Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Docksider
no I don't come from a high crime area but I have had some weird encounters in the middle of the day running. That's with people and animals. I am always aware that anything can happen.

Yes things do happen but.....

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I think a lot depends on when you drive through. If you mentioned it, I missed it. In summer, I wouldn't worry about finding fuel. In winter, I wouldn't go below half and not count on all places being open then.

I could tell you stories about horse allergies - and I still have them. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Elf
no I don't come from a high crime area but I have had some weird encounters in the middle of the day running. That's with people and animals. I am always aware that anything can happen.

Yes things do happen but.....
Pretty much I"m with docksider, carry and you'll never need it, don't have it and one day you'll be sorry you didn't.

I"d rather be able to defend myself if the time ever comes. And we are in a pretty good area for low crime rates where I'm at.

Plus every Alaskan that I know carries something at almost all times....

I don't see the need for negativity towards her simply being prepared.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even with the latest milepost places that are listed as gas stations could have gone out of business, so keeping the tank 1/2 full and carrying an extra 5 gallons is prudent. When we moved up in the spring of 97 we stopped at one place listed as a gas station that was closed, and topped off our tank with the extra 5 gallons we carried. We probably could have gotten by without the extra fuel, but it was cutting it too close for comfort.

Just make sure your vehicle is in good shape before departing, fresh battery and make sure the tires are closer to new than closer to the wear nubs. The road is generally in pretty good shape and modern cars are generally pretty reliable. But having a small tool kit, extra coolant, radiator repair, hose patch, extra window washer fluid etc is prudent. Also take your time to enjoy the ride. Figure a pace based on an average speed of at most 50mph.

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No negativity intended just curious, docksider comes across as a bit nervous when interacting with people and wildlife. Maybe she's had a horrible experience and it's justified not my place to judge but as a woman I'm interested as to why. Does it mean I should carry a taser and pepperspray during my daily outings in Alaska? Am I not cautious enough in my daily routine? Should I be more aware of my surroundings here? Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to help those that have become laxadayical in their everyday life.

IC B2

D
OP Offline
D
I just like to be prepared. I am not nervous or paranoid. I know I am a woman and how I could be a target. Plus in this case I have never been camping, or out in this part of the country. so it's been nice to hear everyone's advice and stories. do you know that human trafficking and kidnappings happen everyday almost anywhere in the world. Didn't you hear about the young girl from anchorage I believe that was working. They found the guy in Tx and haven't found her. I am just saying..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Elf
No negativity intended just curious, docksider comes across as a bit nervous when interacting with people and wildlife. Maybe she's had a horrible experience and it's justified not my place to judge but as a woman I'm interested as to why. Does it mean I should carry a taser and pepperspray during my daily outings in Alaska? Am I not cautious enough in my daily routine? Should I be more aware of my surroundings here? Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to help those that have become laxadayical in their everyday life.

Yeah, IMHO, going anywhere without packing something, is not quite as smart as one should be. I"m guilty of leaving the house at times without, but I try not to. Never totally unarmed though, save for specific tasks at hand, and then usually not more than arms length or a room away.

And FWIW the one at arms length once saved our Irish Setter... I saw him being snuck up on by a yote a long time ago, and had I to unlock a safe etc... instead of opening the door and slipping the AR out... I don't think he'd have made it at his age... yote was dumb enough to follow the setter back to within 250 yards of the house that morning...

Its not always the 2 leggers either as noted.

Didn't understand the inflection of your post, but having communicated with you off and on it didn't make sense to me. Keyboards just dont do justice to our posts sometimes. Nor the English language as a whole or how I or others use it at times.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Goes back to the joke about the elderly lady that got pulled over by an officer. He walked up to the car and saw she had two guns on the front seat. He asked Ma'am, what are you afraid of?" She said "absolutely nothing."
Doesn't do any good to own 30 guns and not have one of them with you if you need it.
Lots of good advice being given here, good luck on your trip!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or... why do I carry a gun? Because a cop is to heavy.

