Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
If you all think every team in the NFL isn't doing this well there must be inteligence somewhere else in your family one would hope.

If you will read the statements coming out, it is pretty clear this is not widespread practice. We have violent players stating that they are shocked by this and have never seen such behavior. The NFL told them to stop, put them on notice and they did it in their face. This tape shows that Williams went way beyond a pep talk.

I agree Dennis.

Play hard and hit hard are universal but play to injure and play to take out, these are not universal.

Gregg Williams will never coach in the NFL again.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
ESPN;s 30 for 30 had a show recently about the Miami Hurricanes footaball team when they were winning championships in the 80's. At that time they made national news for a "bounty" system. In interviews for the ESPN show Miami players admitted to receiving money for big plays and big hits. The show can be seen on youtube. The part I am referring to is 1 hour and 30 min into the show. I am not saying bounties are right, but they are nothing new.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If evidence of a bounty system is found in the NFL in the future then the NFL needs to yank draft picks from the offending teams.
I don't think it would be too harsh to yank ALL the draft picks from offending teams the next season.
Taking draft picks away would get the attention of the teams!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by overmax
ESPN;s 30 for 30 had a show recently about the Miami Hurricanes footaball team when they were winning championships in the 80's. At that time they made national news for a "bounty" system. In interviews for the ESPN show Miami players admitted to receiving money for big plays and big hits. The show can be seen on youtube. The part I am referring to is 1 hour and 30 min into the show. I am not saying bounties are right, but they are nothing new.

The difference was, those hits were legal hits and there was no "bounty" for hurting players.

I think the most distasteful thing about Greg Williams "bounty" system was that he specifically offered money for hurting players, especially targeting players with concussions and bad knees.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He'll never work in the NFL again.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Foxbat

The difference was, those hits were legal hits and there was no "bounty" for hurting players.

I think the most distasteful thing about Greg Williams "bounty" system was that he specifically offered money for hurting players, especially targeting players with concussions and bad knees.

Yep. HUGE difference between the two.

The things Williams was offering 'bountys" for were injuries that could/would ruin a players career.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If any other team is doing it I would bet that they will stop it immedicatly.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Put a mike in the locker room of any NFL team and listen to the coordinator psych up the defense....then get back to me.

Favre shouldn't have been in the game if he couldn't play. If he got late hit or cheap shotted, then he should get 15 yards for it. And he did. That's the game. You can't priss in as an overage primadonna and say "King's X"...you can't hit me.

That said, Williams won't work again in the NFL.

Steve, I think you minimize the Favre situation. Imagine the investment made-what a Superbowl does for a state or city.

You might want to watch that game again if you think the better team won.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm extremly disapointed in the way my team acted. I'm also disapointed with how this will now taint an otherwise glorious victory in the superbowl. Not saying the bounty played any part in it. I don't think it did. However, wanting to hit and hit hard is one thing. Doing it to intentionally hurt someone is something totally different. The cover up is always worse then the crime. Wish they would have taken the advise in 2009 to shut it down.

On a side note. If anybody thinks this didn't go on with other teams is fooling themselves. It did. The problem is now that it is out in the open, only a fool would admit it went on. I don't care how dirty or tough a player was, he will never admit any wrong doing on other teams. Especially people still affiliated with the sport. ie. ex players who have jobs as analysts.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Good points. Players need the right attitude. Playing tough football isn't a problem and sometimes injuries will result. The moment at which the player's mind is geared towards hitting with the intent to injure is when they cross the line. Tough, punishing hits are fine so long as they are legal. The refs really need to watch that stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only difference between Gregg Williams and other coaches in players in the NFL is that somebody got him on tape.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
The only difference between Gregg Williams and other coaches in players in the NFL is that somebody got him on tape.

I don't agree.

I think very few coaches went over the line like Gregg Williams did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

yep. its football that kinda talk is probally fairly common or at least it was till now.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BLG
I'm extremly disapointed in the way my team acted. I'm also disapointed with how this will now taint an otherwise glorious victory in the superbowl. Not saying the bounty played any part in it. I don't think it did. However, wanting to hit and hit hard is one thing. Doing it to intentionally hurt someone is something totally different. The cover up is always worse then the crime. Wish they would have taken the advise in 2009 to shut it down.

On a side note. If anybody thinks this didn't go on with other teams is fooling themselves. It did. The problem is now that it is out in the open, only a fool would admit it went on. I don't care how dirty or tough a player was, he will never admit any wrong doing on other teams. Especially people still affiliated with the sport. ie. ex players who have jobs as analysts.

Clyde

Just keep drinking the kool-aid, Clyde- of course it made a difference. Cheating is one of the easiest ways to win.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
GW is indeed a miserable POS, and needs a bra too sick

Gunner

Trump Won!
F
Flyfast Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
O
Originally Posted by 243WSSM

Why doesn't it surprise me that you are okay with football being played like this?

football doesn't care what I think, just pointing out the obvious.

pretty sure you California girls only play it with flags anyway, so you're probably safe. [/quote]

Wow. News flash: check the Lombardi Trophies at 4949 Centennial Blvd, or even in Raiderland, and compare it to the Aints one-and-done. Unless, of course, the calculations of the one win are made like billable hours, in which case, the 14.7 Saint Super Bowl wins are pretty impressive.....

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put a mike in the locker room of any NFL team and listen to the coordinator psych up the defense....then get back to me.

Favre shouldn't have been in the game if he couldn't play. If he got late hit or cheap shotted, then he should get 15 yards for it. And he did. That's the game. You can't priss in as an overage primadonna and say "King's X"...you can't hit me.

That said, Williams won't work again in the NFL.
BS Steve! There's a pretty big difference between playing hard nosed defense and purposely trying to injure someone to the point it could end their career. There is a difference.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam

I don't agree.

I think very few coaches went over the line like Gregg Williams did.

The Colts also had a powerful offense, and marginal defense when they won the SB in 2007. I don't think DC Ron Meeks under Tony Dungy used the same motivational techniques as Williams. Must be something in the N.O. culture that brings out the best....

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
If you all think every team in the NFL isn't doing this well there must be inteligence somewhere else in your family one would hope.

If you will read the statements coming out, it is pretty clear this is not widespread practice. We have violent players stating that they are shocked by this and have never seen such behavior. The NFL told them to stop, put them on notice and they did it in their face. This tape shows that Williams went way beyond a pep talk.

I agree Dennis.

Play hard and hit hard are universal but play to injure and play to take out, these are not universal.

Gregg Williams will never coach in the NFL again.

So you guys swallowed that hook line and sinker? Hell this even goes on at the HS level. Come back to the planet.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 04/07/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have as much proof that this type of thing is widespread as I do that it is not.
You have the right to your belief just as I to mine.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.