-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 1st car, worked my ass off to save up some money for a car and than UN-beknownst to me my grandfather bought one for me and than wanted me to pay for it.

1981 Mercury Lynx, car itself wasn't so bad but was a rust bucket (1990) was when I got it. Had a little over a hundred on the odometer and than going to work one day the block cracked.

Had a Hyndai Excel for a few years as a run around/better car. Motor ran great, but it was a little rattle trap. Clutch was going out and finally was getting bad enough so made an appt with a local guy. Freaking day before I was going to take it to him the clutch finally gave up the ghost.... Arrgh

So with a little ingenuity, a friend and I got it up on a car trailer and I hauled it up to get fixed. My mom dropped me off to pick it up a week or so later and I told her, yeah just my luck and the thing's going to blow up now.

Next day, maybe 80-100 miles later I'm going over to a friends house and the thing dies in Sioux Falls. Was going fast enough I coasted it in towards the zoo parking lot and discovered the timing belt had broke.

Damn thing.....

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine was a 1972 AMC Gremlin. Remember those? I'm trying to forget. crazy

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
90something ford bronco two cheap porly built to small hated it the next day after i bought it floated away in the flood in 99 wish i had put a sail on the roof to get it gone faster

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gee, I really never had one that was a lemon, everything that went wrong was usually because of me, closest I will say was an 83 CJ-7 I had that the gas tank had a rust hole just below the seam and I didn't find it till it was too late and I was half way between Canon City and Divide on a back road. That's a helluva long walk to a gas station for folks that know the route I am talking about. wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by pa_gus
Originally Posted by Heeler
1994 Ford Probe. Not worth the C-4 to blow it up just to see an explosion.

Hope you didn't get mine! Was it red? First car I ever bought new. Traded it in with 7,500 miles on it. Something broke every week. I was on my way to college one morning at about 4:30am, got a flat, and then realized that there was no lug wrench included w/ it.

Did Ford really make a car called a Probe ?
Sounds like something a Gynecologist would drive. laugh

The Probe was made by Ford from 1989 to 1997. It was actually considered as a possible replacement for the Mustang.

My worst car experience was my first, a 1973 Opel GT. Fun little 2 seater and the girls loved it but it nickled and dimed me to death. Engine and transmission wise it ran good, although it burned a little oil but the headlights and windows gave me fits. The hidden headlight assembly rolled over 180 degree to expose the headlight. This was accomplished by moving a lever on the center console. The linkage was worn out and sometimes if you pushed the lever too hard, the headlight assembly would roll over past lock and keep spinning.

The window regulators were operated by a metal cable that looked as if it came off a 10 speed bicycle brake cable. I think these cables were $31 a piece. Can't remember how many I bought and replaced in a years time. Seems like when the last regulator broke, I installed a bolt to keep the window from falling to the bottom of the door. Then I could manually grab the window and slide it up and down.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to drive a '73 Opel GT (green) when I lived in Colorado in the '70's. The chicks did like it. whistle

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
83 jeep CJ7

BLASPHEMY! mad
why's that. grin course i did have alot to do with it being a pos.

ive got a 77 CJ5.....course when i got it i was looking for a pre 79 5 or 7 cause i didnt want all the PITA smog chit on the engine....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nope, my Ford Probe was white with red interior. POS 4 banger and automatic. Bought it right before I went back to college. It was a repo and had about 40k miles. Before 50k the transmission went out. Dad and I fixed it and sent it down the road.

Oh, the Probe was actually a joint deal with Ford/Mazda. The Probe and MX6 came off the same line/platform.

He went over yonder way
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey 243, the MOST fun for the GT6, was when it would load up the rear suspension, corner like it was STUCK good, then UNLOAD the whole shebang RIGHT NOW!!!!! Lifted the rear, and stepped out. Boy, that gave the old sphincter some exercise..... I hold that car responsible for giving me the sphincter strength to have never shat myself.....I guess it wasn't ALL bad. Sure looked cool, too....the car, I mean...

Last edited by benchman; 03/20/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=nsaqam 1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer, the 2.8L V6 was underpowered and the automatic transmission had to be rebuilt 4x in 170K miles. Toward the end of my ownership, the engine was so "loose" that there were flakes of carbon in the motor oil.