D
OP Offline
D
I do agree with what someone said to me once " don't ever carry a gun if you never intend to use it. It is far more dangerous to carry and have someone use it against you."

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Self defense starts with your mind.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There is an Oil&Gas Boom in Northern Alberta and BC . Lodging may be at a premium in some locations, plan your overnight stops in advance. Make reservations or be prepared to sleep in your vehicle.

Flyer

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
yeah I have heard that you should get gas everywhere you can, is that true? I mean my car is an 2007 so the gas mileage is pretty good.

Between the Southern BC border, and Fort St John, you'll be fine....Get gas in FSJ, and regardless of what you drive you'll be fine to Fort Nelson. Gas up there, and you'll be fine to Watson Lake....Although as has been said, a headwind up here, will cut your mileage a bunch, so a gas can isn't the worst idea.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Flyer01
There is an Oil&Gas Boom in Northern Alberta and BC . Lodging may be at a premium in some locations, plan your overnight stops in advance. Make reservations or be prepared to sleep in your vehicle.

Flyer

Thats a very good point. Quite often Fort St John and Fort Nelson are at a zero vacancy rate on hotels/motels. More than quite often. Book a few days in advance and you'll be fine.

Think about 7 hours Kamloops to Prince George, 5 from Prince George to Fort St John, 4 from FSJ to Fort Nelson, 4 Fort Nelson to Watson.....Plan along those lines.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My wallet had been stolen in Winnemucca. My wife's Alaska DL was 8 month's expired. No ID on our two young boys. Guns in the truck, which we declared.

But they made us eat our Napa Valley corn before we could continue into Canada.... We had so many things wrong we couldn't possibly be trying to get away with anything!.. . ( There's more to the story!)

North of Calgary, the gravel-pit camping works just fine... There's places you can stop and take a shower.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
OP Offline
D
Well I have got my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, and first aid kit all ready to go! I am so excited! Yes I am going to try and camp when I can but no I am not just stopping some where to camp. I will be stopping at campgrounds along the way. Any suggestions?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Where do you plan to enter into Canada and what's your proposed route?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a good trip, the only bad part of the road, is around Distruction Bay. Gravel and well that tends to break windshields. Have your car serviced before you go. Do shocks and tires if they are worn. Take and extra belt or two. One of the things is that if you stop on the side of the road, people will stop to see if you are ok. Its an Alaskan and Canadian thing. I stopped once on my trip to Anchorage the first time and a fellow from the NWT stopped to see if I was ok, and that I should go up the hill to take a photo of the bear, I said I am not that stupid the bears were out of the dens all of a week and hungry and that made them dangerous. He then broke out the stove for a cup of tea. I drove it by myself, and well I planned five days on the Alcan. You want to stop for lunch at Muckluks Annies and at Stone Mt. There is a gas station there that has some of the best fresh baked bread you will ever find if they are still in business. There is also a hotel there that is the biggest log Building in Canada if not the world. I stayed there a few time. Nice spot, its a good 200 miles to White Horse. Keep the tank full. And do yourself a favor, enjoy the trip. I seen Grizzlies on the side of the road, they pay no mind, they just go about doing what they do, eat and anything they want.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I have got my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, and first aid kit all ready to go! I am so excited! Yes I am going to try and camp when I can but no I am not just stopping some where to camp. I will be stopping at campgrounds along the way. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't necc assume that campgrounds are any safer than a pullout on the side of the road. Maybe. Maybe not. Being prepared is better still. Pullouts are cheaper... I mean if I 'm going to pay , it may as well be a motel... Can't stand paying to set up MY tent...

Wasp spray....

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I am going to Anchorage. I thought the comment about Vancouver was funny as well. That's why I told everyone I was a woman.

Steelhead don't blush.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 48 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,756
Posts18,514,833
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.