-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've fought with how to carry a firearm in the back country for years and years and I haven't found I way that really works for me. I've got a backpack on and binos on my chest most of the time. Many of my packs don't have an easy way to connect a holster.

I've thought about thigh rigs in the past but I've never tried one or heard much good. Do any of you have anything good to say about them? Anything worth my money out there?

GB1

T
T
I know what your talking about. I've often wondered how others carried a handgun in the field while wearing a pack and binos. I carry a SW 329 PD, and just purchased a Bianchi UM84R and the M1425 which makes the holster a drop leg/thigh rig. So far, in light use, I like what I see. It rides well, is out of the way of my hip belt, and the butt of the gun is right where my hand is when I drop my hand to the side. Plus, pack on or off, the gun is always with me. The real test will be in the coming weeks, as our bear season opens in a few days and I'll get a chance to really test the rig out and see if it's a keeper. I'll update this in a few weeks and keep you posted.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been thinking about this method of carrying also. I'm interested in some more opinions/experiences with this. Any suggestions for a thigh holster for a subcompact glock? I've carried it in a pouch on the side of my pack in the past which works just ok, but it takes some fiddling to get at it quickly, which I don't like.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I look at it like this:

My pistol is a higher priority than my binoculars. I won't get chewed up if I can't glass something fast enough but I might get chewed if I can't get to my pistol.

So, first question is always how to carry my pistol. With a pack, I like the El Paso Saddlery tankerman's holsters. I have one for a 4-5/8" single action Ruger and one for a 4" S&W N frame.

After that's handled, then I'll worry about how to carry my 'nocs. I carry them inside my pack.

I truly dislike thigh carry, especially in the woods. The drop holster attached to my leg binds up and interferes with hopping over logs, off bluffs, climbing anything steep ... all the things that I do out in the woods.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thigh holster is a great idea to get the pistol below the waist belt of any pack, but I find that I simply don't like it hanging that low whether it is tethered tight or hanging loose at the bottom. I think it has more to do with where and how you might hunt. Like TOM, if you weren't busting through a lot of wet brush or hopping over logs and things it sure could work better.
I'm carrying mine on my pack belt which is a good compromise for me. The "sling" type shoulder holster has worked for years for a lot of people and I've used a more conventional shoulder holster before too.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tried two thigh rigs and I can not stand them. Just feels unnatural when your hiking and its in the way trying to get over logs. Its also not the best place to have your handgun when you are crossing rivers all the time. All I use is a HPG Kit bag, can't even think of using anything else now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I remember Steve McQueen packing his sawed off rifle in a hip holster. He had a pretty good fast draw with it, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_W
I have tried two thigh rigs and I can not stand them. Just feels unnatural when your hiking and its in the way trying to get over logs. Its also not the best place to have your handgun when you are crossing rivers all the time. All I use is a HPG Kit bag, can't even think of using anything else now.

People really seem to like those HPG bags. I may just go that route.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For guys that hunt like I do, you've got to have your binos handy, all the time. Having them on your chest is about the only option. To further complicate matters, much of the time I've got a bow in my left hand, and you've always got your pack on. That makes things tricky.

Last edited by dryflyelk; 03/30/12.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I echo most of the sentiments of other posters. It�s unnatural feeling, awkward, and gets in the way more than it doesn�t. It puts the firearm in the way in a number of situations you encounter when breaking trail, climbing, etc. I don�t have a good answer for what works best, but I know a thigh rig doesn�t work well for me. I still own one, but never use it.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If nust carrying a baby glock i would thick a cheap paddle holster on the pack hip belt would be the best. Sorry never tried the thigh rig though i suspect it would work well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you're curious what a drop holster/thigh holster is like, just punch yourself in the balls and save the money. They both have the same affect: unpleasant.

I use a chest rig. But I do prefer a paddle holster tucked over the hip belt at times.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was reasonably happy with a thigh rig set up so that it hung just below the pack belt line. It only worked with my uber light taurus titanium revolver. Anything heavier, not so much.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anybody have a pic of an hpg kit bag with their pack on? It looks like it would get in the way. It looks like the pack straps would ride on the hpg strap buckles. Most guys say it works pretty slick, but I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Kit Bag was made to be used with a backpack. Nothing gets in the way or bunches up. You wont even know your wearing it after awhile. I am wearing mine right now as I type this. Plenty of pics on HPG's website and FB page. Check it out

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have used various Safariland model 6004 drop leg holsters while hiking, rappelling, tracking, etc. on duty and on SAR call-outs. I'll admit that the drop leg is not the most comfortable holster out there, but they don't have to be as bad as everyone makes them sound. The Safariland provides incredible protection for your firearm, and is fast to draw from. I have removed the upper of the two leg straps from all my drop legs, as well as cutting off a bit of the paddle where the upper strap would attach. This allows the holster to ride higher, without digging into your inner thigh, while still preventing swaying back and forth.

I've gone through a lot of very tight brush, up and down very steep slopes, across logs, etc. With this set-up. My dog typically finds the tightest, most difficult terrain to track people through. smile I find that for SAR and K9 tracking I prefer a drop leg to my belt holster. There are some cases where a belt holster, or even a chest holster, does not work, ie: in a full body rappel harness.

For a smaller handgun, such as a small Glock, you might even consider a shoulder holster for use with a backpack.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 04/02/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.