Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who makes a really good high quality propane outdoor grill?? Recommendations?? Thanks, 163bc

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Weber, that's pretty much all you need to know. wink

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Were you annuncing your engagement to a crackhead stripper, I'd find it my duty to wave you off.

I respect your intent, but I feel no less of a duty here.

Charcoal is the way to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought this was going to be about new false teeth.

Weber

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wood,charcoal, or briquets is the way to go as Fubarski points out, all other sources of heat for cooking, are going to be cheating. Go back to your caveman roots, learn to make fire and cook meat. When I say cheating I'm not only referring to the actual cooking process but the taste of the finished product.

My 2 Cents,
Mike

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm just about to replace the grates on the Weber Silver Series propane grill we picked up back in '04. The ceramic grates lasted that long, but I'll be getting the SS replacements, so they may last 20 years.

We use soaked mesquite/hickory, etc. chips in a little cast iron tray for good thick smoke while grilling & it works damn well. I'd follow the above advice for real smokers if I were smoking, or slow cooking over low heat often, but you can always add a wood/charcoal type smoker later. They really are awesome, but the gassers are quick and great for cooking at higher temps, or quicker cooking of stuff like steaks, burgers, brats, deer sausage, etc. The wood chip smoke closes the gap between real smokers a good bit, too.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought you meant this kind of grill:

http://www.smilorama.com/img01/teeth-grillz13.jpg

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Weber. I picked up a Genesis last year and couldn't be happier. My parents and sister have since bought ones as well. They cost a bit more, but the quality and customer service (if you even need it) make it worth it.

I find that mine heats very evenly and I'm not dealing will hot spots. Really nice when I'm cooking for a crowd. You can't go wrong.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think anyone can say their butane, propane, or natural gas fire can even approach the temperature obtained from a charcoal fire in a Weber traditonal round 22 1/2" grill. I can cook, to my liking an 1 1/2" to 2" thick steak in 7 minutes for rare to medium rare cooking time.

If you start out each session with a handful of wood and the remnants of last times fire in the bottom, apply lighter fuel, put your new charcoal on top of the top grate and light it, with heat raising as it does you can fire the new charcoal then dump it to the bottom grate and reposition it. The top grate can now be brushed and you're ready to go in as little as 10 to 15 minutes.

My dad taught me this technique in the 70's and I've been doing it for 30 years.

If you like the char on the outside and medium do the same as above but as soon as the outside is charred on both side in 5 minutes or so, shut off all the air vents and cook for a little while longer usually 5 - 10 or so more minutes.

Take the meat off and let it sit for at least 5 to 10 milnutes before cutting into it.

Mike

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta love you guys....the OP asked about a gas grill and ya'll take off on tangents.

163bc I am looking hard at a Jenn Air, but I am going to wait until the end of the season to get a better price. Right now the model I am looking at is around $800.

Now for the boobs that are gonna question my sanity...bite me!

Other than byc I probably have more dang grills than 3 of ya put together. From tiny Webers thru medium up to large. The toss in a BGE and a gasser or 3 small to big. I'm not even going to count other stuff around here. They all have their uses and place.

Any one that uses briquets for a grill is certifiably nutz. Them nasty things are for dutch oven cooking. Get some lump charcoal and leave the chemical crap for the DO.

YMMV wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MtMike
Weber, that's pretty much all you need to know. wink

This

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish they made a grill that would last!! I have owned a good amount of them in the past 20 years and they all seem to rust out

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I wish they made a grill that would last!! I have owned a good amount of them in the past 20 years and they all seem to rust out

The Weber Genesis is guaranteed for 20-years.

I grill 3-5 times per week all year so propane gets the nod. The Weber is ready to go in 10-minutes, maybe 15-minutes in January.

All you charcoal guys just need to learn how to cook. smirk

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What's the best grill?

The one YOU like.

My input to the OP was akin to tellin a friend he had broccoli stuck in his teeth. Just tryin to help.

I got no clue when it comes to methane-coated food, so I couldn't help in that area.

OBTW, you "gas" ppl need to learn to sart a fire. (Sarcasm smiley).

Best of luck, whatever you do.

Only important thing, is there's a risk of explosion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We ordered this Weber about 45 minutes ago. Should be sweet, charcoal would be nice but I don't want to make dinner an 'event' after working all day.

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Ou...-38000-BTU/pc/12/c/178/sc/1583/25697.uts

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/25/12.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. I have an older model of the same grill. Be careful of the temp the first few times you use it. It will really get hot until the shiny inside blackens up.

There's a tray under the burners that slides out for cleaning, so you can experiment with laying wood on the burners or grill for flavoring. Ashes will just drop into the tray.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 163bc
Who makes a really good high quality propane outdoor grill?? Recommendations?? Thanks, 163bc

DCS

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JOG, it took us awhile to save up but I didn't want to end up with a cheapy that needed replacing in 4 or 5 years.

Thanks for the tips, I'll probably be PMing you in a couple weeks for more pointers.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We ordered this Weber about 45 minutes ago. Should be sweet, charcoal would be nice but I don't want to make dinner an 'event' after working all day.

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Ou...-38000-BTU/pc/12/c/178/sc/1583/25697.uts

You'll love the three burners on that unit. When you want indirect heat to not have flare ups on greasier dripping stuff, just cut the front one off, adjust the other two & you're good to go.

I always burn mine clean for maybe 10 minutes on high after cooking, so it doesn't get all gunked up & empty the grease drip catcher pan regularly, unless you want a nice, smokey show & a shouting, flailing wife when it catches fire! cool

The heavy lid really holds the heat well, too, so avoid opening it too much & get a feel of how long stuff takes per side. yours looks like it comes with SS grates which should last a very long time. My cheaper porcelain coated lasted about 8 years.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't wait to try it out, really looking forward to cooking up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.