Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 30 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 29 30
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
never know what you might hook in the surf.

has anyone hooked a great white there in PINS? I notice they are "catch and release" only. I wonder if the sharks know about the rule.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/fish/saltwater_limits.phtml

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 03/30/12.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
no but there has been a few makos caught

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Do you tag & release or keep them?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
we tag and release most of them. do keep the smaller blacktips to eat, their real good.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a million questions about fishing the Gulf. Better save some of them for the trip. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roger, don't the new guys have to swim the baits out at night?

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Roger, don't the new guys have to swim the baits out at night?

Alan

HAHAHA...very funny! There ain't enough tequila in Texas to get me to do that! eek

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we tag and release most of them. do keep the smaller blacktips to eat, their real good.

OH yes black tips are gooood eating IF wink

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.saltyangler.com/tyler.htm

Tyler Thorsen

Surf Report

Updated 4-13-2012

The Padre Island National Seashore (P.I.N.S) sent out a press release recently regarding the 15 mph speed limit they pushed for last summer when they did their Beach Vehicle Driving Environmental Assessment. The new speed limit rules would lower the speed limits from the 2.5 mile mark to the Mansfield Jetty from 25 mph to 15 mph and take effect March 1st each year and last through the Labor Day weekend. In the press release was a document called a �F.O.N.S.I� which means there was a �Finding of No Significant Impact� The National Park Service (NPS) determined no significant impacts would occur if the proposal is implemented, and it explains the rationale used in selecting the alternative for implementation.

You can read the document here http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?documentID=46093 In it you will find the same �mumbo jumbo� they used to explain why the lower speed limit was necessary in the Environmental Assessment. �That there are more 4x4 vehicles on the beach and it would be �safer� for the nesting turtles�. This is in spite of the fact that there has never been a Kemp�s Ridley turtle run over on P.I.N.S., and that there has been an average of only 3 vehicle accidents each year over the past ten years on the 62 mile long beach. When pressed on this NPS� excuse they state �we get two to three calls on holiday weekends of speeders and near misses with accidents�. What makes them think lowering the speed limit will reduce speeders? We don�t need new restrictive laws just enforcement. Regarding the 4x4 numbers, the original EA stated that there were few vehicles down island so there would not be a significant impact of lowering speeds while at the same time the rationale for lower the speed limit was due to the increase in 4x4 vehicles on the beach. Huh????

Nowhere does the F.O.N.S.I. mention that the Kemp�s Ridley turtle nests represent only 6/10 of 1% of the worldwide number of Kemp�s Ridley nests. Nor does it make reference to the likelihood of the Kemp�s turtles status being upgraded to threatened in two to three years or the statements made by the Fish and Wildlife Department that even if every nesting Kemp�s Ridley turtle on P.I.N.S. was destroyed it would make no difference to the survival of the species. The F.O.N.S.I. does back off the turtles as being the main issue in regards to the lower speed limit citing concerns for visitor safety and �possible� accidents.

The issue is not turtles or visitor safety as the numbers don�t justify that there is a problem. The issue is that we are slowly getting our access to this national treasure reduced. If we don�t fight them more and more restrictions will be put in place. Eventually the Padre Island National Seashore will only see visitors who use Malaquite and the first five miles of South Beach as they will run off those visitors and tourists who love traveling down island in 4x4 only territory and I think that�s what the goal is. In their view it would be much easier to police and �safer� if you and I aren�t there.

Sargassum is impacting lots of areas of the beach. The higher tides this month will make driving treacherous at times. Rotting sargassum can cause quick sand type areas to form so be extremely careful when running the low road near the water. The speed limit is now 15 mph. Follow established tracks when you can and watch out for nesting turtles as they should start coming in any day now.

April tends to be windy and weedy but you can catch fish if given the right conditions. Generally the spring Jack Crevelle run peaks this month. Spanish mackerel, black drum, redfish and pompano are possible as are trout. The trout tend to be scarce but are generally large when you find them. Large silver weedless spoons will work for the trout and Jacks. Use Mannolures and a light steel leader for the Spanish mackerel. The black drum, pompano and even reds can be caught using Fishbite/shrimp combos. If all else fails try fishing the first gut for whiting using your trout gear and peeled shrimp and Fishbites about a foot below a half ounce egg sinker. Recent catches have included Jack Crevelle, black drum, redfish, pompano, whiting and bull and black tip sharks.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've run at least 15 mph. I go at low tide on the water's edge and run as fast as is safe. It's easy to miss the turtles. Just go around the mob of seagulls eating baby turtles.

Who's going to be out there enforcing the speed limit anyway?

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
i overheat running that slow headed north, going south its not a problem with the SE wind. i was stopped and warned once last summer.I'm going to run at least 25, if I spot a ranger I'll slow down and hope they don't get on radar.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roger does in fact run at least 25 or more laugh

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Roger (& others), I'd like to come if my schedule allows - just never know 'til closer to the time as I have to travel a bit for work. I tried to make it last year but had to travel out of the country then, even went out and bought a new spinning rig with a 10ft rod, etc.

If I do, I'd be coming from SE Houston - someone could ride down with me, or I'd pay for someone else's gas to ride with them. Houston Hobby airport (SWA hub here) is only 15min from the house too, so if someone needed a ride from there that could work.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys, just got onto this thread.
I would love to come schedule and family permitting. BTW are spouses and young kids allowed?
I've never fished the surf here - I've done some back down in Peru, lots of sea bass and flounder smile

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
bring the wife and kiddo's i believe a few others are, my 15 yr old will be going.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stx, when are you planning on going?
Son is 2.5yr and almost 11 months, so not quite ready to be helpful in anyway smile
Yesterday he caught his first fish. I hooked it, but he reeled it in, great job for a toddler with a 7'0 rod. A small Black Drum, but he is now hooked on fishing wink

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
23-26 of august, one thing to remember is we will be down on the island anywhere from 10-30,40 miles from the nearest rd. unless the driving conditions are ideal you'll need 4x4 and there's no phone service unless you got a satellite ph.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There will be a couple of people from the Houston area, or going through the Houston area. I have an extended cab 4x4, and folks are welcome to ride with me, but the back seat is a little snug for adults on a long drive.

Last year a couple folks with cars drove to the visitor center, and then caught rides with the folks with 4x4's to actually run down the beach.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bring the wife and kiddo's i believe a few others are, my 15 yr old will be going.

I'll bring a guitar this trip.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will be coming down 77 to Victoria. In an old single cab 4x4. Sure would like to meet up with some coming from Houston there and kind of convoy on in to PINS.

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 14 of 30 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 35 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,211
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.