Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I was out for a couple long outtings with my HPG Tarahumara this past weekend and have to say, I am really blown away at how good it is.

I have owned scores of packs in the same size range as the Tara, some with hip/waist belts, some without. Some worked out OK, most were dreadfully uncomfortable. None of the previous packs with shoulder suspension only, could have been described as even remotely comfortable.

I had heard lots of good things about the HPG shoulder harness, and from looking at photos of it it showed promise.

When I put it on, I knew this was something much different from any of the small "hydration style" pack of my past. The Tarahumara fit amazingly well.

I had plenty of room in it for a wind shell, insulated vest, gloves, hat, 1st aid kit, emergency kit, knife and food with plenty of room to spare. Two, 1L bottles in the bottle pockets and a pair of Northern Lites snowshoes under the compression straps.

On my front side, in my HPG Runners Kit bag, I carried my .41 mag, Digital Camera, Leica, 8x20 binoculars, and compass.

The pack carried as though it were part of me, on the flats, climbing steep slopes and running hard down the snowfields.

Accessing the water bottles took me a brief moment to figure out, but once I learned to loosen the compression strap, I could easilly get the bottle out and back in.

Evan and Scot have a real winner with the Tarahumara, and I can't wait to get one of the new Highlander's from them. I think the Highlander will be an ideal fast & light overnight pack for me for three season use.

Ed T

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Tara is a great little pack, I have found it to be perfect for mtn biking also. The Tara and Kit bag make a nice "light and fast" style day pack setup. Everybody I have had try on and use the Tara say they love it, even people who hate wearing packs.

I will be getting a Highlander soon but plan to do a few mods to it. I already have the prototype compression panel (which will be getting a g-hook makeover) so the Highlander will probably be just used as a day pack only. I want to add a frame sheet in the rear slot pocket and then sew a simple waist belt on it. I may not do that though, it might be fine as is.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Tara is super nice and my go to daypack

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Cool. I was worried about the no-waistbelt thing. Any of you guys who own one, do you see any good way to carry an avy shovel on the outside? If not, I suppose I could just add a flap. TIA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Ed! Here's how I stow a shovel on the Tara:

[Linked Image]

eta: Funny side note - when I first started building stuff, one of my design points was where the pictured shovel (voila telepro) would fit. It has a wider blade than most snow shovels. I try to standardize on dimensions where possible for interchangeability, so the width of that shovel blade has found it's way into a lot of different things.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got one of the hpg bags on my short list. The shoulder harness reminds me so much of the harness off my old biathlon rifle. That alone makes me want one.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That shovel does look like it fits that spot really well. It is birthday season here at our house. I'll have to order a couple to go with our kit bags.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
A few thinks I didn't mention on the Tarahumara. The narrow profile, even with water bottles allows a complete are swing for running of poling when skiing.

Wes mentioned how good it is for mountain biking and that thought struck me right away. A waist belt is a pain in the ass on a bike, IMO and the Tara's shoulder harness keeps the pack so well centered.

This or the Highlander will also be ideal for use with a pulk. I'll just use my Granite Gear hip belt with pals webbing for the pulk and the pack will ride above it.

Really great design. Very basic layout without so many pockets and straps that you forget what got put where.

Ed T

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
ED How is sweat management with the pack panel?

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Ridgernr
ED How is sweat management with the pack panel?

Derrick,

I really don't see any difference between the Tara back panel and one of the "air mesh" "evaporaid" etc back panels. I sweat a lot and I am going to be wet where a pack contacts my back regardless of what it is made of.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Santa brought me a Tarahumara and a kit bag,I love them..Really been thinking about the new compression/mating system but not sure how it'll work with the Kuiu pack,cause it's definitly going to Co. chasing elk with me one way or another...

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just ordered one of these. Will the side pockets accept a miltary style canteen?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GI 1qt canteens were specifically what I had in mind when I designed it. They tuck right into the side pockets. You can even wedge the canteen cup in the bottom, but its tight.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Thanks Evan. You guy's keep putting out the products. I love my Kit Bag! I am going to use the Kit Bag / Tarahumara combo as my get home/crap hit the fan set-up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to give my Tara a little workout today. I was amazed by how well it hugs your back. The harness system is very well thought out and designed. It amazing how much stuff you can really get in that little pack!

[Linked Image]

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You guys are costin' me money!!!

Seriously though, ordered one this AM and got the notice that it'd shipped before noon, that's what I call customer service.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Evan:

I just recently bought a standard Kit Bag, which I like a great deal.

The Tara looks like it would pair with it pretty well.

- Tom

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
The Tara continues to amaze me. This past weekend, I carried a pair of Hok 125 cm skis on the Tara and they carried as well as any dedicated ski pack. Longer skis probably wouldn't stabilize as well but, I thought this was pretty impressive.

My HPG Highlander showed up yesterday and I can't wait to get it out.

[Linked Image]

Ed T

C
C
Can the Tarahumara be mounted to the back of a Kifaru KU5200 in a similar fashion to the way an E&E attaches?

I�m looking for a small pack that can hold items such as rain gear for easy access and can be quickly detached for use during a stalk.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Evanhill, I do like the looks of the Tara! I have been thinking about getting a new pack for the upcoming season. When reading a little about it on the website it looks like it does not have any internal pockets inside of the main compartment. True? What would be the design feature of that and how would you recommend carrying small items that you might have to get to easily, batteries,lighter,energy bar, etc? Thanks

A man's got to know his limitations!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.