Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Interesting and, it seems to me, insightful article especially when read in the light of remembering Romney protesting at Stanford University when he was 18 against anti-war protestors who wanted to occupy the administration building (if my memory serves correctly).

Mitt Romney, Antihero
By Malcolm Unwell

The presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney seems at first glance a lightening rod of un-enthusiasm, a man who is provocative for being unprovocative. This is of course a media-created illusion. In fact, Romney has the liberal media quaking in their boots. The media's weapons are smirk and scorn, derision and ridicule.

The left wants desperately to diminish Romney out of the fear that he will grow to become an even more formidable politician. They seek to alienate him -- to make him into what is known in psychobabble as "the other." This is the admitted strategy of the Obama campaign. Instead, Romney fits a paternalist archetype at a time when the country seriously needs a dad at the wheel. Think Don Draper without the sinister plot lines. This is why Romney is feared.

Professional critics always seem to parse their words. They cannot whole-heartedly embrace anything or anyone without caveats. Let's jettison that approach: Why not embrace Romney's candidacy with an uncritical eye, instead of the jaundiced, bored, critics' glance? No, I don't suggest we now drop our analytical functioning, but let's lose the cynicism.

When Romney explains that he does not want to "transform America", as does Obama, but rather to "restore America", rest assured that Governor Romney means to restore our country in the political, economic, and even ethnic sense (though of course he won't spell that out for his audience). This wistfulness for the past, and steel-hearted hope for the future is elegantly put. Let's internalize that slogan, and not forget what it really signifies.

Pundits shouldn't urge Romney to "be himself", with the assumption that a classy reserve is inauthentic. As broadcaster Mark Simone posited once on radio, perhaps America is ready for another patrician president. Historian and National Review editor Richard Brookhiser once identified the WASP culture as one that values a strong work ethic, and one that shuns public sensuality. Clearly Romney embodies these values. Richard Lowry, also of National Review, has deemed Romney "the last WASP, Mormon edition." Waspiness, as Brookhiser has pointed out, has less to do with actually being a Protestant at this point in history, and more to do with prudence and industriousness. It is no wonder that Romney seemed so at ease receiving the endorsement of the equally patrician George H.W. Bush. Both these men have a quiet dignity which is very becoming to the office of president.

This WASPish reserve, combined with his hyper-articulateness, is why Romney does not meet the pop-culture standard of "authentic." Romney does not conform to the new-age, baby-boomer practice of nauseating self-expression and shameless emoting. And why, we shouldn't want him to do so. After all, is there not a conservative backlash against the baby-boomers on the part of "Generation X'rs", of whom I count myself one?

We are too cynical a culture to put anyone up on a pedestal. As Paul Simon once asked, "where did you go Joe DiMaggio?" Simon also asked, "who will be my role model, now that my role model's gone." If these lyrics were relevant at the time of his music's publication, they are even more so today. For if we were to lionize an individual, whom would we choose? Those who have been deified in my generation have either killed themselves or turned out to be child molesters. Granted, those were bad choices for deities.

Romney is an antihero. Whereas an antihero used to signify a rebel, such as Holden Caulfield in the '50s, now a rebel is a generic type, and therefore not "anti" anything, really. With his patrician mannerisms and puritanical lifestyle, it would seem that Romney is the real rebel, a rebel against rebellion, if you will.

Romney presents himself as the archetypical leader of men. This in an age when, as columnist Rebecca Bynum recently put it, "everything is suited to satire, and nothing is sacred." Because of the unchecked cynicism of the electorate, Romney is yet to be taken as seriously as he deserves, and it is hoped that April 3rd's victories in Maryland, D.C., and Wisconsin will change that. But with the incompetence of both the Bush and Obama administrations, we are a country hesitant to sign on enthusiastically to the leadership of any individual.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/04/mitt_romney_antihero.html#ixzz1rEy5E9Kk

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
dude...liberal junkie...blow your sister...

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by TBaker5390

Keepin' it classy... frown

Murphy was an optimist.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Flyfast

Keepin' it classy... frown

With Rob? His previous names were neal and bob...

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
classier.

Murphy was an optimist.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Flyfast
classier.

If you knew me...you would know the size of the chit I do not give on being classy...I do not shoot for being "classy"...funny...is a different story...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
keep shooting for it. you'll get there eventually. laugh

Murphy was an optimist.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You forgot to mention that you don't give a
"chit" either on acting and sounding stupid---as evidenced by your choice to respond using logical fallacies. laugh

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument to the man"), is 1) a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by addressing the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself; 2) an argument pointing out an inconsistency between a view expressed by an individual and the remainder of his or her beliefs.

Last edited by RobJordan; 04/06/12.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RobJordan
"chit" either on acting and sounding stupid---as evidenced by your choice to respond using logical fallacies. laugh

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument to the man"), is 1) a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument or assertion by addressing the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself; 2) an argument pointing out an inconsistency between a view expressed by an individual and the remainder of his or her beliefs.

Have you been accused of being a pedophile? Just worrying...

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Have you been accused of being a pedophile? Just worrying...

Like shooting fish in a barrel! grin

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.