Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6332540 03/25/12
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK we all know how the recoil of a heavy caliber or magnum feels and works on the shoulder. I'm not talking felt recoil but actual recoil. With the recent surgery I have had on my chest, I have been thinking a lot about the affect that recoil will have on my chest. Since I have been out of the hospital the only rifles I have shot are my 257 Roberts and the 17 mach 2. Both light in the recoil department. My 280 Remington and my 12 & 16 gauge shotguns should be OK also. I will find out soon how they feel, with a couple trips to the trap range and rifle range.

I'm thinking of of a 375 cal in a #1. Is anyone able to tell me how your chest feels when you shoot your 375. Do you feel a heavy pull/stretching in the chest.

Maybe I should give a little more insight as to the surgery. The surgery required my sternum to be cut open and wired back up. Unfortunately I have been informed that I will never 100% heal from this and have to be careful not to split it open and face anther surgery.

Last edited by simplyme; 03/25/12.

I am Canadian.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot would depend on the location of the surgery, and also the how close the rifle butt is to the surgery cutting.

I have a pacemaker, and I would not even consider firing a rifle, even a .22 RF, on the side with the pacemaker.

Of course, that is just me. Others might look at it a little different.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A No. 1 is probably the worst kicker in 375 H&H made.
Own a rather nice one:

[Linked Image]

Wonderful cast bullet gun but full loads just hurt.

Underlying question is: why a 375 ?

If you must have one, a Ruger 77 RSM (discontinued) with a good pad added, kicks no worse than a 9 pound 30-06. It also weighs the most of any mass produced bolt action 375 H&H.

With today's super bullets a 308 Winchester will kill anything
in the lower 48 or Canada.

Good luck !

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would guess you need something with a slow recoil impulse....had a light weight 375WSM(akin to a light weight 375H&H) the recoil wasnt heavy but it happened quick and liked to stretch stuff out real good.....it never hurt my shoulder due to a good recoil pad but it came back fast enough that it tried to stretch the tendons and ligaments in my shoulder and back(and im guessing chest)....

my guess is you would want a 375 in either a heavier rifle or something that throws heavier bullets a bit slower which will have a slower recoil velocity....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

One option would be a rifle in 9.3x62 at no less than 8.5lbs all up w/scope,loaded,and sling.
I should add that the stock should be a proper fitting one for you.

Last edited by EZEARL; 03/25/12.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You might want to give up heavy recoiling guns forever. It will suck, but suck less than screwing up your repair. Just my two cents, not that you asked for them.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been exactly 3 yrs since I was opened up,I started working hard (I have too) too soon and was sore for a year and a half! Fine now and shoot the 358 Norma pretty regular but not wanting to be a recoil crash test dummy my 425 Express is up for sale.[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you all.

I am Canadian.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A No. 1 in 375 H&H or 375 Ruger with a muzzle brake and a Limbsaver pad shouldn't be any worse than a 30-06 and possibly a little lighter.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ 1 on the 9.3x62 idea, or one of the new Sabbati Doubles in 9.3x74R. I want one of those pretty bad! No reason for more gun than those two, for anything that walks on this planet.

Good luck and I am very glad that you were able to be patched up.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I had a "cabbage", quad bypass in 2005. I specifically asked my Doctor how it would affect my shooting heavy recoiling rifles, golf, atv and off-road motorcycle riding etc, and how soon could I get back to those activities. He showed me an X-ray of his "wiring job" and said you won't feel like doing much more than crying for a few weeks and as soon as I felt good enough I could do anything I did before the operation and as far as the wire job is concerned I could start banging away tomorrow...BUT...it would be better to wait until the arteries and my leg healed a bit before I started chasing "wildlife".

I think you should ASK YOUR DOCTOR what to do, not the internet, also.

The Doc was correct...I was out shooting light weight, small cal rifles and pistols with basically no recoil within a few weeks...BUT...it took over a year for my WHOLE BODY to recover enough to even think about picking up anything in the 375 cal and above or busting off across the desert on my KTM...that operation and the bodies repair mechanism takes a long time to get over the SHOCK of the operation, but not all that long to heal up the various cuts.

