#6361925 04/01/12
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Talk to me boys....

Every gun-nut should have one wildcat in his portfolio....I'm thinking this will be mine.

I've done basic research on it, but have a couple questions.

Brass is formed by fire-forming standard ammo, I know, but how accurate is this? - Is standard ammo accurate enough for hunting until enough brass is availble for reloads, or should I load up a bunch of squib-loads to fire-forming brass for the AI? I have several hundred rounds of once-fired '06 brass. I also have a couple other standard '06's to feed...and my reloading gear is packed away, and 600 miles away...but not inaccessible. smile

Once fire-formed I'm thinking I will neck-size-only for the AI. How far can I push the brass doing this?

I've been researching good "book" loads - and they vary considerably. Looks like RL 19 is one of the best, but I'd like to hear some pet load data. I'm more interested in accuracy than velocity- tho this IS being designed for a reach-out rifle - to 500 yards or so, so velocity is good also.

Last edited by las; 04/01/12.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Then you should go for a real wildcat. If you can buy ammo off the shelf and shoot it, I don't consider that a true wildcat, it's just an improved chamber.

You should be fine with standard ammo, despite all that written stuff about improved not being accurate standard loads. I've done same damn fine shooting with it and killed critters to fireform brass. Of course that assumes everything is cut straight, and if it ain't then it ain't.

You will not see much of a gain with the 06 Improved, less case trimming will likely be the biggest benefit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agreed on the Improved part.

Have an 06 Improved and been working with it a bit. Kills elks fine. Tried RL17 after reading the hype with 200g but it was not a standout for me.

After touching base with GSSP, bought some RL25 for the 180s. Additionally, mine can be loaded long--lots of room in the case. Will wring it out this spring.

Talking with GSSP will be worth your while.

I neck size but FL for hunting rounds. Have a bunch of Federal cases so I generally toss them around the time they should be annealed.

With the 180s you are basically tossing the same load as 7RM 175s but its a sweetie to shoot.

Have had a number of AIs and they all were accurate with factory ammo. Hunting, I throw a box of factory in the other bag just in case...

Last edited by tomk; 04/02/12. Reason: factory

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The so called improved chamberings are no improvement. While its fun to do the first time that's the only benefit you will get.

The velocity gains are modest. The accuracy may change as your changing the rifle and how it fits it's bedding. It may change for the worse.

There is not less case trimming. Some think they notice shorter cases as the fireforming pulls metal back into the shoulder shortening the case.

The value of the rifle will drop. The barrel stamping should be changed.

Select a rifle hunting cartridge that is "Enough Gun" and not one designed to just wound the enemy!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Right now, my wildcat is a Sako m75 Greywolf built into a 338-06AI LOVE IT!!! Wanted to be different. Shoots 225gr AB's and TTSX's.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ste_vel
The accuracy may change as your changing the rifle and how it fits it's bedding.

How does cutting a new chamber change the bedding?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The accuracy may change as your changing the rifle and how it fits it's bedding.

How does cutting a new chamber change the bedding?

The g'smith will probably set the barrel back 1 turn before cutting the new chamber.

Shooting factory ammo will be about as accurate as formed brass. The '06 AI will give you 100-150 fps above factory but only in 180 grain and above bullets. RL-22 works best in mine with a 180g AB.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a 06 AI and like it. With mine I could not tell any real difference in accuracy while fireforming. I have only ran 2 loads over the chroney. A 165 Partition at 2939 and a 180 Mollied BT at 2855 Both loads with RL 22.

I bought this one with the sole purpose of running 165's but think the 180's have some potential to reach better than 2900 so I'm going to work on that one of these days The bottom group is fireforming cases with 150 Remington core locks
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The so called improved chamberings are no improvement. While its fun to do the first time that's the only benefit you will get.

The velocity gains are modest. The accuracy may change as your changing the rifle and how it fits it's bedding. It may change for the worse.

There is not less case trimming. Some think they notice shorter cases as the fireforming pulls metal back into the shoulder shortening the case.

Glad to see you are still a [bleep] idiot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

HUH! crazy crazy

You find me a regular 280 Rem which will push a 162gr Amax to 3050fps.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=Ste_vel]The so called improved chamberings are no improvement. While its fun to do the first time that's the only benefit you will get.

The value of the rifle will drop. The barrel stamping should be changed. [/
quote]

Its improved but it's not improved?
The bedding might change?
There is not less case trimming?

WOW!!!!!

Shod

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a 257 AI and love it... No case trimming in 7 loadings, and 3330 fps from 100s in those same 7 loadings... It's fantastic although I am sure that I'd love it in the standard Bob.

I wouldn't hesitate to open up that '06 to AI if I were you...

And just for the record, it isn't a wildcat...

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Push the shoulder forwardas well and go for a .30-.280. You are 'sposed to get a little over 100fps over the standard 30-06.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Glad to see you are still a [bleep] idiot.

Thanks, Scott - I needed that! smile

"fun to do the first time" - isn't that enough?

Just for the record, I AM the gunsmith, and I know velocity gains are modest, but I think I fugged up the chambering - long story- , so the improved version would be a save, if needed. Haven't shot it yet.

Or a discard. The value of the rifle is that it is mine. Ain't no barrel stampings as yet, and I don't give a chit where they lie anyway as long as the gun shoots. I quit selling guns years ago. My .260 takeoff replacement barrel stampings are 180 off- the killing isn't affected any as far as I can see. When I'm dead, i won't give a crap about what the "estate" gets for them, if the kids don't want them.

I'm an azzhole, but I'm not anal.

Would that make me an anal-less or an anal-free azzhole??? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They'll look like this when done.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
las:

Maybe honest?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I think you should actually try one and see!

I agree that the AI cartridges that will fire factory ammo are not really a true wildcat. The only AI I have that will shoot factory ammo is a .30-30, there is a significant velocity improvement, far less case stretch, far better case life and last but not least no barrel setback required. I'm not sure about the gains with the .30/06 but you could also go with the .30 Gibbs for a true '/06 based wildcat.

Just my $.02

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...and this one time at band camp! laugh

I just don't see how 3050 fps. with a .280 AI and 162 Amaxs is possible. I would definitely get a different chronograph.

I have built several custom 7mm mags with 26 and 27" barrels that I leaned on pretty hard to get that kind of velocity "safely" in warm weather. Be careful out there laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot those loads over several different chronographs and they all told me precisely that.
Accurate Powder's loading data also confirms my findings.
Don't know if they have the loads listed online but I have the email from Johan Loubser, ballistician at Accurate if you'd like to see it.
26" barrel, no pressure signs, Magpro ROCKS!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sent my 7RM down the road because of this 280AI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (22250rem, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,623
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.