-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Top 5 Reasons Why Cast Iron Cookware Is So Green...

1. Cast iron is naturally non-stick. Properly seasoned (see below) nothing will stick to it. Cast iron eliminates the need for the costly, toxic chemicals used to create the non-stick surfaces in modern cookware.

2. Eco-easy clean up. All cast iron cookware requires for clean up is hot water and a stiff brush, so you avoid any harmful chemicals in detergent or solvents.

3. Cast iron can take the heat. It can withstand much hotter temperatures and will distribute the heat more evenly than traditional cookware. And since it holds heat well, you can use less energy to cook. Plus it�s perfect for outdoor cooking. Just remember that cast iron gets hot. so use an oven mitt when handling a hot pan.

4. It�s a great upcycling opportunity. Don�t ever worry about buying a cast iron skillet or other cast iron cooking vessel�like a dutch oven�from a resale shop or garage sale. Even if it looks rusty and dirty, it can be cleaned and re-seasoned and continue on cooking, forever.

5. It�s good for you. Cast iron cookware leaches small amounts of iron into food, so you get a little extra iron each time you use it. Almost anyone, especially women in their child bearing years, will benefit from this.

Link:
http://www.recyclebank.com/live-green/cast-iron-greenest-choice-cooking/#.T4DPsFbwCmQ

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and another good point is that with well seasoned cast iron, you can cook most foods on medium heat or less. This can offer a substantial energy savings over the years.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's great until you put food in it and can't lift the stinkin' thing! I like cooking in them okay, but they are simply too heavy for me.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing that is never mentioned, however: everyone bitches about electric stoves because they keep on cooking after the heat is turned off. The same is true of cast iron when the wonderful gas is turned off.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's called learning how to cook with cast iron. My dad taught me how and compared it to pass-shooting geese - lead them a looonnnggg ways! What he meant is that you should anticipate the temperature curve with cast iron. Once you do that and know it, you're golden. My wife is still trying to figure it out. grin

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Isn't there someone young, strong, and hungry in your house?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
The skillets that have a handle tab are nice. I have one skillet that when full, is a two-hand operation.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW, as for "any oil will work" for seasoning, that may be true, but I've tried just about everything, and flaxseed oil takes the prize for a beautiful seasoning that is tougher than nails, non-stick, and easy to care for.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the carryover heat when using my dutch oven, keeps the food warm for serving. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (257 mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,332
Posts18,505,938
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.