Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great to hear BB and good on you Jimmy!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks nsaqam and toad. And bulletbutt, that's great of Jimmy, (since he's not on the fire much) please tell him thanks from this end the next time you see him!

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Cool stuff guys!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Actually, I was referring to my own past mistakes. wink I shot a black bear last year and had to hike back to my fourwheeler to retreive my knives and game bags. crazy

D'oh! AlaskanMatt, I hope the 4x4 wasn't too far at least--slap forehead! I might wish I wasn't capable of it, but I totally could have done that too. I guess it was out of one of those types of moments that the checklist was born... grin

Last edited by dclayton; 03/27/12.

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It was only about 1/4 mile away, but the lesson was learned. It was a tasty bear too!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been away for a few days from the thread. Mallardaddict reloading manuals are in the mail. Have a couple of things if they are needed. Burris Landmark spotter 10-24, and a Sightron 3.5X10. If we have others in need of these let me know.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dclayton
Thanks nsaqam and toad. And bulletbutt, that's great of Jimmy, (since he's not on the fire much) please tell him thanks from this end the next time you see him!

I just talked to Jimmyd223 and read the thank you's to him and he said that was great. He misses this place and 99.% of the people.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good guys I will watch the mail. Spent some time today setting up backpacks for all 3 boys with the funds a few guys sent me.

All 3 kids should get a reasonably set up hunting pack and new binos each courtesy of the Fires generosity.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Sounds good guys I will watch the mail. Spent some time today setting up backpacks for all 3 boys with the funds a few guys sent me.

All 3 kids should get a reasonably set up hunting pack and new binos each courtesy of the Fires generosity.

Awesome! I'm glad the other boys are being included too, so thy won't feel left out!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

That's awesome, MallardAddict!

Here's an update re James' first deer hunting trip equipment list. As of now I believe that rifle (type TBD), scope (2.5-6x36 Simmons), hard case, knife (Ingram), gloves & shirt, spotting scope, day pack & binos are all accounted for (!!!). The bases/rings & ammo have to wait until the rifle is determined. That means that the only things from the original list left are:

-Scope lens caps/scope cover? (for a (2.5-6x36 Simmons)
-Sling
-Blaze orange hunting hat and/or vest- (the orange is req'd here)

Again, anything else I�m forgetting? Odds and/or ends that you have that you think might help? This is an awesome project!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just started reading this thread, the campfire is truly an amazing place!

If you guys happen to decide on a 280 rem I'll throw in RCBS dies, a box of new rem brass(I'll have to decap them to ship them) and a box of 120 gr v-max.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately 458, the intended recipient, James, does not reload.

This severely limited my potential offerings as well.

Great offer for sure though!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Unfortunately 458, the intended recipient, James, does not reload.

This severely limited my potential offerings as well.

Great offer for sure though!

As I mentioned before, nsaqam & 458, James doesn't reload. This is not a principled refusal (clearly!), but simply a lack of equipment. Reloading equipment can be expensive, and so I thought it was probably better to stick with basics and not to go there, but in theory if someone had spare/old things to get him started from scratch, I could certainly teach him and supervise him when I'm around, so could his dad (and at least one of his other uncles def. could as well). Knowing the generosity of the members of the 'fire I'm hesitant to even go here, but since it's now come up a couple of times I just mention it. If you have questions, feel free to PM me as well...

Last edited by dclayton; 03/28/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My guess is, like the recipient of Paul's rifle did, we could gather up enough stuff for reloading here that James could easily get started with this rewarding hobby.
You have my powder measure and 458's dies and brass offered up already. I also have a Lee press which needs a new part which I'd offer up. I'd even fix it prior to sending it.
He'd need a scale, some case prep tools, a funnel, a hand primer and a few other things but they're cheap and will probably get donated by the kind members here.
If he decides on the .280 Rem, which would be an excellent choice, I also have some 7mm bullets to donate.
Although I appreciate your reluctance to even hint at requesting further generosity at least think about it. It makes people happy to give like this. It's rewarding to us as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will say that it's likely no money will be saved by reloading over shooting factory ammo but the reloader shoots a lot more for the same price which is always a good thing.
It's also a lot of fun.

Except for trimming brass, that sucks! grin

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/28/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got off the phone with Lee and they're sending me the parts I need to fix the press I offered.
Half price too! Under $13 shipped.

If James does want to get into reloading he'll have a serviceable press. If not I'll have a back up.

Let us know dclayton.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll throw in a 6" dial caliper to help get him started, it's a cheapy chinese one but is just accurate as my mitutoyo's. I just need to remember where I put it. I think I've got a spare lee case trimmer head, and would pick a lee 280 rem mandrel to complete the setup. I probably have a few other things lying around I could include.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This keeps getting better and better!

It's a lot of fun too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, that's fantastic! Super generous of you, and as you say (nsaqam), he'll definitely have fun with the reloading. So James now has a press, caliper, powder measure, and case trimmer head.

And if he goes with a 280 rem he also has dies, mandrel and some brass, right? Good on you, nsaqam & 458 Lott!

It will probably be a while before any of the cartridge specific things can be settled (end of summer or September), but the rest of the stuff can be packed up together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dclayton has empowered me to coordinate the shipping of any donated reloading supplies for young James.
If you have something you might like to donate to help this young man on his entrance to the fun of reloading post them up here and then PM me for the young man's shipping address.

Already donated are a Lee Challenger press (the one I started reloading on), an RCBS Uniflow powder measure, a 6" caliper and a Lee case trimming cutter.
As was said by dclayton the cartridge/caliber specific items will have to wait until James decides on chambering and rifle.
I see a need for a scale, funnel, case mouth deburring tool,primer pocket cleaner, case lube, and whatever else you think he needs.

Thanks to all who've already donated and TIA to those who will.

Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.