Hop To
#6296179 03/15/12
J
jac3k Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Has anyone had any experience with the Steyr Scout? Likes/dislikes? How accurate are they?

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like them. I'd love to have a .308.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I got one in '98, and have been hunting with it since. Took it to Africa on a couple of hunts too, mostly I shot 180 gr factory ammo. My rifle is quite accurate, a typical Steyr-Mannlicher in that respect. Mine has been very handy hunting from blinds and stands.

The only use I found for the integral bipod is keeping the rifle off the ground when you put it down. It is too short for sitting, but too tall for prone.

The definitive reference on the Internet is John Schafer's page http://www.steyrscout.org/general.htm

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jac3k
Has anyone had any experience with the Steyr Scout? Likes/dislikes? How accurate are they?

Mine will put 3 150gr Nosler BT's into a ragged hole at a 100yd. Stock ergs are phenomenol, IMO. I used it to attend Randy Cain's Practical Rifle class and I found all the "Scout Rifle" hype to be on the money.

J
jac3k Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks fellas.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
familiar with it like my left hand.
Great rifle. revolutionary design.
Not for deer hunting.

Look, the truth we all know is that deer are dawn and dusk animals for the most part. Your best chance of catching one is those times.
A scout scope does not afford the light gathering ability to meet the requirment.
And if you plan on putting a conventional scope on it...
whoo-hoo! been down that road!
Due to the bolt lift you have to put a scope in Med- high rings. anything less and the eyepiece will be struck by the bolt handle.
And the way the stock is designed you DO NOT want a scope in high rings.
Like I said, great rifle. Not for morning and afternoon deer.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I usually have a low-power variable mounted over the action on my SS, and those I have tried work fine. You need a 32mm or larger objective diameter, and about 6X magnification is great for most deer hunting low-light situations.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A 2.5x8 Leupold fits fine in Leupold MED PRW or QRW rings. I plan to put a fixed 6x36 on mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the models of steyr rifles I have shot including the 308 scout when it first came out were MOA or better.
The old model M guns were by far the most accurate.
I agree on the scout scope for low light deer.
I haven't bought any new steyr guns since I quit doing business with GSI in Alabama when I was living there and most of my nicer ones were stolen. Can't speak for accuracy of their current models. I know that they are built in a different factory or factories than the guns I have. The safe bolt pro hunter action has always worked great for me though.
I'd love to have a scout model in 375 cal for sure.
There was a comparison between the Ruger and the Steyr in one of the outdoor mags recently. Might wanna check out a Ruger as well. Much cheaper and accuracy may be close to the same.

JB

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
After owning dozens of steyrs and a handfull of scouts I have found , for me, the steyr mountain rifle (AKA compact, AKA tactical lightweight) serves the roll of general rifle better than the scout platform.
I caan shoot with a 2 point sling as well as needed and I never used the bipod legs on the scout. and the spare magazine in the butt was neat, but not ever needed hunting. I keep a spare loaded magazine in my pack.
heavier? yeah, 'bout 2 pounds but not noticable. I just think that for the money you can outfit a SBS mountian rifle thats going to shoot as well maybe better. 1" longer, couple pounds heavier loaded.
for the same money you can get a Steyr ultralight. Basicly a scout AL reciver with partial rail with the same 19" fluted barrel but sitting in a walnut stock.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/94231442..._Ultra_Light_Rifle_308_Cal_Wood_Stoc.htm
I dont have a picture of mine but it is a Steyr SBS tactical LW. Very short lived version of the prohunter but with a 20" bbl, round bolt knob and black trigger and bolt.
I have a 2.5-8x36 mounted in Warne PRW LOWS. I had to take some meatal off the bolt handle to get clearance but it works fine.
I have a .338 5 shot group somewere. the thing is a one hole shooter for sure.
You can save about 800 bucks if you can find one of these and nearly $1000 if you dont mind a flat bolt knob.
you just have to endlessly search the net till you find one.
This is one of the models I mean...
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

P
P
Owned a Scout in 308W for 10 years. Can t say anything bad about it and it will never be sold.
Uses it for Moose hunt with dogs and its perfect for close range shooting on moving targets. Put an Eotech XPS2 on it last year and nothings gets away from that combination.

Paal Dalen
Norway

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got my son the pro hunter in 243 because of the adjustable stock. Got it used at a really good price. He shot a 1 Inch group at 75 yards for first time ever shooting a center fire rifle. It's a nice compact well balanced rifle.

Enjoy everything.......expect nothing.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Palmetto,
Dude you really have no conscience do you? Can't believe you still have the nerve to post anything here thieving bastard. You deserve to have all your rifles stolen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenai
Palmetto,
Dude you really have no conscience do you? Can't believe you still have the nerve to post anything here thieving bastard. You deserve to have all your rifles stolen.

Don't be holding back now. Tell us what you realy think. Whats the story?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you. Unbelievable, indeed.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,077
Posts18,482,727
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.