J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Makes me chuckle, thinking of the possibilities. I have shot "zero" with a 6.5

Then you can say: "All of the deer I've shot with a 6.5 were DRT."

OR

NONE of the deer I've shot with a 6.5 DRT.

This attitude of 'supposed superiority' of the 6.5s is a joke. They shoot bullets like all other calibers and they burn the same powders like all other calibers, and EXCEPT for two (6.5-06 & 264 WM), they are SLOWER than several caliber/cartridges.

Last edited by jwall; 03/25/12.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jwall obviously you haven't had a chance to get that model 70 in action yet. :^)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwall

This attitude of 'supposed superiority' of the 6.5s is a joke. They shoot bullets like all other calibers and they burn the same powders like all other calibers, and EXCEPT for two (6.5-06 & 264 WM), they are SLOWER than several caliber/cartridges.

3000+ fps isn't slow...

I'd take accuracy over velocity easily...

jus sayin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm just sayin -

I don't keep any rifle that's not accurate.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bangeye
Jwall obviously you haven't had a chance to get that model 70 in action yet. :^)

You are right. I have too many things going on right now to do the loading and shooting for the Swede YET.

I know a fellow who HAD a 6.5 Swede that told me......

"I am under impressed with it." I bought it anyway. smile smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Originally Posted by jwall

3000+ fps isn't slow...

I'd take accuracy over velocity easily...

jus sayin

Just for comparison.....

I have & have had .277 caliber Wins that shoot 140 BTSP at 3000 fps and group from 1/2-1" reliably.

I have & have had 7mm RMs that shoot 139 BTSPs at 3300 fps and group 1/2-3/4" dependably.

I have & have had 300 WMs that shoot 180 BTSPs at 3100 fps and group 3/4" and SUB 1".

These are NOT slower and accuracy is MORE THAN ENOUGH for big game hunting and a fair amount of varmint shooting.

The 6.5s do not have a monopoly on accuracy or velocity.

I am not trying nor going to further hijack this thread.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerry,

You should just sell the 6.5x55 and not mess with it - seriously. You don't understand (or don't care) what the advantages of the 6.5mm bullets are, so you'e just going to be wasting your time to reach your prior conclusion that the 6.5x55 doesn't do anything more than any number of other cartridges do. Based on what you've written, you're not going to see the advantages. Efficiency (e.g., performance per powder burned and recoil) doesn't matter to you. Good aerodynamics (ballistic coefficients) don't matter to you (you think velocity trumps all). You're just going to be wasting components and time to reach the conclusion that your .270 Win works fine, and it does - it just isn't optimized, but for 99.9+% of hunting, an optimized solution isn't required.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Ya know I used to be one that looked at the "energy" "ft lbs" thing.
I've now (past 7 or 8 yrs) really began looking at the impact velocity side of things. Then you have situations where you have a so called good bullets that impacted with grand velocity and then the animal shrugs it off. Then runs off.

I've really studied over the past 5-6 yrs the perfect shot placement to anchor something. Top of the shoulder/base of the neck is where it's at.. with just about any cartridge. At the least high shoulder to take out the front wheel house.

I've surpassed the whole boiler room thing.

Impact velocity is important and I think more so when we get into tougher hunting bullets,because some of them do their best "work" at higher velocty,ie expand more fully at distance.

Animals chest hit (ribs, lungs, etc.) can sometimes take a lot of punishment with these hits,and appear to not have been hit at all....they are of course dead on their feet but it may take a bit of time and some distance traveled before they realize it.A frightened deer or elk can cover a lot of ground in 5-10 seconds.Yet other times they stagger a few steps and collapse.I think it relates to the severity of the wound(how much tissue is destroyed).

Things change a bit IME, when you aim to take bone,either on entrance,or exit (quartering on or away),while also traversing the chest cavity.At least I see more dramatic results from such hits,and distances traveled, if at all,are sometimes much less.IME it can take a pretty tough bullet to pull these hits off consistently.

A shot where Cocadori suggests I think also catches some of the spine between the shoulders,sort of a double whammy and this will drop animals fast.Some folks avoid these hits out of concern for meat loss,but this is minimalized with tougher bullets.My last mule deer was killed with such a hit as he ran past at about 80 yards,and I can still see his head snapping down between his front legs as the rifle recoiled.He disappeared like he fell in a hole.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does that shot provide the same margin of error as the standard boiler room shot?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dan it being a smaller area, likely not....if trying to catch upper shoulder and spine,no....but I am talking any upper leg/shoulder bones in line with the vitals.

I hit a buck about where the upper legs join the shoulder bones,perfectly broadside,at 300 yards.I heard a loud "whack",and he leaped convulsively off his back legs,tumbled downhill.Dead when I got there.

In dressing him and skinning later, I noticed the vitals were untouched,clean as a whistle and no trauma I could see....had me scratching my head what killed him.

Quartering on, or away,I'd have caught vitals with the same shot.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
jwall,

it's easy to run velocity with overbore cartridges and light bullets.