Jeff [/quote]

This in a GMC Jimmy....have not bought a GM car since. Bad car and dealer screwed me on the repairs....Fug 'em

Last edited by 257wby; 03/20/12.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only vehicle i had that pissed me off was a 2003 Ford F150.....could not trust the 4wd system, the shifting fork that engaged the front axle had half the metal of he same piece in my Jeep Cherokee that was a fraction of the weight.....broke 2 of the forks, sold it before i broke a 3rd.....wasnt even doing serious offroading, just muddy gravel roads....woulda maybe understood if i had been flogging the chit out of it but i busted the second one when being careful...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
o heck nearly forgot about a 77fiat spyder ( FIX IT AGAIN TOMMORROW) transmission spent more time out on the work bench than in the car

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
'94 Nissan 4wd truck, 4-banger, 5 speed manual.

In general the truck was pretty good but the input bearing on the shaft going into the transmission wore out prematurely. Dealership couldn't (or chose not to) find the problem. One day it finally got too sloppy and allowed gears to climb over gears. Tore gear teeth off. Truck no-go.

They replaced the tranny on warranty but it never did shift right.

Guess I should put the current '08 Nissan on the list, too. Its pretty good as pavement trucks go, but it is the NISMO offroad package with all the goodies they advertised as "hard core", so calling it a pavement truck is not a compliment. The issues offroad are

1) dust in the cab if you roll the windows down. The way it is vented, with the windows down the air flow reverses and comes in from under the truck body. Who the hell thought a truck you had to keep the windows rolled up on was a good idea?

2) ABS is way too sensitive. On gravel you damn near cannot stop without the ABS kicking in. When it does, stopping distances triple to quadruple.

3) Limited slips are brake based rather than diff based and instead of power transferring to the non-slip tire, they just slow the slip tire down without helping the other one.

4) electronic locker - actually not bad, but it can only be engaged in 4-lo and is very slow to engage so you 'bout have to come to a complete stop (while slowly sinking out of sight into bottomless mud) waiting for it to engage.

5) electronic shift on the fly 4WD ... very slow to engage and won't engage under load, so, like the locker, you have to sit there sinking to oblivion waiting for the electronics.

6) body design: wraps down over the tires so you cannot do minor lifts for any benefit, y' gotta either cut a lot of sheet metal, or go with a huge lift to put the tires clear under the body.

There are some pretty good ideas in the truck, just all badly implemented. Should have a detroit locker in the back and a gear driven limited slip up front, replace the electronic 4WD with a manual lever, move the air-out exhausts from the cab up to bed level, and open the wheel wells a bit front to back. They came close to building a hell of a truck, then the accountants got ahold of the design. frown

About all it does truly well is haul maximum ass on dry pavement.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always had good luck with vehicles. I do recall my first "WTF" moment when my first computer component went out on a late '70's Dodge Aspen. The part was around $300, and a guy could dang near buy a rebuilt engine for that in those days.

I work from home so I don't put many miles on. I bought a 2005 Colorado that still has only 65K on it. The truck is fine, but I'm reeeally flippin' bored. I've had it for seven years and maybe forever at this rate. I might have to burn it.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
1972 Chevy Nova with a 307 - POS nickle and dimed me for a year before I sold it(1981). Previous owner was named Sullivan and had a decal that said "Sully" on the dash. I left it there and referred to the car as Sully.

Flash forward 5 or so years and I find a green Nova broke down on the side of the road. I stop and sure enough "Sully" was on the dash.

When my wife and I were first dating she needed a new car and I advised her to buy a Honda and her Dad was a buy American guy. She listened to her Dad and bought a Buick Sunfire(?). It was always in the shop. After we were married we sold it, two years later we're going through a Mickey Dee's drive through and who's in the window but the girl we sold it to. She recognized us and raved about what a great car it was and how she would buy a car from us anytime. Guess we sold it after fixing everything.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
87 Ford Ranger 2wd. Kept me from ever getting a second Ford.

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
1985 Chevy Blazer.Looked great, but what a hunk o sh!?- Had about as much power as my brigs and Strat lawnmower,about 14 miles per gal, had trouble with the steering box,frame cracking,power windows,tranny went out twice,(700R4) took half a day to change plugs, leaky valve covers about the same amount of time to fix----But it sure looked good!! grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Cops drive a lot, and in that regard, Chrysler Corp products have always been the worst overall.

I'd say Chrysler products have been the worst overall for me, and I make particular note of the Chrysler-built Jeep Cherokee my wife brought to the marriage.

Recent rentals have not made me think any better of Chryslers, either.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
still owne all 4, there killer on gas and at almost $4.00 agallon they will never go out of the garage last of the good muscle cars

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cadillac Cimmaron

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.