Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by gmoats

...I can't speak for VaHillbilly, but I'd settle for an explanation of Kimber's impact on the "current love for 1911's"---maybe you were just being sarcastic (I hope).

Kimber was the first mass-produced 1911 that was worth a crap. Better than Colt and good enough to give the custom made lines a scare.

Suddenly, anybody could buy an off-the-rack 1911 with all the features of custom guns - at a little over $500. Colt was pure excrement, and Springfield Armory hadn't figured out how to build a good gun yet. Para was Canadian and only shined in the high-cap frames - which Mr.Bill killed with his 1994 "crime bill". And Kimber is extremely popular today, even in the face of a lot of competition.

Why don't you know this? Can't stop playing video games long enough to google it yourself?
I have to disagree. I'm hardly an expert, especially when it comes to the development of the 1911 or high-end custom guns. I got my first 1911 type in 1982 and have been shooting them ever since though. Colts are/were hardly "excrement". They were the standard by which all others were judged for a long, long time. Colts were always fine shooting ball ammo. Where they failed was in shooting hollowpoint ammo and this was not even an issue until hollowpoints became prevalent back probably in the mid-seventies. Target shooters and reloaders would shoot SWC ammo and Colt's typically would not feed this either, unless you got the National Match/Gold Cup. That particular gun was definitely an answer for those who wanted an out-of-the-box gun with features rivaling custom 1911's.

By the '80s we were seeing several manufacturers making 1911's and competing with Colt's. Springfield Armory, MS Safari Arms, and Auto Ordnance come to mind. The gun that really revolutionized things IMO, was the Norinco. Norinco started having their 1911's imported here in the late eighties and they would feed hollowpoints. Suddenly, Colt was forced to offer a 1911 that would feed something other than ball ammo, which is something they had never done before unless you paid extra for the Gold Cup. The 1991A1 came out and Colt quietly upgraded their other guns. Now most name-brand guns feed everything, but give credit where it belongs, sadly, to the Chinese.

GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nope, not even close to the truth. Especially with Norinco. Norinco was an excellent CHEAP starter platform - at least they were heat-treated - something that AutoOrdinance couldn't seem to do right (AO's were major POC). But a Norinco was mil-spec 1911 - not a modern* 1911.

Kimber's were tight, heat treated, came with everything you used to pay a smith to do, and feed all bullet profiles reliably. Suddenly Colt was something to wipe your rear with - why buy a Colt, which you had to immediately send to a smith, when you could buy a rock-solid Kimber off the rack? For a while, you couldn't give a Colt away.

SA didn't make a modern 1911 until long after Kimber was dominating the market. And the rest of the manufacturers you mentioned are gone because they produced a crappy product.

Kimber was the first company to sell a very good mass produced modern 1911. And that is what started the 1911-revival - and I'm still seeing young guys buying a modern 1911 for their 1st pistol.

* "modern" is not what your grandfather carried in WWII.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"For a while, you couldn't give a Colt away."

Hey dla, if you know anyone that wants to give away their Colt 1911, let me know! :-)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
IIRC, Kimber bought out an out-of-work aerospace company that was a victim of Clinton era defense cuts (remember "Falling Down?") They were then in possesion of the most sophisticated CNC cutting/tooling equipment in the gun industry. This made a much more precisely manufactured 1911 possible without a lot of hand fitting, supposedly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Rockburner I got seconds behind you for the Colt give-a-ways!

Every company has its time with issues no doubt. I was born and raised not far from the Big Blue Onion. I knew a lot of people that worked there from goodtimes to bad. When companies are run by bean counters that only look at the bottomline bad things happen. When companies go public and have to answer to investers again bad things happen.

Another problem that Colt like many other manufacturing companies here in CT and the Northeast faced was lossing skilled machinist,deburrers, file workers to higher paying aerospace companies. Something that really doesn't get published in gun magazines. Not a mile as the crow flys across the Connecticut River was the then still Mighty Pratt and Whitney/ United Technologies. In the hight of the 70's and 80's it was a sure thing a family member worked there or for a vendor of theirs.

Then came the 90's and well things changed here drastically and fast. Not making excuses for bad choices and Unions that surely killed the Northeast Manufacturing businesses forever. But there is always more to the story, "Your story,their story, and Somewhere in the middle the truth".

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Kimber's were tight, heat treated, came with everything you used to pay a smith to do, and feed all bullet profiles reliably. Suddenly Colt was something to wipe your rear with - why buy a Colt, which you had to immediately send to a smith, when you could buy a rock-solid Kimber off the rack? For a while, you couldn't give a Colt away.

SA didn't make a modern 1911 until long after Kimber was dominating the market. And the rest of the manufacturers you mentioned are gone because they produced a crappy product.

Kimber was the first company to sell a very good mass produced modern 1911. And that is what started the 1911-revival - and I'm still seeing young guys buying a modern 1911 for their 1st pistol.

* "modern" is not what your grandfather carried in WWII.

