Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd take cremation over the alternative. The alternative is to have someone drain all your fluids, pack your ass with cotton, along with all the other opeings, glue your mouth shut and tie your dick in a knot.

Cremate me, load my ashes into shotshells and let my buds take me hunting! I hope I leave my kids a better legacy than a stone marker that marks my withered bones.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by burner
Was discussing with a co-worker about final plans, etc. He wants to be cremated, I feel it's way too industrial and impersonal. Like removing any trace that you ever existed from the planet. Might as well be thrown in an unmarked grave. He's an atheist, though, and doesn't care, whereas I feel that whatever your religious beliefs, it helps the family grieve and cope to be able to visit your burial plot.

Anyone else weirded out by this, and the trend towards resomation, where your remains are put in a stainless tube and basically digested by chemicals, and then you are flushed into the sewer system??

I'd like to be buried, thank you very much.

You're entitled to whatever choice you make. OTOH, I had a friend that flew for a charter service some years ago and oddly enough one of their common endeavors was to help folks dispose of their dearly beloved's cremains by air. One scenario involved taking them way out in the Gulf of Mexico before opening a window, sticking the urn out the window and then popping the lid in that order. One time a preacher did it backwards in haste and they returned wearing most of the dust.

It required careful preparation for such a seemingly benign task. On another occasion they were to fly down a beach a few hundred feet up and drop the ashes before the bereaved as they stood gathered in mourning on the beach. The son forgot to undo the wire wrap on the plastic bag inside the urn and thus the departed arrived with a thud at the feet of the bereaved. It was an inauspicious end to an otherwise unremarkable life.

If you don't think that's funny you're sicker than me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son-in-laws Grandfather's ashes are scattered above an old line cabin he and friends found in a National Forest in Colorado. They used it as an elk camp for years and their offsprings still do today. He was the last of the 8 originals who had their ashes scattered on that ridge. I cannot think of anything more fitting than being with those good friends and overlooking their offsprings elk hunts today. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first tour in Germany I realized how precious a commodity land was and with growing population would be here someday. Knowing that being buried was only for as long as someone cared to maintain your grave or it needed moving for a highway, or a lake or... I decided I did not wish to permantely hold land. I thought of skipping embalming, use a wood box and a creosote marker burying me in a pasture. By the time that rotted no one would care anymore. Turns out it is either illegal or a hassle to get all the approvals.

My family knows I do not want a traditional memorial service. Instead let them share a catered dinner and a slide show, take turns telling their favorite story of our experiences and let that be goodbye. Then my wife and kids know which valley of the national forest I hunt to spread my ashes. My wife who gave up hunting due to health problems knows the valley well having killed her first deer there and will join me later.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think one of the worlds Bibles mentions ashes to ashes or something like that.
I already have a remote Elk meadow picked out for my final resting (re-incarnation!) site!

A bit of a contradiction there...unless you're talking about your ashes fertilizing the foliage. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

A
A
yup cremation is cheaper but not environment friendly....you can use body liquefaction .....better way of memorial urns ....

Last edited by Avery; 04/10/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once I'm gone, I couldn't care less what happens. As a rule, I don't like folks making a big fuss over me. When I'm not feeling well, I'd rather just be left alone, but that's just me-to each his own. I'm for whatever's cheapest. I don't want my wife and kids saddled with an expensive funeral. I'd rather see them spend that money doing something fun that we never got a chance to do as a family. To that end, burn me up and just dump me in the woods somewhere and be done with it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just had my sister's remains cremated last week. Before that happened, we had to endure the emotional torture of the "showing" of her body for two days. Everybody stood around staring at her and crying but, once we had the casket closed up on the second day, the mood in the room improved and people started doing what she wanted by not wallowing in grief. You could tell that our friends and family were able to start recovering from the shock of her sudden death and my 84 year old mother even commented that she was relieved it was closed. My mother is happy that she can take my sister's urn home with her and making mom comfortable and happy is what my job is now. It was also about $2000 cheaper than a burial. So, cremation is good and that's what I'm going to have done.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
People visiting graves only lasts for one generation or less. how many graves have you visited lately?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope that my time alive was testament to my life.

Once I'm gone, use my ashes in the garden.

(Holy crap. I sound like Gus)

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
second biggest waste of property.. cemetaries
right behind golf courses.
I've always thought they should be together.
Maybe hold players off the 16th until the funeral service is over.
Then let them play through!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Now that is something I have never heard of, points for originality...

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow, I was the OP on this thread a year and two months ago. Never thought I'd see it come back like this!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buddy and I want to set up a retirement business. We'll buy lots/houses along the shore, here on the east coast.
We want to set up a 5 inch gun aimed out to sea and have people pay us to launch their loved one's ashes several miles out to sea.
We've not got all the costs in yet so those who are interested we'll send business cards so you can pay deposit and reserve a launch date.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How did this get resurrected from Feb/11????

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ill take the fire, wife too, save money and have my ashs put in the woods someplace! if Im to be shown, Id rather not be, Flanel shirt, and Jeans, instead of a dam suit!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
How did this get resurrected from Feb/11????

[Linked Image]

Necormancer has a supernatural ability to bring long-dead forum discussion threads back to life. After having been flogged to death the thread may have been deceased for many years, and bringing it back may have scant relevance to the current topic, yet Necromancer will unexpectedly exhume the thread�s rotting corpse, and strike horror in the forum as its grotesque form lurches into the discussion. The monster, instantly recognized by all who knew it in life, seems at first to breathe and have a pulse, but, alas, it is beyond Necromancer�s skill to fully restore the thread�s original vitality. The hideous apparition may frighten away some of the weaker Warriors or Warriors badly wounded in former battles, but the thread is only a shadow of its former self and very quickly expires.

From the internet Flame Warriors page.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
IMO there's nothing in the world sadder than an unvisited grave.

YMMV

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Creamate me. Send my ashes to Massingill, run me through one more time

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bbassi
IMO there's nothing in the world sadder than an unvisited grave.

YMMV

Other than a family telling a funeral home, "We know mom had all her funeral plans laid out and pre-paid. Let's scrap those plans, cremate her or whatever is cheapest, and give us the cash back.".

It happens...

And to those planning on scattering or mixing ashes in the garden, it isn't ashes like from the fireplace, it is simply coarsly ground bone. After the oven, the bigger bones don't burn up so they are crushed (basically run through a industrial garbage diposal). You get back what's left.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.