Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
pa_gus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a patch of it on my foot. I never used to get it, but came down with a terrible case of it a few years ago, and seem to get it every year now. I'm just doing the over the counter stuff now (tecnu?). But i would hate to have this spread. I mentioned it to my boss, and his advice was, "wirebrush the heck out of it, and then put gasoline on it." .... note to self- never get in a fight with your boss!

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipe everything down really well with rubbing alcohol. Oil from the plant is what causes the skin to react. You need to make sure you get all the oil from the infected area. Alcohol will cut it and remove it...

Once you get all the oil gone, go the clinic and get a prescription for some high-potency hydrocortisone.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm extremely allergic to it, and have never found any over-the-counter remedies to be effective for my cases. Even the prescription topical steroidal creams don't seem to work.
If I get it and it spreads, I unfortunately have to use prednisone to knock it out.
There are two OTC's that have been effective for my wife that you could try if they are still available- one is Ivy Dry (or Super Ivy Dry), the other AnIvy. Cortaid works for some folks too.

pa_gus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Already doing the rubbing alcohol thing. I'll look into the hydrocortisone. The case of it I had a couple of years ago required steroids, don't want to go down that route again.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your boss sounds like a good guy. I was going to say dump gas on the foot and light--------best of luck. Go to a Doc, best way.

Last edited by Wtxj; 03/21/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better get it knocked out ASAP. I think once you have a reaction to it, your body becomes less and less able to fight it.

My dad gets itching if he drives by it in a car.. wink

When I was a kid it didn't bother me. Now I get it pretty easy and it's getting harder and harder to knock out...

Good luck....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If it is going to spread it is too late to stop right now. All you can do is alleviate the symptoms (e.g., steroids) and wait it out now.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera gel and Tea Tree oil works for some.

Jayco

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Urushiol is the oily substance in poison ivy. It is present in stems and leaves. When you have been outside and think you might have been exposed, take a shower and make a paste out of your clothes washing powder (Tide). Add enough water to make a paste and wash with it especially hands, under fingernails, arms, and legs. This breaks down the oil and you will have a lighter case if you have any blisters at all. The liquid in the blisters, contrary to popular belief, does not spread the stuff.

If you are clearing property and are burning poison ivy or oak, don't get in the smoke of the fire.

For severe cases you will need a medrol dosepak from your doctor and some hydrocortisone cream as mentioned by deerwhacker.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
As previously mentioned, getting the oil off with alcohol or other solvent is the first step. Only the initial skin exposure to the oil will cause the rash. Once the oil is gone, no amount of scratching, abusing, etc. will cause further spread.

One reason the rash appears to spread on some folks is that they got varying amounts of the oil on the skin to begin with, with the greatest oil concentrations causing the rash to appear at those areas first and appear next at areas of less concentration. OR, they didn't wash the oil off well to begin with and scratching, rubbing, etc. spread the oil to other parts of the body.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if i get into poison ivy, it's bad. i'm real allergic to it. usually every year, i have to get a shot when i contact it.
the pill pacs tear up my stomach so i usually just tell them to give me the needle.
the alchohol rub does work. worst i ever had it was clearing some brush and burning stuff that had it in it. had it in my lungs, eyes about swelled shut. it was awful.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A shot of cortisone or a steroid dosepak.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I found washing with Dawn or any good dishsoap that breaks down oils, followed by alcohol, then, once dry, coated with calamine lotion does a decent job. Also, used a hair dryer on it to kill the itching.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
when you get done outside and think you were exposed to PI then wash your body down with Dawn dishwashing soap. it will remove the oils then and there. however if you have touched anything, other clothes, gloves, furniture, BED, anything, and you left oil on it and come back later it will infect any area that comes into contact. oh and by all means if your dog was with you at the time, wash the mutt right away! do not let that pooch jump into bed with you that night before washing and contaminate the sheets or whatever else will be touching your person.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 03/21/12.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is going to sound crazy, but lye soap works better than anything I have ever seen. You moisten the bar, rub it on the rash and let it dry.......it stops the itching and dries the rash.

My wife makes lye soap, so it's not a problem for me to get it.......wish I could tell you where to get some.......short of that, you might try it with the nastiest, strongest bar soap you can find......give it a try, what have you got to lose??

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's what I found on the Mayo Clinc website under Lifestyle and home remedies.
  • Over-the-counter low-potency corticosteroid creams, such as hydrocortisone, applied two to four times a day
  • Calamine lotion
  • Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better
  • Cool-water tub soaks with over-the-counter colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno) or baking soda
  • Cool, wet compresses for 15 to 30 minutes several times a day

pa_gus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm blaming it on the mutt. He kept looking at me with these sad, questioning eyes while I was washing him down. " what did I do to deserve this?" I could almost hear him say

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A shot of cortisone or a steroid dosepak.

DF
+1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pa_gus
I have a patch of it on my foot. I never used to get it, but came down with a terrible case of it a few years ago, and seem to get it every year now. I'm just doing the over the counter stuff now (tecnu?). But i would hate to have this spread. I mentioned it to my boss, and his advice was, "wirebrush the heck out of it, and then put gasoline on it." .... note to self- never get in a fight with your boss!
That's typical of poison ivy. You can wallow in it for years without a reaction, then one day it will grab you. You'll be susceptible from now on. It's an allergic reaction that builds up in the body. Some get it real fast, others can go for years before it nails them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others)

I've gotten in a few times in my life, three times really bad. Benadryl along with the standard over the counter crap has worked well enough.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,605
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.