I didn't start on the large cals for about 2 years but worked up slowly from 6mm and longer and longer hikes/walks carrying a rifle, light pack and belt pistol. When I could shoot 50 rnds of full load 200 gr bullets in my '06 without discomfort and 235gr full loads in my 375 H&H with no problems I just went ahead playing with the rest of my heavy hitters.

Today I have little problems banging away with my 50 cal Rigby, 458's, or 45-120 all with heavy bullets and heavy loads in my 20 and 12 ga from hell just give me a bloody nose now and then when I don't hold then tight enough and whack myself in the nose with my right thumb.

I cut 4-8 cords of firewood a year, gave up two wheels for a 4 wheel ATV, my eyes and reflexes just weren't up to the task, but I still get wild and haired out now and then on the atv. When I overdo it my chest hurts basically because the wire DOESN'T expand and contract, but the meat does and basically gets bruised internally.

It all depends on YOU, what YOUR DOCTOR SAYS, the extent of the operation and the prognosis.

From your description tho...I think I would think hard about mucking about doing ANYTHING that would basically be life threatning as far as turning into a split chicken again...but it's YOUR LIFE AND YOUR CHOICE.

If I couldn't do the things I love to do and spent a lifetime doing, then my life would be over anyway...Having no family to consider, I would do what I wanted to do until my time was over..."ANY day is a good day to die" are words to think about...but don't be all that in a hurry to go "easy into that last good night"...I still have a few more "wildlife chases" left in me, and YOU probably do to. grin laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent point. I am constantly amazed at the questions on health, law, finance and relationships that are aired on the Internet with no idea if the response is from a professional or a serial killer.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...or just think, some disrespecting, condescending, schizophrenic, not quite dealer.

Wares at the other end of the world, cash up front and sadvice gratis.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NFG
I had a "cabbage", quad bypass in 2005. I specifically asked my Doctor how it would affect my shooting heavy recoiling rifles, golf, atv and off-road motorcycle riding etc, and how soon could I get back to those activities. He showed me an X-ray of his "wiring job" and said you won't feel like doing much more than crying for a few weeks and as soon as I felt good enough I could do anything I did before the operation and as far as the wire job is concerned I could start banging away tomorrow...BUT...it would be better to wait until the arteries and my leg healed a bit before I started chasing "wildlife".

I think you should ASK YOUR DOCTOR what to do, not the internet, also.

The Doc was correct...I was out shooting light weight, small cal rifles and pistols with basically no recoil within a few weeks...BUT...it took over a year for my WHOLE BODY to recover enough to even think about picking up anything in the 375 cal and above or busting off across the desert on my KTM...that operation and the bodies repair mechanism takes a long time to get over the SHOCK of the operation, but not all that long to heal up the various cuts.

I didn't start on the large cals for about 2 years but worked up slowly from 6mm and longer and longer hikes/walks carrying a rifle, light pack and belt pistol. When I could shoot 50 rnds of full load 200 gr bullets in my '06 without discomfort and 235gr full loads in my 375 H&H with no problems I just went ahead playing with the rest of my heavy hitters.

Today I have little problems banging away with my 50 cal Rigby, 458's, or 45-120 all with heavy bullets and heavy loads in my 20 and 12 ga from hell just give me a bloody nose now and then when I don't hold then tight enough and whack myself in the nose with my right thumb.

I cut 4-8 cords of firewood a year, gave up two wheels for a 4 wheel ATV, my eyes and reflexes just weren't up to the task, but I still get wild and haired out now and then on the atv. When I overdo it my chest hurts basically because the wire DOESN'T expand and contract, but the meat does and basically gets bruised internally.

It all depends on YOU, what YOUR DOCTOR SAYS, the extent of the operation and the prognosis.

From your description tho...I think I would think hard about mucking about doing ANYTHING that would basically be life threatning as far as turning into a split chicken again...but it's YOUR LIFE AND YOUR CHOICE.

