... My boys have been taken care of and i figured that some other KIDs might could use the help!!!!

I Just want to say that IF this is something that the guys at the fire would like to CONTINUE, i'd be happy to offer up another rifle, though it'd be a varmint caliber...

it is what it is! kids are what it's all about!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Truer words couldn't be spoken Paul.

I will be proctoring any and all reloading and plan to spend lots of times with the boys playing with loads.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My dad always' told me a man keeps his word... IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT THE FIRE WOLD like to keep going....

I've a savage 204 Ruger i'd be willing to send out if needed...

just saying...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a couple as well. My son is a Southpaw.. Shoots my right handed rifles well, but after getting him is own "Lefty" he is much happier. Model 70 243 push feed, and a couple of others depending on the situation. IE my first deer rifle. K98 Bishop stock with a peepsite. Feed myself and wife for more than a few years in Northern Minnesota. Not an open coutry rifle but in the woods..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i still own my first rifle. ruger 77 30-06 that i've used for more than most hunting....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thought many times of making a "custom" but doubt it would be that much better the the original. 8X57mm actually works pretty good. If I get the chanch again I will bring that back out. With crappy Federal 170g I can still put 5 in 2 1/2" at 100 yards plenty good for deer in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, I for one believe that you have done more than enough already for a great cause.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smithrjd, I feel it's time for others who've not contributed to this and the other "gun for a kid" threads to step up.

Now if both of you incredibly generous folks insist on even more generosity I'm sure I could find more stuff to contribute as well.

Just saying that there are plenty of members here with the means and the collection to do something like this who have played no part as of yet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Understand that, it does come very close to home for me. Lets see where it goes. I'm sure that there are many more Campfire folks who will and have stepped up. I'll be around if needed. It is our future, I'm in a not very friendly hunting state right now and I do not like the direction things are headed.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds cool... i'm sure i can use it for something.

Thanks again for everyone making this as big as it has gotten!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to put this up on the Classifieds later this week as my two boys hardly use it (they prefer the S&W M&P 15-22), but think it would brighten up the day of a young boy or girl that otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to own one. Kids absolutely love these "tactikool" AR type .22LR's. Loads of fun.

Need to find another deserving boy or girl as I'm donating a gently used SigSauer 522 .22LR

Has a forearm grip, and flip-up BUIS from my S&W M&P 15-22
I'll include a nylon tactical sling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (BALLISTIK, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,176 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.