Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
article here

Basically, the EPA had a neat scam going: They had set people up for huge fines that could not be challenged in court. The Supreme Court unanimously ruled against the practice, and in favor of an Idaho couple accused of trying to build a house on "wetlands" that did not appear on the EPA's master list of protected wetlands.

Be not weary in well doing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great news! I've been following that story and I'm glad they got smacked. Those guys make me nuts. I had one in my office the other day because some puzzy employee complained about fumes aboard one of our patrol boats. Spent the whole day here only to find out it's hard to smell engine fumes on an outboard motor doing thirty knots. Idiot even got seasick smile. He then spots a bottle (2 oz!!!)of Whiteout and cites us because we did dot have it under the MSDS Hazmat schedule. This is what it's come down to.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
this is a constant fight down here, where they say everything is a damn wetland.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes indeed the EPA deserved to be whacked on this one and I'm glad it was unanimous.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Although, if you read it correctly, it seems that the EPA cannot fine w/o a means of challenge.. I.e., if they provide (therefore) a means to challenge then the fines could continue...

Am I wrong in this assessment?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Ben Avery Shooting Facility in Phoenix used to have carpet covered blocks of wood, and pieces of carpet for mats available on its ranges. A few weeks ago they disappeared abruptly, with terse signs announcing it.

When I inquired I was told that the EPA showed up one day and took them away because they were contaminated with lead. Can you believe that, lead on a firing range? Whodda thunk it?

Hey, benchresters, look out for your expensive precision adjustable front pedestals. The feds are coming.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
this is a constant fight down here, where they say everything is a damn wetland.

Hey, 10K acres of the High Sonora have just been declared "Wetlands" crazy .

Link: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/k-a...6b63d2c-47f8-588f-adf1-b9b9a2c67175.html

10K acres set aside for threatened frog

Tony Davis Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:00 am

This Chiricahua leopard frog was photographed on the east slope of the Santa Rita Mountains, within the newly designated leopard frog habitat.

The federal government will designate more than 10,000 acres in Arizona and New Mexico as prime habitat for the threatened Chiricahua leopard frog.

More than a dozen streams and many livestock watering tanks across Southern and Central Arizona were picked by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as critical habitat for the frog, a threatened species.

The Las Cienegas National Conservation Area, Florida Canyon in the Santa Rita Mountains, Pe�a Blanca Lake near Nogales, Sycamore Canyon in the Atascosa Mountains and Ramsey and Brown canyons in the Huachuca Mountains are among the critical habitat sites.

But other areas near the proposed Rosemont Mine site in the Santa Ritas that have had leopard frogs were left out because the frogs aren't known to breed there now - largely because there's less water there than there was several decades ago.

The decision means one less legal issue for the mine, since lands designated critical habitat can't be destroyed or seriously modified by projects that need U.S. permits.

Last year, mine opponents with the Center for Biological Diversity and Pima County recommended six livestock watering tank sites on Forest Service and private land in the mine area as prime frog habitat. The Wildlife Service rejected them in its decision this week and chose six other tanks farther away, within two or three miles of the mine site. In recent years, such tanks have become key areas for the leopard frog.

Mary Richardson, a wildlife service supervisory biologist, said the agency determined the Rosemont sites didn't meet critical habitat criteria. First, there is no indication that frogs breed there. Leopard frogs can travel as far as five miles, spending time in one area and breeding in another.

Frog researchers Philip Rosen, of the University of Arizona, and Dennis Caldwell, a private researcher, said the Rosemont-area sites are worth protecting, and that breeding could be restored there. But they agreed that the areas don't meet the feds' critical-habitat standards without breeding populations.

Michael Robinson of the Center for Biological Diversity said that overall, the group is pleased by the habitat decision. But it was disappointed that the Rosemont-area tanks weren't picked.

Robinson said the mine could obliterate frogs on its land and could destroy their ability to survive nearby due to dust, toxic chemicals, blasting sounds and truck traffic.

Julia Fonseca, Pima County's environmental planning manager, wrote the Wildlife Service in 2011 that leopard frogs were reported as "abundant" in the Rosemont area in the 1970s by private biologists. While the surveyors didn't note whether they were Chiricahua or lowland leopard frogs, the Arizona Game and Fish Department concluded in the 1990s they were Chiricahua frogs.

Surveys by Rosemont Copper consulting firm Westland Resources found those frogs in the six Rosemont-area water tank sites in a 2008 survey, but they weren't breeding.

Still, the frogs' presence throughout the Santa Ritas suggests the area contains a regional group of connected populations whose habitat needs protection, said Fonseca and Robinson.

Rosemont Copper official Kathy Arnold said based on the company's surveys for frogs and other species, the Wildlife Service findings met Rosemont's expectations.

"Rosemont works with Arizona Game and Fish, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the University of Arizona and the U.S. Forest Service, as do other ranches and property owners in the area," Arnold, Rosemont's vice president for environmental and regulatory affairs, added in a written statement.

"Contributions besides the survey work include providing water to habitat during dry periods, assisting with stormwater controls to control sediments entering ponds, and managing and providing access to habitat," she said.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Although, if you read it correctly, it seems that the EPA cannot fine w/o a means of challenge.. I.e., if they provide (therefore) a means to challenge then the fines could continue...

Am I wrong in this assessment?

