Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
We were sitting on the top deck of my buddies house, when I noticed a couple grows, across the creek, and in the woods about a hundred yards away. I said I should go grab my 22 mag out of my truck and pop a couple of them, and he said go grab it. Being that it' s his house I let him take the first shot, bang flop the crows down and not moving. Perfect shot. After about 20 minutes I'm like we should walk down across the creek and see what kind of shot he made on the bird. We get to the bird and it's sitting upright with the bullet entering it's beak and out it's left eye, face covered in blood, and the ground covered in blood. I pick up a stick to club the damn thing and it just flies away with half it's face gone. Any of you guys have any similar experiences

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep. I shot one standing in the middle of a gravel road with a Hornet. It was about 175 yards away and I held a bit too high. Took the top of its skull ( ? ) off. You could see its brain. It was just standing there with those far away eyes when I got to it. Spooky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hit a duck that was WAAAAYY oout there with one pelet from my shotgun charge, steel #2 pellet. The one pellet that hit him took out both of his eyes. When I went to retreive him he heard my footfalls and tried to fly off but ran into some trees and dropped again iinto the water. That was a hard duck to retrieve, blind but fully capable of flight, smimming etc. I really felt pretty badly for it. I don't take longer shots at ducks anymore. If I am not pretty danged sure that I can put a pile of pellets in them I no longer try the shot.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Turkey, 40 yards or so away, had a target .22 with the deck railing for a dead steady rest, figured I'd make an eye shot, what could be more instant than that, right?

Bullet went right through the eye and through the other eye, the turkey acted like nothing was wrong with him except he couldn't see and kept running into things. I chased him through a creek trying to get a shot off to finish him off. Funny thing was I was so sure of the shot I left my rifle on the deck and went to get the bird, I ended up in a foot race with it and had to go back and get the rifle. It wasn't until I shot it again that I could see what was up.

My wife is a bird specialty veterinarian so I was asking her if that was possible, she said it's sinus or nasal type passages there.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
My buddy shot a blue grouse with a 20 guage from a mere 20 or so yards (im not 100% sure, I was back a ways behind him)... Damn thing flopped around.... He went up to get it and it flew off!

I shot a fox with a 3" load of BB's from my 12 gauge from about 5 yards a couple years ago. I could tell the fox was hit a little back, but was hit hard. About 10 minutes later I went to go get it and its just laying there, kind of with puppy dog eyes. IT was a pretty female, so from 5 feet I was contemplating another 12 gauge shot, a shot from the xd or a rock. All of a sudden, out of nowhere it jumped up and hauled ass. I managed to get another shot off before it dove off of a small cliff, I was surprised to see it laying there on the other side dead.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 243WSSM
Turkey, 40 yards or so away, had a target .22 with the deck railing for a dead steady rest, figured I'd make an eye shot, what could be more instant than that, right?

Bullet went right through the eye and through the other eye, the turkey acted like nothing was wrong with him except he couldn't see and kept running into things. I chased him through a creek trying to get a shot off to finish him off. Funny thing was I was so sure of the shot I left my rifle on the deck and went to get the bird, I ended up in a foot race with it and had to go back and get the rifle. It wasn't until I shot it again that I could see what was up.

My wife is a bird specialty veterinarian so I was asking her if that was possible, she said it's sinus or nasal type passages there.
That's what happened with us we could see the crow not moving watched it for a good 20 minutes so we didn't bother to grab the gun. I'm sure it's dead by now though

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Was crow hunting with a shotgun and electronic caller. I shot one crow that fell into some brush but wasn't dead when I picked it up. A real crow makes a great decoy so I tossed the crow into the clearing were the caller was but the crow never hit the ground, it recovered in mid air and flew about 50 yards before hitting a tree.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have talked to guys that have put squirrels and pheasants
in their game vest pocket after shooting them and feel them
moving around later on and having to finish them off.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jericho

I have been that guy! Try it with a 5lb Snowshoe hare! That will get your attention...:D

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Many years ago I shot a large raccoon out of a tree with
a 22 rifle and when I walked up to it I flipped it over
with my foot. It was very much alive and I had only grazed
its head, Im glad I didnt pick him up first.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That's why I like ground squirrel shooting - goo doesn't come back to life. Note severed front paw to right of the rat's head - rest disappeared into spray. Varmint Grenades are just that.

[Linked Image]

Crows hit with my varmint rifles would appear to be the spherical puff of a black firework going off. Cool!

Always use enough gun.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Heres a strange crow shooting.

Back in the 50's dad bought a new Rem 721 in .270. He just had to shoot it so we went to a friends farm. Dad took a shot at about 150yds at a crow siting on a limb. The rifle had open sites as he couldnt afford both a new rifle and a scope. The crow pitched right off the limb.

When we got to it, the crow was grave yard dead and the only mark on it was a few feathers on the left wing had been clipped off. Shot never broke the skin.

Dad was convinced of the .270's magical powers. A belief he kept til his death 40yrs later. Honestly, in his hands, the dern thing was magical. It still works pretty good for me to this day.

O

Too old to suffer fools
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
While squirrel hunting over the years I have shot squirrels
out of trees and watch them fall and hit the ground hard.
Only to walk over to find them gone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shot a turkey once and threw it in the back of the jeep and after I was driving down the road he was sitting up in the back looking at me. so I had to pull over and ring his neck

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ever seen the movie "Tommy Boy" when they load the dead deer
in the back of the car after they hit it? "ITS ALIVE"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I went pheasant hunting with the pastor of the church in southwest Kansas. He hit one bird which climbed quite high usually indicating a head hit. It flew maybe 3/8 of a mile and glided into a patch of weeds. The pastor felt terrible about wounding the pheasant and prayed out loud that he could find it and it wouldnt be wasted. About 30 minutes later we came around to that area, when a rooster got up at my feet flying toward him. It got about 6 or 8 feet in the air when it just folded and fell dead right at his feet. He picked it up, looked to heaven and said "thank you Lord" as he put it in his vest. When he cleaned it, it had one pellet in its head. True story.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Once did a head shot with a .22 on a grey squirrel. He ran up the tree and dived over to a second tree, then into a third . He was jumping to a fourth tree when he died in mid-air. The bullet went in between his right ear and eye and exited the corner of his left eye. Never seen one go so far after a head shot.

Another time I shot a fox squirrel sitting on a limb facing me. He was about 12 feet up, standing on his hind legs. At the shot he didn't move at all. I watched him for about a minute. Still no movement from him so I moved. He sat right there.

I got under the limb a saw blood. Took a stick and threw it up, knocking him from the tree. The bullet had entered the tip of his nose and exited the base of his skull. Dead but still on his feet.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard of guys shooting crows when they are in the
trees and they dangle from the limb upside down for quite
awhile before they fall to the ground.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't say it has happened to me with a bird, but it did happen with an antelope I shot a couple years ago. Shot with .30-06 from about 100yd. Dropped at the shot(high shoulder) and never moved till i made the first cut to gut it, it picked its head up and looked at me.The next cut was across the throat.

Isaiah 6:8

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Jericho

I have been that guy! Try it with a 5lb Snowshoe hare! That will get your attention...:D

Ed

That made me ROR!!

laugh

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (7mm_Loco, 35, 6mmbrfan, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 8 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,948
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.