-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes they are good stocks I have had 2. One was a Medalist and yes they are not light...the other is a 1st Gen TI and is a full 12 oz lighter than the factory Rem 700 plastic

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So can a person order a stock and expect it to be a drop-in fit?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

call em up......formost authority

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got one that came on my Model 70 EW 7mm WSM. It seems like a nice stock and I plan on using it this year for hunting before putting the barreled action in a compact edge stock. I'll keep this stock for a 243 AI build, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three with a fourth on the way. No troubles with fit at all and accuracy has been great with only minor removal of material in the barrel channel to get a float. I'd love to have a McMillan on every rifle but, for the money, Bell and Carlson fills the bill.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Carbelites. One I love, the other not so much.

The form they use for the Rem 700 carbelites is a nice stock, or at least, I like it.

The form they use for Ruger 77 MKIIs is a bit clunky and I don't care for mine.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have no problem continuing to use them when working with a budget and cannot imagine a scenario where the BC would fail but a Manners or Mcmillan would have saved the day.

Unless your going with an edge fill or something similiar from manners I just dont see a big advantage. I was confident enough that I dropped a surgeon into one of the light weight tacticals and have been very pleased.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenneth
So can a person order a stock and expect it to be a drop-in fit?

Mine didn't.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had to open the barrel channel bit and work on the aftermarket trigger guard, but it was fun I guess. The others I have helped or done a little sanding was required as well, so not exactly drop in.

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wouldn't want a drop in.I'd be going for clearance and bedding.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Medalist and Carbelite are two completely different animals. The Medalists I have seen were drop in.

I have weighed my Medalists, HS, and McMillans (non-Edge), and they are all about the same. 2-2.5lbs.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ive had two B&C Medalist stocks. Both are now gathering dust in my gun room. Both were replaced with McMillan Edge stocks.

'Nuff sed.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What specific B&C model would fit my Lipseys Ruger 77 stainless RSI 7mm-08?

Molan Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any stock with an aluminum bedding block, hell any factory inletted stock at all, but especially the aluminum BB ones, needs to be machined by the factory to accept all rifles of the type they're meant for. These rifles have size tolerances so the BB must be machined larger than the highest tolerance for the rifle. Especially since aluminum has twice the expansion ratio of steel. If you have a rifle at the low end of the tolerance range you'll have more slop.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Medalist, a Carbelite, and 5 Ti stocks. All of them were steel bedded and free floated by me and all work very well. Very value for the money and Very good performance for the money.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Ive had two B&C Medalist stocks. Both are now gathering dust in my gun room. Both were replaced with McMillan Edge stocks.

'Nuff sed.

Please elaborate ... Not quite 'nuff said. smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 4 carbelites. I'm good with all of them. On a tang safety Ruger M77, I need to do some adjusting to get it together. It reduced the weight of the rifle by almost 1/2 a pound from thr walnut stock. On my M700 Remington Classic, I glass-bedded it, and it's a little lighter than the walnut stock. On my M70 XTR, it's an older B&C stock, and it weighs 4 ounces more than the factory XTR walnut stock.

I'd buy another for a rifle that needed it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have 3 one medialist one from a lvsf and one on my vanguard backcountry. All work much better that a plastic stock. My backcountry stock did crack behind the recoil lug, I have tried to fix it with steel bedding compound and I need to shoot it more to make sure its "fixed".

My medalist is on a 300wby vanguard it's a nice looking stock but feels heavy. It only needed a little bit of fitting for the bolt to get clearence on the left side to fit. My shooting buddy had to do the same thing on his.

I'll buy another

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Bighorn

'Nuff sed.

Please elaborate ... Not quite 'nuff said. smile

Well, allright, since you asked-

The B&C Medalist stocks were on a Weatherby Vanguard SA, and a Weatherby MkV .300 Wby. Mag.
I found them to have a clunky feel, but my biggest objection was to the floppy forends. The overall fit also left a lot to be desired, IMO.

Both were replaced with McMillan Edge stocks, which simply feel better, fit better, look better, are lighter weight, and noticeably stiffer in the forend. In addition, accuracy with both rifles is noticeably better with the McMillan stocks.

You get what you pay for, most of the time.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks .... been jacking around with the idea of getting one for a varminter ... but may just go the Laminate route. Wieght isn't a big issue for me (other than my own!).

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.