I don't know if this would be the same thing or not, but I had the labor board on me about independent contractor status, I said I had 145 independent contractors, they said they were employees. They threatened almost $400k in fines and penalties if I challenged it and lost, I had one of the biggest labor law firms in Sacramento representing me pro bono because the founding partner Aubrey Hubbert wanted the state supreme court ruling under his belt and thought he could win it. I caved because of the down side risk being damn near half a million bucks.

My point here is that these agencies sometimes bring on the threat of fines and penalties and dangle the carrot of compliance as an out. It seems perhaps like sort of the same dynamics being set with the opportunity to challenge EPA?

That seems a lot better than an iron fisted agency that can't be challenged at all. Seems to me like it might give an opportunity for settling that wasn't there before. Under a court challenge fines would not continue, they are on hold, but they do have a tendency to threaten a worse scenario if you challenge and lose.

In my situation I caved because compliance meant no fines or penalties at all. Had they been going to fine me anyway I'd have had no choice but to challenge them in court.

It sounds like it was a good court decision though.

Last edited by 243WSSM; 03/21/12.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
How is this solidly whacking the EPA? http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/9541aa32a8604852b25a7eec115c34a3

"'Compliance orders will remain an effective means of securing prompt voluntary compliance in those many cases where there is no substantial basis to question their validity,' Scalia said."

All the court found was in this case there is a substantial basis for challenging the EPA's compliance order, and that the couple is entitled to their day in court to determine if their property is covered under the Clean Water Act.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said in a separate opinion that the only issue decided by the court Wednesday is the Sacketts' ability to contest the EPA finding that their property is subject to the Clean Water Act. The court did not decide largers issues, Ginsburg said."

The court did not find that the couple has the right to resume construction. The court turned it into a due process case rather than a property rights case the headline suggests.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The compliance threat is really just backed by the cost to fight them in court. Few people can afford the lawyers necessary to do that.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BritLover
How is this solidly whacking the EPA? http://news.findlaw.com/apnews/9541aa32a8604852b25a7eec115c34a3

"'Compliance orders will remain an effective means of securing prompt voluntary compliance in those many cases where there is no substantial basis to question their validity,' Scalia said."

All the court found was in this case there is a substantial basis for challenging the EPA's compliance order, and that the couple is entitled to their day in court to determine if their property is covered under the Clean Water Act.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said in a separate opinion that the only issue decided by the court Wednesday is the Sacketts' ability to contest the EPA finding that their property is subject to the Clean Water Act. The court did not decide largers issues, Ginsburg said."

The court did not find that the couple has the right to resume construction. The court turned it into a due process case rather than a property rights case the headline suggests.

These people are liable to be dead before they get to build their house.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a solid whack because the EPA was saying nobody could challenge them until the EPA issued an order. But once the order was issued, it was too late to challenge them.

EPA just went from being unable to be challenged to now having to back up their claims in court. No more royal edicts coming down.

Yes, people still have to challenge an EPA finding. But the EPA should be slower to issue stupid ones if they will probably have to defend it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Let's go blow a few holes into the dikes and see what happens...

grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Let's go blow a few holes into the dikes and see what happens...
Lotsa dikes would love to have their holes blown..

Um, er, ah, never mind..

Truly tasteless and crude.. My bad..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Great news! I've been following that story and I'm glad they got smacked. Those guys make me nuts. I had one in my office the other day because some puzzy employee complained about fumes aboard one of our patrol boats. Spent the whole day here only to find out it's hard to smell engine fumes on an outboard motor doing thirty knots. Idiot even got seasick smile. He then spots a bottle (2 oz!!!)of Whiteout and cites us because we did dot have it under the MSDS Hazmat schedule. This is what it's come down to.

He is wrong unless you have someone using whiteout all day long.

That falls under the HAZCOM standard of 29 CFR 1910.1200, paragraph b(6) (ix)) talks about This section does not apply to:

(ix) Any consumer product or hazardous substance, as those terms are defined in Consumer Product Safety Act (15 USC 2051)......, where the employer can show that it is used in a workplace for the purpose intended by the chemical manufacturer or importer of the product, and the use results in a duration and frequency of exposure which is not greater than the range of exposures that could be reasonably experienced by consumers when used for the purpose intended.

that means unless your secretary is incompetant and using it all day long and not occasionally, White out is not required to be on the required inventory and not required to have a MSDS.

That very example (Whiteout) is used to train safety personnel by OSHA who enforces the MSDS standard and the HAZCOM program.

Fight the citation by quoting this paragraph.

Same standards and act applies to EPA!!!!

Last edited by BountyHunter; 03/21/12.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
laugh

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
EPA just went from being unable to be challenged to now having to back up their claims in court. No more royal edicts coming down.

That's the short, sweet version as I understand it.

Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., who was among those protesting most strongly at that hearing, wrote a separate opinion Wednesday complaining that the scope of the Clean Water Act�s application to private property is unclear, and Congress or the EPA should move to clarify it. Alito also argued that the treatment of the Sacketts, and others denied a right to sue EPA, was �unthinkable� in a countfy that values due process.

You just have to love a man like that... full article here.

What he seems to have opened is a path toward "void for vagueness".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My family is a victimof ther drive by wetlands designations, we have 100 acres with about 10 of them wetland, they say it is 70% wetland, this is a big win for us,

Agencies that believe they wont be held accountable are always tyranical.they do sloppy work and can not be held accoountable.

It is great news because this decission was unanoumous, and it will put other agencies in check too.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hold the record for the American with the most guns who does not own a 9MM.

I'm trying to catch up!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (280rem_cm, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 17 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.