Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just asking because a new Leupold catalog came today and they now sell CDS scopes for some of their rimfire scopes.
Except from the Custom Shop CDS isn't offered on the VX-2 3-9x33 EFR Ultralight/Rimfire in gloss, only matte.

Seems with the substantial drop of .22LR projectiles a turret might be fun and useful at the range and in select hunting situations.

Can any turret, M1, M2, etc. be fitted to any Custom Shop Serviceable scope?

Interested to hear thoughts on this.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Stoney Point elevation turret on my 6X M8 AO on my TC 22 semi auto. No clicks of course but clearly marked and repeats just fine. Bought the last 2 Amazon had as when Hornady bought out Stoney Point these went away.

looks like Midway has 1 left,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/899510/stoney-point-target-knob-leupold-scopes-one-only

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, but not with a Leupold.
I use a Clearidge RM. It's basically a Weaver RV9, with the zero re-settable turrets of a Weaver V16 or V24.

The concept works well. I sight in at 25 or 50yds, then use the turret out to 100yds.

The custom turrets with marked range might be nice if you used one load. The problem with .22lr is that you may use several loads with different ballistics (subsonic,HV, hyper velocity,etc). IMHO, it's easier to just dope your loads with a generic 1/4 MOA/IPHY marked turret, and dial to the correct number as needed depending on the load.
IIRC,with a 50yd zero using CCI standard, I can generally stay on target with about 4 MOA of "up" adjustment at 75yds, and about 7.5-9 MOA at 100yds. If I shoot HV, its around 6 MOA up at 100yds. So I just have to remember my setting in MOA for a given range and load.

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd definitely go with a MOA turret which I believe comes standard with the CDS along with a certificate to get a custom turret made per your intended load.
That said, mine would have to be a Custom Shop upgrade as the CDS isn't offered with that scope in gloss. Nor am I certain I wouldn't prefer one of the other custom turrets offered through the Custom Shop.
Thanks for the info so far.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm sending my 6.5-20X out for one when gopher season ends. I meant to do it earlier but I ran out of time.

I think a turret on a rimfire will be the shizz.

Travis

IC B2

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm sending my 6.5-20X out for one when gopher season ends. I meant to do it earlier but I ran out of time.

I think a turret on a rimfire will be the shizz.

Travis

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that Leupold offered them for their Rimfire line.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a clearidge 3-9 rimfire scope on my 10/22. Worked fine with the turrets. Decided to change it over to my 22 hornet and it is just perfect for shooting out a little past 200 yards. Just a barrel of fun. And if any get away at that distance, it is certainly not the fault of the hornet or scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought about it but went with the B&C instead. In the gopher patch, with shots constantly varying between powder burns on their forehead to 200 yards, I didn't want to spend more time twisting turrets than shooting. Who knows.

For something like a scope on a silhouette rifle it of course makes sense.

It always comes down to the intended use of the particualr rifle and shooter.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run a FX-3 6x42AO Competition scope on my 22LR. It has the tall capped turrets. Ballistic, the app on my iPhone, has the profiles for various 22LR ammo, so you just dial and plink. We were shooting silhouette targets with it last time I had it out at 250 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

an old 1st generation vari x on an old 1st gen Clark Custom. loads of fun whether I'm shooting pop cans or vermin

[Linked Image]

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nsaqam

That said, mine would have to be a Custom Shop upgrade as the CDS isn't offered with that scope in gloss.

FWIW, the Clearidge RM 3-9x 32mm is available in gloss, if the finish is important to you:
http://clearidgeoptics.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=834

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys.

Poodle, the scope does need to be gloss for the rifle it's intended for and it also has to be a Leupold because the scope is going on a high quality LH Kimber of Oregon rimfire and an Oregon made scope for an Oregon made rifle appeals to me for this project. I'll keep those Clearidge scopes in mind for my other rimfires though.

Clark and 222, I like those scopes a lot and that 1st gen Clark Custom looks sweet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Indeed I do on my Cooper LVT.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was doing a money pit fancy Kimber for keeps I would order through the Custom Shop. The "new" VX-2 series is available in a 4-12x40 non-AO as one model to consider. For sure I would order the scope in the gloss finish with an elevation target turret.

My to pick models for rimfires would be:
VX-2 2-7x33
VX-2 4-12x40
VX-3 2.5-8x36

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think I've found the scope I'm going with, the new for 2012 VX-2 3-9x33 EFR out of the Leupold Ultralight line, part number 110822.
I get gloss finish and Diamond Coat lens coatings and the scope is fully Custom Shop serviceable for turrets if I decide to go that route and it's looking like I will.

Money pit is right but it'll be a sweet rifle which I'll be proud to own, hunt, and pass down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would look through the EFR Ultralight first before ordering. Please accept the warning. Other choices are friendlier to look through..

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

This one came with both the BDC and MOA turrents. The BDC was pretty dam close. Yesterday was the first day I tried it, so more shooting will have to be done, Darn it! smile

Simmons pro target

Last edited by chucknbach; 03/30/12.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've heard that before but the reports I've seen are based on the old Ultralight and not the new, 2012 Ultralight.
Have you looked through the new one yet?

Leupold Technical told me these just came out in February and that they're completely different than the previous model.

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/30/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This may be good news for the Ultralight line.
I will look through the new models as soon as I get a chance.

The 2-7x33 of past has always trumped the Ultralight. A half ounce lighter, a half inch more eye relief, and 15moa more elevation available for turrets. I have a couple 2-7 and like them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.