Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe the key words here are "disappears at the muzzle". I bet there's a lot of cleaning rod wear, and that'll play billy hell with accuracy. While the bore is pretty bad, I would at least cut it back to where the rifling is strong and try out some more jacketed loads.

I have mucked with enough barrels that look like that to hold out hope for at least 'minute of deer' accuracy with jacketed. Cast bullets are always a royal crap-shoot in a bore like that. One might get decent accuracy initially, but I'll guarantee it'll lead up a lot quicker than a smooth barrel and said accuracy will soon go out the window. Cleaning a heavily leaded bore is just as tiresome as cleaning a heavily copper fouled bore. Super hard cast bullets (say bhn20 hardness or better, cast of linotype or monotype) could well work pretty good, but are worthless for hunting purposes. They won't expand, behaving much like a full metal jacket. The best one can hope for is for it to shatter on heavy bone, but I digress.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone tried using an oversized jacketed bullet in a shot out bore? Hornady makes a .310, 123gr bullet.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call me conservative, yeah, I can live with that, but I wouldn't cut anything else until I had the crown recut. Redoing the crown cures a lot of ills and heals many faults caused by neglect or too much cleaning from the muzzle end. The last 1/16 of an inch or so of barrel affects the flight of the bullet as much or more than the previous 23 and 15/16ths.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I always thought that a 99H or 99T in 35 Rem would be cool to
have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on what Skidrow said.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ive seen George call a lot worse than conservative but I like the idea. I came home today and melted some soft lead, plugged the bore 1.5" in and poured a slug. The slug shows no rifling for 1/2".

Sure cant hurt to to try touching up the existing end of the barrel and shooting it.

Is there anything to the brass screw/lapping compound method? Any more bubbaish ideas? Ive got a number of pipe wrenches to work with.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can see where cutting about an inch off and recrowning it would be a reasonable way to proceed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Ive seen George call a lot worse than conservative but I like the idea. I came home today and melted some soft lead, plugged the bore 1.5" in and poured a slug. The slug shows no rifling for 1/2".

Sure cant hurt to to try touching up the existing end of the barrel and shooting it.

Is there anything to the brass screw/lapping compound method? Any more bubbaish ideas? Ive got a number of pipe wrenches to work with.

No rifling at the muzzle end for 1/2" is not good news. Cut and crown would be on my list of things to try. Also on the list is to try a paper patch bullet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hard cast bullets may work in that barrel. My 96 Krag sporter shoots linotype bullets thru its pitted bore very nicely. I don't shoot it a whole lot,however.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You can back bore to where the rifling is ok. I have seen russian bolt action rifles back bore for 3 inches and they shot fine. it won't work on an m1 as it needs pressure to the end of the barrel to unlock the action. grin

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Call me conservative, yeah, I can live with that, but I wouldn't cut anything else until I had the crown recut. Redoing the crown cures a lot of ills and heals many faults caused by neglect or too much cleaning from the muzzle end. The last 1/16 of an inch or so of barrel affects the flight of the bullet as much or more than the previous 23 and 15/16ths.

Many years ago a gun writer did an expirement with a rifle with a good barrel. he cut the barrel with a hack saw at differant angles and never crowned the barrel at all, the only thing changed was the point of impact of the bullet. it did not shoot one hole groups but was good enough for hunting big game at the ranges that people hunted them at that time. A good crown will tighten up groups some but will not make a bad rifled barrel shoot good. to shoot lead bullets the bore has to be glass smooth. you may get a couple shots from a rough bore but it will lead up in no time at all.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Maybe the key words here are "disappears at the muzzle". I bet there's a lot of cleaning rod wear, and that'll play billy hell with accuracy. While the bore is pretty bad, I would at least cut it back to where the rifling is strong and try out some more jacketed loads.

. . . Cleaning a heavily leaded bore is just as tiresome as cleaning a heavily copper fouled bore. Super hard cast bullets (say bhn20 hardness or better, cast of linotype or monotype) could well work pretty good, but are worthless for hunting purposes. They won't expand, behaving much like a full metal jacket . . .

I agree with Gnoahhh w.r.t. the rifling at the muzzle. If you don't want to cut the bore, just counterbore it about 1.0" to 1.5". The length will be "factory", you won't have to re-sight it, and it should shoot "minute of deer" or "minute of bad guy" all day for the rest of your life.

Or chop it to 16.5" - trapper, baby! How cool would that be?

For cleaning, I've used a home-made electrolytic bore cleaner with outstanding results:

http://thedolk.com/borecleaner/index.html

A helpful hint -- run a patch wetted with acetone down the bore to degrease it. The electrocleaning process will go much faster.