1911 history as recorded in Bizarro World.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dla
...For a while, you couldn't give a Colt away.

...Kimber was the first company to sell a very good mass produced modern 1911. And that is what started the 1911-revival ...

....life's very simple and uncomplicated for you dla.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I believe that what he's trying to say (vary badly) is that Kimber was the first manufacturer to offer beavertail safeties, hi-viz sights, etc. before that, you had to buy a Colt with pimple sights and send it off to a pistolsmith to get it all tricked out.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
...Funny how people forget that the current love for 1911's didn't even start until Kimber started manufacturing them in the late 90's. Now everybody makes a good 1911.

How should I say this? B.S!

I unfortunately had to sell my pre-Series-70 Colt National Match, manufactured ~1967 IIRC. And not everyone makes its equal.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey, if you've got a better answer then lets hear it. I'm amazed at how some of you think your singular 1911 experience proves me wrong. Talk about your bizarro world.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by dla
...For a while, you couldn't give a Colt away.

...Kimber was the first company to sell a very good mass produced modern 1911. And that is what started the 1911-revival ...

....life's very simple and uncomplicated for you dla.

Well to quote John Wayne, "Life is tough, and its tougher if your stupid".
Read, learn and then post.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dla

Well to quote John Wayne, "Life is tough, and its tougher if your stupid".
Read, learn and then post.

thanks dla---I appreciate your heart felt sentiment and will aspire to not be stupid anymore. Perhaps if you posted more, I could read and learn and maybe aspire to your level of logic. Thanks.
Your pal,
G

Last edited by gmoats; 03/20/12.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Why do you want a Series 70 Colt ? They are good guns. Heck, I've owned one since 1971. But I don't see them as as refined a gun as the modern Kimbers. E

Same here. I have a 70 Series and an 80 series Colt. I like them but prefer my Kimber Custom Carry II. The 70 series is my least favorite and it will bite the web of a careless shooter. I know. Were I to sell any, the Kimber would be the last and the 70 series the first.

O

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Why do you want a Series 70 Colt ? They are good guns. Heck, I've owned one since 1971. But I don't see them as as refined a gun as the modern Kimbers. E

E, I would give you a modern Kimber any day in trade for a Series 70 Colt, let's trade first then I will tell you why....

You are on. Send me a pm. Oh yeah. My 70 doesn't have that collet finger stuff. It has a proper 1911 bushing.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's absolutely nothing that a Series 70 Mark IV Colt brings to the table, performance wise, that a new Kimber doesn't as well, other than the fact that the Kimber has a FPS, which is easily gotten rid of or deactivated.

Every Series 70 that I've had my hands on needed the barrel to be throated & the magazines reworked (or changed out) in order to feed hollow point bullets reliably.........& the best of that era were the Super-Vel 190 gr loads at a little over a 1000 fps & they were very, very flat.

Kimbers (& most other top tier guns today including Colt) have throated barrels.

I love the older Colts, but they are what they are until you help them to become the equals of current top line 1911's.

MM

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Mon..,

If the 70 Series brought something of value to the table they'd still be in production.

wink

Too old to suffer fools
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GeetarGoul

Kimbers are all made in NY, USA.

A VERY anti-(hand)gun state !!!!!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Mon..,

If the 70 Series brought something of value to the table they'd still be in production.

wink

They are (page 14 of the 2012 catalog http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols.aspx), minus the collet bushing. Demand was so high they brought it back. Not unlike Coke bringing back the original after the new Coke flopped.

The revival of Colt's quality control has been as epic as their previous decline was.

Last edited by gmoats; 03/25/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saying that Kimber was responsible for the 1911's popularity is silly. There were millions in service before Kimber even started making .22 rifles, let alone 1911's.

Colt had union/corporate problems in the '80's and quality was hit & miss, but practical/action shooting was growing in popularity. That opened the door for Springfield & others. AMT made their clones, which were mostly junk, but interested a lot of people.

By the 1990's Kimber had reorganized & recapitalized after going bankrupt in Oregon. With new equipment they figured out that they could fit a gun tight, and coached their sales people to shake the gun in front of prospective buyers. Colts of the day rattled, and many new 1911 afficianados (me included) thought oh Kimber must be better. Kimber also was able to sell at good prices with the modern equipment, and the use of MIM for small intricate parts, like safeties and extractors.

Colt rebounded, the 1911 continued to be popular, and other folks got in the game, like Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown Sig, S&W, etc.

Of the production makers, I think Colt currently has the best batting average, but S&W is very close, and would get my nod for the OP's question. Kimber is not close, I've seen too many fail, and seen too many reports of failures. I have one in 10mm, and it's a fun pistol, but not reliable enough for defense.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is neither here nor there, but somewhat related to the hijack at least; if anyone has data showing total 1911 sales in the US over say the last thirty years I would love to see it. Broken down by maufacturer and compared to other autos in general would be nice too while I'm asking. laugh

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 35, afisher, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 831 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.