3/4"-1" isn't my kind of accuracy. Although, I know it is acceptable for "hunting".

Jus sayin'

Bob,

I'll often wait for "that shot". One of our hired hands ( who's an avid hunter ) used to use the "boiler room" approach. He was hunting one part of our ranch that had a stretch of property the was surrounded by a cattle company who isn't real receptive to anyone stepping foot on their property (even though we are neighbors) We had been seeing a nice buck crossing through our piece before making his way to the river. Traveling 50 yards would have me asking permission to retrieve the deer from "the neighbors" not a phone call neither he nor I wanted to make.

We talked and discussed "the shot" it worked and does work like magic!

look close at the hair. You can see the bullet hole area.

This is post gutting so that's why there's blood on the chest area.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dan,

The margin of area is smaller. However, I've never been a spray and pray type of guy.

When the opportunity to take "that shot" is available it is top of the priority list pre-trigger yankin'.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
cocadori: 6.5/06? grin Nice buck!

I hit my last bull elk about the same place,but more back a bit...Down and out.

It does work well when you hit that button.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's my top hand with "the buck" He took it with...

the ole '06 don't cha know...

However, he's contemplating the 6.5-06 retro laugh

That deer was so old it only had two top cutters and 3 bottom cutters for teeth...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice one's to find and shoot... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dan360
Does that shot provide the same margin of error as the standard boiler room shot?

Absolutely not. And on elk, THRICE I've seen that shot land just a bit high, in a nether region. Close enough to shock the spine and drop the animal, as if dead in it's tracks... low enough to miss the actual spine, and just high enough to not really do enough damage to anything immediately fatal.

In each case, as the proud and happy hunter, against all advice and coaching, was standing there admiring his shot, all three elk jumped up and hauled AZZZZ... in each of the three cases, a monometal bullet was being flung.

grin

Last edited by MattMan; 03/26/12.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MattMan: Yes, there is a lot of area above the vitals on an elk.....I think what you described cost my pal a bull in BC two years ago.It can happen... frown

7mm08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
12 gauge - 26 kills
.223 - 18 kills
7mm-08 - 33 kills
7mm Rem mag. - 19 kills
.30-06 - 28 kills
.270 - 23 kills

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 7mm08
After reading about the study in South Carolina of deer kills using different calibers and average distance deer covered etc. I decided I'd look in my deer kill log to see what I came up with. Here are my results.

Average Distance of All kills - 85 yards
Weight Range of all Deer - 88 lbs to 200 lbs.
All shots were placed either in the shoulder area or the rib cage

12 gauge - 77% of all deer were dead on the spot
average distance traveled after shot - 25 yards
(only those that ran)
bullets - #1 Buckshot

.223 - 86% were dead on the spot
- average distance of those that ran - 40 yards
-bullets - 55 grain TSX
.270 Winchester - 0% dropped on the spot
-average distance traveled after shot-40 yards
- bullets - 130 grain Interlokts & Power Points

7mm-08 - 33% dropped at the shot
-average distance traveled after shot - 40 yards
-bullets - SST, Corelokt, Interlokt, Nosler Partition, Ballistic SilverTip all in 140 grain

7mm Rem. Mag - 43% dropped at the shot
-average distance traveled after the shot 25 yards
- bullets were all 150 grain, Corelokts, Power Points, Nosler Ballistic Tips

.30-06 - 60% dropped at the shot
- average distance traveled after the shot 25 yard
- bullets- a few with 165 grain Corelokts, rest were killed with 150 grain Sierra Gamekings, Speer HotCore, Federal Powershoks, Power Points, Corelokts, Ballistic Silvertips
..................Interesting study. Based on your #s, looks like the `ol 270 could use some help?? laugh

Although I do not own a 270 and given the same 85 yard average shooting distances and the same shot placements you describe, I would be willing to wager on the cuff, that if your 270 were loaded up with some Berger "hunting" VLDs, that not only would the amount of your (at the shot) DRTs increase, but the average distances ran after the shot would decrease.

Setting any issues of additional meat damage aside, the VLDs imo, provide more terminal shock and greater internals damage than the other two bullet examples you used from your 270.

And I`ll go even a step further and suggest, that if your 270 were loaded with VLDs, the DRT #s as well as the distances ran after the shots, "just might" equal or may exceed the #s from your 223?

I`d be willing to take that wager. And even if the VLDs didn`t surpass your 223`s #s, I would have no doubt, that certainly the DRTs and the distances ran after the shots would be much better if using the VLDs.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

7mm08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I rather have a DRT but actually I'm quite satisfied with walking the 25 to 40 yards to get my deer. If I were limited to a .270 for deer hunting the rest of my life, I don't think I'd have a problem keeping a freezer full of critters. It seems to me that unless you hit close to the spine, a deer is pretty much going to cover a short distance no matter what bullet or what caliber rifle you are shooting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.