Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I figured Yellowstone would be at the top of the list. smile Seriously though I always figured camping to be for yuppies and the rich.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Up the canyons on the east side of Steens...

Middle Fork of the Gila, where Iron Creek comes in, below Snow Lake...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
Heaton campground @6500' 6.5 miles up the McGregor mountain trail above Stehekin WA

I have seen that one on Google Earth...does that require a ferry ride up the lake to get a vehicle up there?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKHntr
I figured Yellowstone would be at the top of the list. smile Seriously though I always figured camping to be for yuppies and the rich.

Well, there are Dudes, and there are Sagebrushers.

I consider all the campgrounds in Yellowstone NP to be on the beaten path, although there are some in the surrounding NF's that are quite remote. Also, just a bit south of the SE corner of the park is supposedly the most remote area in the lower 48, possibly except for Isle Royale, no roads for about 20 miles in all directions (the Thorofare region)

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 03/19/12.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Closest roads to me are the Haul Road and Fairbanks city streets. 200 + miles. But up here a plane or a boat can make things crowded real quick if it is good for catching game or fish.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Closest roads to me are the Haul Road and Fairbanks city streets. 200 + miles. But up here a plane or a boat can make things crowded real quick if it is good for catching game or fish.

Sounds like Alaska still has the big divide between rich "Dudes" and the hearty "Sagebrushers". You need some more roads...lol

"The advent of the auto in the park in 1915 created a great influx of visitors. The need arose for an intermediate style of lodging between the luxury of the Lake Hotel and the rustic accommodations of the tent camps. In 1926, the Lake Lodge (also a Robert Reamer design) was completed, one of four lodges in the park. The park was no longer primarily accessible to only affluent "dudes" or hearty "sagebrushers." Democracy had come to Yellowstone."

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/lake-area-hist-highs-2.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clyde River,NWT.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The rivers and airwaves are our roads up here. Everyone has a plane or boat or both. I also have a highway rig I keep in Fairbanks which is on the road system. Not much of Alaska is on the road system. This is why not many see Alaska.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I've always liked this one. Drive in access 20+ miles...

[Linked Image]

I was going to guess somewhere near the Tetons until I quoted you, and Upper Green River Lakes came up in the image link. I have been kind of close to that area, wish I had stopped!

It's about 20-25 east of Cora, Wyoming, between Jackson and Pinedale. About 90 miles from Jackson in the Wind River Range. It's called, appropriately, Squaretop.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 03/19/12.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heaton campground @6500' 6.5 miles up the McGregor mountain trail above Stehekin WA

Been there, now that is remote. Only way in is by boat.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bone Trail campground on the north side of Fort Peck Resevoir in Montana is kinda neat territory......best have a fair amount of provisions cause if a summer storm blows up your stuck till it dries out.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I've always liked this one. Drive in access 20+ miles...

[Linked Image]

My favorite too. We had the bright idea to paddle from the lower lake to the upper. That water is faster than it looks, but the fishing was worth it.

Great pic!

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is in Voyagers N.P. on Namakan Lake 14 miles by boat from Crane Lake

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TJAY
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is in Voyagers N.P. on Namakan Lake 14 miles by boat from Crane Lake

Cool. I need to check out Voyagers! I assume that is a motorized lake?
I am getting too old/lazy to portage canoes in the BWCA.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have seen that one on Google Earth...does that require a ferry ride up the lake to get a vehicle up there?

Only access to Stehekin is by boat, plane, or hike in.
If memory serves, it is an 11 mile trip by car up valley to the trail head. The first mile is a mild trail to Coon lake. From there it is straight up. I'm thinking over 50 switch backs as you climb from High Bridge to the summit. Heaton camp ground is about a mile from the summit.
Back in the early 80's I lived in Stehekin and made a couple day trips to the top (18 Mile round trip)
I made one other overnighter to Heaton campground a few years later. Some of the most spectacular views of the north Cascades.
http://peakery.com/static/cache/7a/d1/7ad12f8820afc619aad889dcb514a60d.jpg

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There is an old trappers cabin about 6 miles off the middle of the Denali hwy in Alaska, it overlooks the Chulitna river. Theres a note that says "take what you need, leave what you dont". Its about 10x10 with a woodstove and a bunk. Theres caribou heards that make the earth look like its moving. The kind of place you feel like it would be ok to die. I've been stationed in Hawaii with the Airforce for almost a year and that Cabin has been haunting my dreams. I cant wait to go home...

Last edited by Mattm907; 03/21/12.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For many many years,my elk camp wa stucked back into the pines just a little beyond the grassy hill on the right side of the photo. Lot of fire wood, a spring running into the creek and good brookie fishing besides the elk hunting.
Turret Meadows in the SE corner of the FlatTops, in CO.About a 6 mile pack in. Pretty much hunted out now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/21/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mattm907
There is an old trappers cabin about 6 miles off the middle of the Denali hwy in Alaska, it overlooks the Chulitna river. Theres a note that says "take what you need, leave what you dont". Its about 10x10 with a woodstove and a bunk. Theres caribou heards that make the earth look like its moving. The kind of place you feel like it would be ok to die. I've been stationed in Hawaii with the Airforce for almost a year and that Cabin has been haunting my dreams. I cant wait to go home...
......been there...........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Well, there are Dudes, and there are Sagebrushers.

I consider all the campgrounds in Yellowstone NP to be on the beaten path, although there are some in the surrounding NF's that are quite remote. Also, just a bit south of the SE corner of the park is supposedly the most remote area in the lower 48, possibly except for Isle Royale, no roads for about 20 miles in all directions (the Thorofare region)

I was there about 3 years ago. Probably the prettiest place I have ever been.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite spots are no longer available for use.
To anyone.

North shores of Lake Francis Case used to be owned by the Corps of Engineers. All wide open. Set up camp anywhere you liked, dig a fire pit, hunt/fish/camp/boat/ski/hike/etc all week, and never be bothered by possum cops or encumbered by a myriad of state regs and fees.

It was almost like being in a free country. Lewis and Clark didn't have it any better.

Now you're under the watchful eye of SD State guardian angels constantly patrolling and dictating where you park or piss or hang your hat or build your fire.... "papiers, bitte".

It sucks.
We usually stick to private grounds. Druther pay private individuals and enjoy some freedoms. Nazis ain't worth the trouble so we avoid them. Same goes for here on the Nebraska side. Campers all parked in rows elbow to elbow looks like driving through a mobile home park on the other side of the tracks. If that's camping, I quit.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.