Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm looking to buy an insulating layer and wondered if anyone has compared these for warmth. The Kelvin appears to have more insulation by weight but haven't ever seen either.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looking to get a little more of a hands on review.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
i wear the spindrift under a coldfront jacket when its cold, great combo.
don't know anything about the kelvin, have used the spindrift alot would buy another in a flash it's warm 4 the weight, i use it as a pillow in a stuff sack, sit on it in the dirt hunting, so far it has not come apart!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had both and sold the kelvin. For me, the spindrift is perfect for what it is. The Kelvin is quite a bit heavier and didn't breathe as well. The spindrift is the perfect insulating layer for an active hunter, IMO. Combine it with a few other pieces and you've got a great system.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Do you think layered up with the Spindrift that 10 degree temps would be comfortable when inactive for an hour or so glassing. From looking at the websites the Kelvin has twice the weight of Primaloft as the Spindrift but I realize I might not be comparing apples to apples.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
If you want an insulating layer, don't overlook the mountaineering companies like Patagonia and Montbell. You can almost always find a similar jacket to the ones you're looking at on clearance somewhere for under $100. The Nano Puff for example, from Patagonia, was selling for $75 last I looked. I got a UL Down Jacket from Montbell that weighs 9 oz for $83 a while back. And since it's a mid-layer, you probably don't need camo either. Just a thought...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

X2 nanopuf. Patagucci

Originally Posted by pka45
If you want an insulating layer, don't overlook the mountaineering companies like Patagonia and Montbell. You can almost always find a similar jacket to the ones you're looking at on clearance somewhere for under $100. The Nano Puff for example, from Patagonia, was selling for $75 last I looked. I got a UL Down Jacket from Montbell that weighs 9 oz for $83 a while back. And since it's a mid-layer, you probably don't need camo either. Just a thought...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For an alternative to the nanopuff, look at REI's Revelcloud jacket. Had mine for a full year now and love it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
u can get by @ 10 degrees with the spindrift, with layering. will just have 2 play around with the right about of layers 4 your body temp. i wear a good long underwear shirt ,a fleece shirt, the spindrift and a light Patagonia synthetic
vest and cold front jacket, some of this stuff may end up in my pack for part of the day as the weather changes. have fun

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used a Kuiu spindrift for a third season CO rifle elk hunt last year. Cold and lots of snow, some days in the low 20's + wind chill. I layered up and on the coldest days wore a light merino wool base later, a light wool shirt, a fleece vest, the spindrift jacket and a thin shell on top of that. Sat on stands for hours on end for days and never really got cold (except my feet and hands). I like the primaloft in the spindrift as it still insulates if it gets a little damp from perspiration.

God Bless America!
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Never even thought of the climbing/camping gear. Thanks. It'll be a layer I'll be taking on and off and covering with my Jetstream. I do like the way the spindrift can be stowed in a day pack just in case you have to spend a night out.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
IMO, the Kelvin is a sitting layer, great for treestand or sitting on a ridge point waiting. I overheat in the Kelvin when moving and, just using the vest, I can't vent very well with it. The Kevlin layers are bulky to pack away, if you need to drop a layer on the move, I think "anie" has it about right for layers.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't overlook the Montbell Thermawrap, I bought the jacket and vest this year. Great products. Been wearing the vest under a mock pullover when I start out turkey hunting on cool mornings and pack it away in my vest after the sun comes up.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 04/10/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Spindrift and have used it a good bit. Very light and warm for its weight. The Kelvin is much heavier and bulkier. It is probably a little warmer but also does not breathe as much. I sold the Kelvin Jacket but still have the vest. If you are going to be moving then the Spindrift is the way to go. It packs down much smaller and lighter.

The Montbell, Patagonia and others are great as well. The price on those is more than the spindrift unless you find them on sale. For full retail the spindrift is as good as those and cheaper.

Lee

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just last week, I purchased a now-discontinued Patagonia Micro Puff hooded jacket on closeout for $115 shipped. The original "MSRP" was $229. There are several places that have good deals on them now, but it looks like they are going fast.

The Micro Puff has 100g Primaloft, compared with the 60 grams in the Nano Puff.

If there is any chance that you may spend an unexpected night in the wilderness, don't discount the importance of an insulated hood.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ebby
I really like the Spindrift and have used it a good bit. Very light and warm for its weight. The Kelvin is much heavier and bulkier. It is probably a little warmer but also does not breathe as much. I sold the Kelvin Jacket but still have the vest. If you are going to be moving then the Spindrift is the way to go. It packs down much smaller and lighter.

The Montbell, Patagonia and others are great as well. The price on those is more than the spindrift unless you find them on sale. For full retail the spindrift is as good as those and cheaper.

Lee

EBay is your friend, I picked up a Thermawrap jacket and vest for about $100.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
10 degrees F with the merino base, microtex shirt and jacket, followed by the spindrift and covered with the Chugach rain gear if windy keeps me warm glassing. Great jacket and rain gear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 60 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,199
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.