Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Which is the more accurate handgun?

The ability toadd a 22Mag cylinder is a HUGE plus. But I am not sure of the accuracy with said cylinder.

I asked a few months ago of thoughs Buckmark vs Ruger Mark III. I think I have made the decision to stick with Ruger.

Now trying to make the pick between the two.

Would be a training tool, packing pistol for the kids and myself.

Almost leaning toward the revolver as it's more "intentional" than the autoloader. But accuracy is paramount.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got the Single-Six convertible AND the Ruger MK-II slab-side..

The latter is by far my most accurate. I've had quite a few folks tell me they're not all that enthralled by the MK-III.. Since I do not have one nor have I had one in the shop I cannot tell you why, nor can I remember why, they're not favored..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The biggest reason I remember for the unfavorable views of the Mark III is the magazine safety.

I have a Mark III 22/45 slab side and love it.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Guess I was wrong. Actually got results from the Search function for once. Seems the 22Mag cylinder is the more accurate of the two. I did recall a difference in the bullets diameters/specs for the two rimfires.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I do not have a Single Six but I do have a MkIII. The Mk has run flawlessly and the accuracy is excellent. Mine is the stainless 5 1/2" bull barrel.

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The single six's are reasonably accurate, but the target barrel auto loaders are almost guranteed to win any and all accuracy matches.

Kid + 5 1/2" autoloading ruger = lotsa fun

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a couple of each
The Mark II is much more consistant
and fun
do you want iron sights scope or red dot (busnelle trs25) They all lend themselves well to the Mark II

My opionion the single six is an iron sight gun

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mk II or Mk III will be more accurate by far. There may be an exceptional Single Six in someone's possession that will match the average run of the mill Mk II/IIIbut you'd have to look far and wide to find it.

Having owned a bunch of Mk II's over the years I had a very strong prejudice against the Mk III until I bought one. The loaded chamber indicator is hokey and Ruger loves to make them oversize on all of their pistols that have one. The mag safety is superfluous IMO but the Browning Buckmark and Hi-Power both have them and that doesn't seem to stop people from buying those. It can always be disabled.

On the good side - I really like the magazine release by the trigger where it should be, it's much more instinctive when switching between the Ruger and my other semi-autos. I like the drilled and tapped receiver and Weaver base supplied with the pistol, that makes it easy to put a red dot or scope on it if you want to.

And despite the added "features", it's still the same basic pistol Bill Ruger first made over 60 years ago, and still just as reliable and accurate as ever.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a SingleSix with both cylinders, and a Mk I 5.5" bull barrel.
The revolver is a ball to shoot, and I love having the option for everything from .22 Short up to .22 Mag. It has fixed open sights, and is quite accurate, the magnum cylinder seems a little more accurate, probably because the bullets fit the barrel better. Yes, there is a slight difference in bullet diameter between LR and WMR bullets. I've killed many rabbits and squirrels with it.
The old MkI, on the other hand is LOTS more accurate than either of my 10/22s, and every bit as accurate as my old Remington bolt action .22. It's fun to shoot, but only functions with Long Rifle ammo. It's also a little complicated to take apart and reassemble for cleaning. It's accounted for it's share of rabbits and squirrels, sometimes at surprising ranges, out around 75-80 yards on jackrabbits.
Personally, I prefer revolvers, but own and shoot both in a variety of calibres. One's not better, just different, than the other.

Think direction first, then velocity.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like 'em..... grin

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The Mk II or Mk III will be more accurate by far. There may be an exceptional Single Six in someone's possession that will match the average run of the mill Mk II/IIIbut you'd have to look far and wide to find it.

Having owned a bunch of Mk II's over the years I had a very strong prejudice against the Mk III until I bought one. The loaded chamber indicator is hokey and Ruger loves to make them oversize on all of their pistols that have one. The mag safety is superfluous IMO but the Browning Buckmark and Hi-Power both have them and that doesn't seem to stop people from buying those. It can always be disabled.

On the good side - I really like the magazine release by the trigger where it should be, it's much more instinctive when switching between the Ruger and my other semi-autos. I like the drilled and tapped receiver and Weaver base supplied with the pistol, that makes it easy to put a red dot or scope on it if you want to.

And despite the added "features", it's still the same basic pistol Bill Ruger first made over 60 years ago, and still just as reliable and accurate as ever.

+1

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i love the single sixes, too... i do prefer a double action revolver with a swing out cylinder for it's easy loading qualities, and i do love the accuracy of the ruger auto pistols...

in the rugers, i like the single six for field use, as i can bring it into play with one hand... i do not trust most single action rimfire autos, carried with a loaded chamber...
i have a (true story) buddy named nick johnson... known to all our buddies as "nicked johnson", after an AD with a ruger .22 auto, while removing a coon from a trap...

accuracy in most of the single sixes i've used has been very good, even when using the .22 lr cylinders...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like them all and agree the MK is more accurate. I got a Buckmark Camper in trade a short time ago and it is quite accurate and it has a nice trigger.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Which is the more accurate handgun?

Semi-auto .22's such as the Ruger, S&W M41, High Standard, etc. have both the front and rear sight mounted to the barrel - the slide is independent. That avoids the slide/barrel fitting required on most center-fire semi-autos where the sights are mounted to the slide. Having the chamber integral with the barrel also shortcuts any alignment issues between the cylinder and barrel of a revolver.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the SS and the MKII 22/45, and my oldest boy has a Bearcat. The two boys, 6 and 10, put 3 times the rounds through the 22/45 than the SS, or the Bearcat. I've also put a bunch of miles on the atv and motorcycle while packing my 22/45 and never had a misfunction. Of all my handguns the 22/45 would be the first one I would replace if I had to start over.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MHWASH
I have the SS and the MKII 22/45, and my oldest boy has a Bearcat. The two boys, 6 and 10, put 3 times the rounds through the 22/45 than the SS, or the Bearcat. I've also put a bunch of miles on the atv and motorcycle while packing my 22/45 and never had a misfunction. Of all my handguns the 22/45 would be the first one I would replace if I had to start over.

I may be simple but thats livin

Have fun
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My MkIII bull barrel is more accurate in my hands than any .22 rimfire revolver I've ever tried.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a Mark II Slab side that was unbelievably accurate. I mounted a 12X rifle scope on it and the groups I shot with it were quite impresive. I got rid of it and bought a S&W M41 and have never shot as good of group with the S&W as I did with the Ruger but I only have a red dot on the S&W.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have owned several MKII's and several Single Six revolvers... for the most part the Mark II's were more accurate, probably a lot of that was trigger pull... but all my single six's shot well. If you want target accuracy, buy the auto... if you want a field carry gun..buy the revolver... 22mag is a big bonus IMHO. A Model 17 Smith & Wesson on the other hand.....fantastic revolver!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
The biggest reason I remember for the unfavorable views of the Mark III is the magazine safety.

I have a Mark III 22/45 slab side and love it.

Both the loaded cartridge indicator & the magazine safety can be removed with a couple cheap aftermarket parts offer by members on RFC...the magazine disconnect can be removed by installing a modified hammer bushing & the plastic LCI replaced with a steel filler piece...the guy has both blued & stainless...both parts can be had for a total of about $25-$30...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.