Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Docksider
Yes, I am a real woman. I wouldn't say that and not be. Why wouldn't you believe me? I didn't realize until the Vancouver comment that everyone thought I was a man. So I had to let you know.

Thanks for the clarification. crazy

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thank you again for your comments. It makes me feel a lot better about my trip. I have to tell you that I am a woman and my friend traveling with me is a woman too. I have never traveled or even run for that matter without my taser or pepper spray because you just never know. But if you say you have traveled it and it's safe I will take your word for it. Also I will not be going through Lower BC,I wish I was. I am coming from the northeast. Vancouver will be another trip.

Wasp and hornet spray... just sayin.... ain't a human around that would keep on keepin on after a facial shot of that stuff.... I doubt thats illegal in Canada, and if illegal to bring in, bet the first hardware store you hit you could buy it there... better than nothing, but bear spray will work fine too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I drove up to Alaska years ago. The Canadian Customs asked if we had guns and we said yes. They then asked to see our money to see if we had enough to get to Alaska. We had enough cash and they said good luck.Sent us Right through. I have always wanted to take my time driving, too much to take in. Would like to stop in the towns and get a feel for them. Huge Country.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, I am a real woman. I wouldn't say that and not be. Why wouldn't you believe me? I didn't realize until the Vancouver comment that everyone thought I was a man. So I had to let you know.

You would think a guide could read sign, huh?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dan_H
Dress older and poor, keep alert, don't stop for a few drinks in bars way the hell out in the middle of nowhere without yard lights..
Stay in more public places at night.
Its not that bad of a trip - enjoy the sights.
This is what I tell my daughters..

Sweet Jeebus....This is BC, not the US......

She'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My wife drove from Michigan to Anchorage in 1993. She took $1100 and twenty two pairs of shoes. Family asked if I worried about her...I said "No, I phoned Canada and warned them she was on her way"

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

Only that which is identifiable, though. Internet isn't an "identifiable" realm, to some extent. I mean, there are ways to track things down on internet, but I'm not going to bother checking on Dock Side's origination. Not interested in that sort of thing, at the moment.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I go to Canada quite a bit, usually at least a half-dozen times a year and always have firearms. Go here for the latest updates and info on firearms should you decide to take one along http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm- Taking a firearm into Canada is not an onerous process at all, but the rules do change from time to time. I have never had a hassle from the Canadians regarding firearms, however since 9/11 coming back into the US the American Customs (Homeland Security) is a real hassle most every crossing, firearms or not.

Should you take a firearm be sure to do the American customs registration form before crossing into Canada, when leaving Canada to go back into the US Homeland Security will want to see it to verify that you had the firearm when you entered the country. There is no charge for the form or service but it needs to be verified and signed by a US Customs officer before leaving the US.

A copy of The Milepost is a good investment, it has lots of good reading and history in it and a list of places that may, or may not, be in business and the services they offer. Since it is printed a year in advance quite often places that are listed in it are out of business, or may not keep the hours listed in it.

Driving the Alcan is a piece of cake, the old days of really bad roads with ruts, washboards,and small rocks for gravel are in the past. The last time I was up the Alcan was better that most two lane roads in Montana and Idaho. There are services every 60 miles or so which negates having to carry spare gas, etc. Be prepared for high fuel prices, especially in northern BC.

My only lament about the Alcan is that a lot of the old businesses that were there are now gone, they gave it a lot of character. Now it is not that different that driving in the US.

It is a really enjoyable trip, if possible try to allow some time for sight-seeing or at least stopping to take in views of the countryside. I have driven it three times, the last time in 2008. I thought that would be my last trip but I am developing an itch for another one.

Be sure to declare any and everything they ask about at the border, be honest with your answers and chances are it will be a pleassant experience.

OOPS! I almost forgot - when you see the price of fuel, $1.49 or whatever it currently is, that is per liter - not gallon.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by ironbender

Only that which is identifiable, though. Internet isn't an "identifiable" realm, to some extent. I mean, there are ways to track things down on internet, but I'm not going to bother checking on Dock Side's origination. Not interested in that sort of thing, at the moment.

Mav-
She stated it, pure and simple, above.
'tis obvious, not oblivious! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
OP Offline
D
Actually Docksider was the name of my most beloved horse. I rode horses for 26 years and had to stop due to a severe allergy to horses. If that didn't happen this trip wouldn't be happening. So everything happens for a reason. I have to say to everyone that your comments have really helped and made me feel better about my trip. So being new to the site and to hunting, camping, fishing, and shooting I didn't know what to put for a name.

IC B3

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"never run for that matter without my taser or pepper spray because you just never know"

What are you that afraid of? Are you coming from a high crime area?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by drover

OOPS! I almost forgot - when you see the price of fuel, $1.49 or whatever it currently is, that is per liter - not gallon.

drover

Depending on where you stop it'll be a HELL of a lot higher than that...... "Major" centres right now are at that range depending on the day, and small side of the road places don't vary much from $2 per liter.(Roughly $7.50 a gallon).

Fill up in Fort St John, and Fort Nelson, Watson, etc. Some of the places in between don't even post the price any more, because they know if you are stopping, you don't really have an option and you'll pay what they charge.......

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If you can handle a fairly long day behind the wheel (12 - 14 hrs) I would try to overnight in Ft St John then go to Whitehorse in one day. Nothing is cheap in Ft Nelson or Watson Lake but if you had to overnight in either one Ft Nelson is probably the lesser of two evils. Fuel up in Ft St John and you'll make Ft Nelson easy on one tank. Fill again in Ft Nelson and to be on the safe side I would top up somewhere around Summit Lake or Toad River just in case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually Docksider was the name of my most beloved horse. I rode horses for 26 years and had to stop due to a severe allergy to horses. If that didn't happen this trip wouldn't be happening. So everything happens for a reason. I have to say to everyone that your comments have really helped and made me feel better about my trip. So being new to the site and to hunting, camping, fishing, and shooting I didn't know what to put for a name.

"Docksider" works for me. Probably better than something like .... "Maverick". grin

D
OP Offline
D
no I don't come from a high crime area but I have had some weird encounters in the middle of the day running. That's with people and animals. I am always aware that anything can happen.

D
OP Offline
D
yeah I have heard that you should get gas everywhere you can, is that true? I mean my car is an 2007 so the gas mileage is pretty good.

D
OP Offline
D
what is wrong with Maverick? smile It makes me think of Top gun, and I thought that was a good movie!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yeah I have heard that you should get gas everywhere you can, is that true? I mean my car is an 2007 so the gas mileage is pretty good.

I would still recommend carrying a spare can of fuel. Some places might be closed or out of fuel....

Or you could have a headwind and watch your fuel consumption head south in a hurry. Happened to me outside of Ft. Nelson.

It is a great trip and I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Just make sure to stop at Liard Hot Springs for a couple of hours. It is free if you park on the south side of the road in the pullout as opposed to parking in the "official" parking lot.

Also, Fast Eddy's at Tok is a great place to celebrate with a pizza and a beer, for having survived the ALCAN. Just another 6(+) hours to Anchorage....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ALCAN commuter:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And who can forget Tim Horton's?

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,964
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.