Other hints: I use a Swede 96 Mauser cleaning rod as the cathode (the rod in the bore that collects the fouling) and a 6V lantern battery. The electrolyte I use is 50:50 water:ammonia. Ammonia has a high pH and contrary to a lot of interwebz legends, high pH liquids will not corrode steel. I've even used full-strength household ammonia (which is only about 3%) on really fouled Mosin-Nagant and Kar 98k bores and had them come out shining. I duct tape the funnel to the muzzle, and use a rubber stopper that will plug the chamber with the bolt closed snugly. I wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the Swede cleaning rod every 8" to 12", and especially make sure the tip of the rod contacting the rubber stopper is wrapped, as well as the rod in the area of the muzzle. You do NOT want the rod to touch the bore because it will short out, spark, and drain the battery.

This process is nothing more than "reverse plating," or "electrocleaning." The fouling will be dissolved from the lands and grooves and "plated" onto the steel rod. For this to work, the steel rod MUST be connected to the negative terminal of the battery, and the battery positive is clipped to the rear sight, preferably.

Hydrogen gas will be evolved from the water, so don't smoke and try not to spark the connections.

Every 10-15 mins, disconnect the wiring and remove the cleaning rod and wipe it down. It will be COVERED with a dark sludgy paste. After 1 hr, break the whole thing down, drain the bore, unplug the breech by tapping the stopper with the cleaning rod, run some dry patches and check the progress. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

This won't take a bore back to factory new, baby-butt-smooth, but it will pull out any fouling and give you a clean surface with which to start your own fouling process. wink grin

Noah

Last edited by Noah_Zark; 03/29/12.

Resistance is NOT futile. Resistance is Voltage divided by Current.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Noah_Zark
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

. . . Cleaning a heavily leaded bore is just as tiresome as cleaning a heavily copper fouled bore. Super hard cast bullets (say bhn20 hardness or better, cast of linotype or monotype) could well work pretty good, but are worthless for hunting purposes. They won't expand, behaving much like a full metal jacket . . .

I agree with Gnoahhh w.r.t. the rifling at the muzzle. If you don't want to cut the bore, just counterbore it about 1.0" to 1.5". The length will be "factory", you won't have to re-sight it, and it should shoot "minute of deer" or "minute of bad guy" all day for the rest of your life.

Or chop it to 16.5" - trapper, baby! How cool would that be?

For cleaning, I've used a home-made electrolytic bore cleaner with outstanding results:

http://thedolk.com/borecleaner/index.html

A helpful hint -- run a patch wetted with acetone down the bore to degrease it. The electrocleaning process will go much faster.

Other hints: I use a Swede 96 Mauser cleaning rod as the cathode (the rod in the bore that collects the fouling) and a 6V lantern battery. The electrolyte I use is 50:50 water:ammonia. Ammonia has a high pH and contrary to a lot of interwebz legends, high pH liquids will not corrode steel. I've even used full-strength household ammonia (which is only about 3%) on really fouled Mosin-Nagant and Kar 98k bores and had them come out shining. I duct tape the funnel to the muzzle, and use a rubber stopper that will plug the chamber with the bolt closed snugly. I wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the Swede cleaning rod every 8" to 12", and especially make sure the tip of the rod contacting the rubber stopper is wrapped, as well as the rod in the area of the muzzle. You do NOT want the rod to touch the bore because it will short out, spark, and drain the battery.

This process is nothing more than "reverse plating," or "electrocleaning." The fouling will be dissolved from the lands and grooves and "plated" onto the steel rod. For this to work, the steel rod MUST be connected to the negative terminal of the battery, and the battery positive is clipped to the rear sight, preferably.

Hydrogen gas will be evolved from the water, so don't smoke and try not to spark the connections.

Every 10-15 mins, disconnect the wiring and remove the cleaning rod and wipe it down. It will be COVERED with a dark sludgy paste. After 1 hr, break the whole thing down, drain the bore, unplug the breech by tapping the stopper with the cleaning rod, run some dry patches and check the progress. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

This won't take a bore back to factory new, baby-butt-smooth, but it will pull out any fouling and give you a clean surface with which to start your own fouling process. wink grin

Noah

Very Interesting Machine, and Neat information that you have Shared. Thank-you.

How-ever i really would hate to be using this out-side especially when a thunderstorm may be near. Could act as a lighting rod. grin

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 1899sav

Very Interesting Machine, and Neat information that you have Shared. Thank-you.

How-ever i really would hate to be using this out-side especially when a thunderstorm may be near. Could act as a lighting rod. grin

Just don't set up under a tree. wink

Noah

Resistance is NOT futile. Resistance is Voltage divided by Current.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Another possibility would be to "fresh it out" to .321 and rechamber to .32 Win Spcl. Downside--that's a lotta lapping! And you have to find somebody with a .32 Spcl. reamer. Upside--it'll be the ONLY one on your block!

Assuming you don't have the time, lead and elbow grease for a "freshing out" as above, a .35-30 is an excellent expedient. Make sure the rebore guy gets the right twist so you can use 148 gr. .38 Special wadcutters in her; great pest control/bunny bashers!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.