-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, with the odds being what they are, he doesn't even need a gun unless he is a "sportsman," and then he only needs a "sporting" firearm. I think there is an advocacy group that touts the same principle.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am so slow all I need is a hour glass for a shot timer....maybe a sun dial would be better confused

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket

People sometimes get wound up and holster too fast, which can lead to a finger getting caught in the triggerguard and a KABOOM happening while your muzzle is pointed directly at your azz. I've seen it happen.

Yep I have a friend I nick named ...........................you guessed it "crackshot". He said the bullet through the cheek wasn't as bad as the cleaning.... eek

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I see plenty of comments in support of using a timer where the poster equates gaming with combat performance. Col Cooper must be rolling over in his grave. eek

It is helpful to time drawing from concealment to first shot so that one understands just how long it takes to get the roscoe into action. And the timer adds a little stress. But quick-draw is gaming mentality partially spawned by 50's Hollywood movie fakery and has little place in combat IMHO.

Lots of folks carry concealed nowadays and they do need to practice bringing their weapon to bear without shooting themselves, bystanders, etc. And a little stress created by a timer can help work out the kinks.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by derby_dude
This is an interesting thread. I'm trying to figure out how many of us civilians will be involved in a gun fight at the OK Corral.

Do you carry?

Travis

I have a fire extinguisher in each of my vehicles. I saw a guy by the side of the road in about 1985 with his beautiful classic muscle car's engine on fire, and a bunch of people just standing around helpless watching this gorgeous car as it was reduced to scrap metal in less than 2 minutes.

I stopped trying to figure out how many of us civilian drivers have to put out car fires at that time and decided I'd better A) start carrying fire extinguishers in my vehicles and B) know how to use them.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dla
But quick-draw is gaming mentality partially spawned by 50's Hollywood movie fakery and has little place in combat IMHO.

There's a big difference between learning "quick-draw" as a competitive sport, and learning how to draw your personal defensive pistol for a rapid presentation in a defensive scenario. The problem is that most CCW carriers have never really tested themselves in the latter skill.

And that's the beauty of having your very own personal shot timer. You can test your skills and equipment and work on improving them on your own time, without engaging in shooting contests that have a competitive aspect if that bothers you.

It's not about competing against another good guy. It's all about making yourself ready for the Bad Guy.

That's all I'm saying here, and all I've been saying since the OP. In my opinion, every self-aware and self-critical defensive shooter should have a shot timer and use it. It's like balancing your checkbook or changing the batteries in your home's smoke detectors.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since this thread was an expansion on the mouse gun thread, I'm waiting for a front pocket guy to post times from a sitting position. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is an interesting thread. I'm trying to figure out how many of us civilians will be involved in a gun fight at the OK Corral.

Do you carry?

Travis

I have a fire extinguisher in each of my vehicles. I saw a guy by the side of the road in about 1985 with his beautiful classic muscle car's engine on fire, and a bunch of people just standing around helpless watching this gorgeous car as it was reduced to scrap metal in less than 2 minutes.

I stopped trying to figure out how many of us civilian drivers have to put out car fires at that time and decided I'd better A) start carrying fire extinguishers in my vehicles and B) know how to use them.

Now there is something I know how to use! I have used the mine on 3 vehicles and those people were darn glad I had one. Prior to that I watched a motorhome burn down to the frame.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
But quick-draw is gaming mentality partially spawned by 50's Hollywood movie fakery and has little place in combat IMHO.

There's a big difference between learning "quick-draw" as a competitive sport, and learning how to draw your personal defensive pistol for a rapid presentation in a defensive scenario.

Well here's where we are going to disagree. Unless you are in the cop business, your "defensive scenario" should be to get your butt out of there. If you are drawing your weapon, it should be because you've determined that somebody needs to die. Anything less will get you killed.

It's not about competing against another good guy. It's all about making yourself ready for the Bad Guy.
Nope. You'll get killed in a hurry if you think you can magically react to a surprise situation. That's the reason situational awareness is taught. IMHO, if you're relying on your ninja reflexes - you're toast. The average person carrying concealed MUST use their brain first and foremost otherwise their pop gun is of no use. Quick draw is a gamer's method of getting killed.

I think the timer is useful to help us realize how slow we are, and then hopefully we will use our heads first to get us out of dangerous situations. smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Do you carry?

Travis

I was asking our resident feminist.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

There's a big difference between learning "quick-draw" as a competitive sport, and learning how to draw your personal defensive pistol for a rapid presentation in a defensive scenario.

Well here's where we are going to disagree. Unless you are in the cop business, your "defensive scenario" should be to get your butt out of there. If you are drawing your weapon, it should be because you've determined that somebody needs to die. Anything less will get you killed.

Nope. You'll get killed in a hurry if you think you can magically react to a surprise situation. That's the reason situational awareness is taught. IMHO, if you're relying on your ninja reflexes - you're toast. The average person carrying concealed MUST use their brain first and foremost otherwise their pop gun is of no use. Quick draw is a gamer's method of getting killed.

I think the timer is useful to help us realize how slow we are, and then hopefully we will use our heads first to get us out of dangerous situations. smile

I think timing yourself, or using a heart rate monitor when you run is only for competitive sport. It was spawned in the 70's.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Do you carry?

Travis

Only in the woods or at the range.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was asking our resident feminist.

Travis

Yup, that's me guilty as charged. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Do you carry?

Travis

Only in the woods or at the range.

Oh.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dla

You'll get killed in a hurry if you think you can magically react to a surprise situation. That's the reason situational awareness is taught... The average person carrying concealed MUST use their brain first and foremost otherwise their pop gun is of no use.

I don't believe I've ever written, said, or implied that situational awareness is not the first priority.

Originally Posted by dla
Quick draw is a gamer's method of getting killed.

Well, I tried to answer that, but you either can't or won't understand my point, so I'm done discussing this with you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
CCP? Check.

Milt Sparks leather? Check.

$1,300.00 1911? Check.

Timer? Ummm... I don't need that. They cost a whopping $89.00.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCP? Check.

Milt Sparks leather? Check.

$1,300.00 1911? Check.

Timer? Ummm... I don't need that. They cost a whopping $89.00.

Travis

89 bucks?
That's like one box of 45 ACP these days?
cry

Last edited by 340boy; 04/11/12.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Buy a Dillon. But then you'll need a chronograph.

Or, you can be one of those reloaders that reload without a chronograph. It will go well with your timer deficiency... grin

Travis

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.