Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hoping someone will steer me in the right direction...

A couple of buddies and I are heading up to the Selway about April 20th, we are planning to stay 10 days. None of us have hunted black bear before and are just looking for an adventure. We are planning to hunt units 16A 17, maybe 19 or 20. We will be taking supplies to bait, call, and stalk if need be. I am wondering is this feasible ?

Any iformation would be greatly appreciated, please feel free to pm me.

Dusty

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Selway is a big area but by your description,I assume your going in the Elk City way to get to all the units you mentioned.Snow is rough getting into most of those in April depending on the weather without snow machines.The Road is not plowed into Dixie(19)nor the Magruder into (17)but unit 20 runs from the Magruder road up to where they stop plowing just past the Red River Ranger Station.

Good luck and if you want anymore info on that area,just ask..When it quits snowing I am headed in that direction Stealhead fishing..Soon..The weather sucks now and the river is rising fast.My son just spent two days out at no-tellum creek.

Jayco

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
We do not have an exact location picked out to go yet. I spoke with a game warden in that area and I am currently thinking of camping on the selway road just down from lowell.

Right now I am just trying to gather up as much information as I can to see if this is something that is doable for a flatland Okie like me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are Idaho laws about baiting. Best check the regs. with Idaho Game and Fish before just throwing stuff out. It could be very costly.

Rolly
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rolly
There are Idaho laws about baiting. Best check the regs. with Idaho Game and Fish before just throwing stuff out. It could be very costly.

Yep. Go the Idaho F&G site.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/

Good luck on your Black bear hunt.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have already spoke with a warden he pointed me in the right direction I was just hoping to get some further assistance being I have never bear hunted or been to Idaho.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
April 20 seems a little early to me but some of the lower country will be open and some hungry bears may be out and about.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Rolly

Yep. Go the Idaho F&G site.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/

Good luck on your Black bear hunt.

L.W.
For starters, need a permit. Also, you have to have ID on your bait stations and they're very specific about containers.
The rules are quite easy to follow, but you must follow them.

Here's how to play: BEAR REGS

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would call up and check snow level 2 weeks before you head up.

Receiving late Spring snow in some areas of the NW this year.

beautiful country in the Selway.

you'll enjoy yourselves.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I live about 48 miles from where your headed and it snowed all night..yuck..But by April it should be spring bear time there.I think you chose about as good a spot anyone not from Idaho should,not knowing the area.Phone close by/wireless Internet and Kooskie just 22 miles down the road with good cell service/store etc..

Good luck on your hunt and keep up on that weekly link I sent you.

Jayco

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would bring up a set of chains for your truck.

If you have not yet hunted the mountains weather can change very quickly. Especially in Spring and Fall. Be aware and prepared forvweather changes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Going in on hard packed snow in the morning can be interesting coming out in the afternoon when it's all mush.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Going in on hard packed snow in the morning can be interesting coming out in the afternoon when it's all mush.

R.C., you ain't kidding! Best to bring a good set of chains, long handled shovel, and a couple of good tow straps. You just never know ...... wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deerslayerok
I have already spoke with a warden he pointed me in the right direction I was just hoping to get some further assistance being I have never bear hunted or been to Idaho.

Binoculars.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An outfit called ROW (Rivers Oddesey West) here in Coeur d'Alene, ID have some cabins right where you are going to hunt. You might give them a call. They have a web site. We have stayed and eaten at their place where you are going to hunt and it is very nice.

Rolly
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
How long will it take to establish a good bait site and start getting bears to come in regularly?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the rule for placing bait for Black bears, from the 2011 Id. F&G regulation booklet.

"NO bait or bait containers may be placed for the purpose of attracting or taking of Black bears before the opening of Black bear take season, except in Units 10, 12, 16A, 17, 19, 20, 20A, 26, and 27, where bait may be placed up to 7 days before the take season."

The several hunters I know who "bait" for bears, put out their bait containers according to this regulation as soon as it is legal. Sometimes the bears will come in before the opener, other times, not until sometime in the season, and sometimes not at all.

I do know that they have trail cams up so they can determine if bears are "hitting" their bait stations. If not, generally they'll move the containers to another location.

L.W.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerslayerok
How long will it take to establish a good bait site and start getting bears to come in regularly?

We always figured two weeks was a good minimum to get bears coming in regularly and this was in country with a good bear population and baits placed a bit further from the road than the "average joe". The longer a bait is out and as the spring warms more bears find it. All that said though, if the bears are active and you are in good area without too many others baiting, you might have bears hitting within a couple days.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (308xray, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, 17 invisible), 17,140 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.