If I couldn't do the things I love to do and spent a lifetime doing, then my life would be over anyway...Having no family to consider, I would do what I wanted to do until my time was over..."ANY day is a good day to die" are words to think about...but don't be all that in a hurry to go "easy into that last good night"...I still have a few more "wildlife chases" left in me, and YOU probably do to. grin laugh

course the other end to this if your doc aint familiar with rifles they cant give you any direction....had a bulge removed from a disk in my back in October a couple years ago...since he didnt know guns he couldnt tell me chit so i just skipped hunting that year....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have given this a lot of thought, and with advice from others, I will be sticking with my 257 Roberts and 25-06 for the spring hunting season. When my 280 gets back I will play more with it.

Thank You all

I am Canadian.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was a bit of a wuss about recoil, Ive got a couple of collapsed vertebrae. Damaged vertebrae in my neck, etc. Finally got a Howa 1500 in Ruger 375. Havent bought a factory load for it yet. I worked up loads with milder bullets like the Hornady 225 and worked my way up to 300grers @ about 2750. Two points, one , the Hogue stock and most any other poly/ Rubbermaid stocks "give" a lot more than pretty wood and this moderates recoil-a lot. Second dont sit at a bench and bang away for hours. Ive seen no problems at this time. I know its not the same thing, but just wanted to mention a couple of recoil easing factors.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I detest muzzlebreaks, because they work exactly as designed.

That said, if my physical condition changed so that I could no longer handle the recoil of the medium and heavy bores without pain or physical damage, I would not hesitate to have every one of the muzzles of their barrels fit with an eargasplitten loudenboomer.

That and asside from load work and zeroing in, all my practice is done with air rifles, 22rf's and 223's.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'am with 458 Lott well sead.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think you've made an intelligent decision, sticking with the lighter kicking rifles for now.

My Number One in .375 really isn't a problem for me, it doesn't seem to kick anywhere near as hard as some other, even less powerful, rifles I've shot. I even enjoy shooting it ten or twenty rounds from prone. It's more of a thump than the .30-06 of course, but not all that bad. Had shoulder surgery a few years ago. When I was able to start shooting again, I started with the .22 rimfire, then the .223, then my .25-06, and decided that was enough rifle for that season. Good call I think. These days I'm back up to shooting the .375, not a problem. 300 yards, 260 Accubonds at the steel gong. Lots of fun!

[Linked Image]

The stock design agrees with me. A Pachmayer decelerator recoil pad helps a fair bit. Generally I shoot 260 or 270 grain bullets. The 300's aren't bad, but recoil enough harder for me to notice. I tend to shoot the 260's & 270's better.

Perhaps in time, you'll be able to shoot the big gun again!

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by simplyme
OK we all know how the recoil of a heavy caliber or magnum feels and works on the shoulder. I'm not talking felt recoil but actual recoil. With the recent surgery I have had on my chest, I have been thinking a lot about the affect that recoil will have on my chest. Since I have been out of the hospital the only rifles I have shot are my 257 Roberts and the 17 mach 2. Both light in the recoil department. My 280 Remington and my 12 & 16 gauge shotguns should be OK also. I will find out soon how they feel, with a couple trips to the trap range and rifle range.

I'm thinking of of a 375 cal in a #1. Is anyone able to tell me how your chest feels when you shoot your 375. Do you feel a heavy pull/stretching in the chest.

Maybe I should give a little more insight as to the surgery. The surgery required my sternum to be cut open and wired back up. Unfortunately I have been informed that I will never 100% heal from this and have to be careful not to split it open and face anther surgery.

FWIW-
If you're set on a .375, you might want to consider a Ruger Hawkeye .375 Ruger, in a Hogue stock. It comes standard with the Alaskan model, and can be bought for the African version.

I took my African, with its Hogue replacement stock, and a .300 Wby. Mk. V. to the range today, and shot them alternately. I will say that the recoil of the 375 is certainly no worse than that of the Wby., probably due to the Hogue stock and its great recoil pad.

I shoot mine off of sandbag rests, and I use a PAST magnum recoil pad when shooting off the bench. Recoil is certainly above the level, of, say, a .270, but I am able to shoot it for a number of rounds quite comfortably.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.