Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gimme some tips on what I should do with a wild Turkey breast, I usually grill it and that's OK.

Any tips on grilling?

What else? NO casserole ideas though please.

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Don't overcook, and try brining it. Sorry...nothing earth shattering from me.

Every year that I get one, I make the same dish from one of the breasts. I pound it out, stuff it with some gruyere, and prosciutto. I roll it up, pin it together, coat it in flour, egg wash, bread crumps, and fry. That's really good. I kind of do it now as more of a tradition. I'll sometimes add asparagus in as well.

If I get one this year, I'm going to try it with some mole sauce. I used to hate mole until I worked with a bunch of Oaxacans a few years back. They'd bring it to the states. I buy mine from a Oaxacan who owns a restaurant and makes it fresh all the time. If you're feeling really ambitious, I wouldn't be afraid to give this recipe a try. The only tweak I'd make to it is that I'd toast some of the spices too.

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2074-puebla-style-turkey-mole-mole-poblano-de-guajolote

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smoke it, low and slow... brine it, marinade it, and inject it first ... try to keep some moisture in the smoker and wrap it in foil for the last few hours... slice and make sandwiches.

Turkey fingers like chicken fingers would easy and good...

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lovemy99
smoke it, low and slow... brine it, marinade it, and inject it first ... try to keep some moisture in the smoker and wrap it in foil for the last few hours... slice and make sandwiches.

Yup I made turkey fingers, breaded and fried held the moisture.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Yup I made turkey fingers, breaded and fried held the moisture.

+1. A buttermilk soak for a bit then dip in flour seasoned with a bit of Tony's and black pepper, b'milk, dip in flour again then in fairly hot oil in a cast iron pan with 1/2" of oil until golden brown. Same for critter backstrap and sliced pre-microwaved potatoes too.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Inject with cajun seasoning, cut into finger size, rollin flour with a package of onion soup added, and deep fry. Good for what ails you.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
How about mixing a cup of fresh salsa with a cup of sour cream, then adding 1/2 cup chicken bouillon and stir it up well. Put the turkey breast in a foil cooking bag--or just doubled up length of foil--folded up a bit on the sides to catch the liquid, and pour the sour cream/salsa/bouillon mixture on top. Close up the foil and grill indirectly. (Fire on one side of the grill, turkey on the other side.) Depending on the size of the breast, at 350 should be ready in 45 minutes or so.
It comes out nice and moist.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, post op report.

My Son drilled a huge Tom this weekend, 28 pounds.

Today I took 1/2 the breast and marinated in olive oil, lemon pepper and a splash of white wine.

On the grill with indirect heat for 25-30 minutes @350-400. Internal temp of meat was 160, maybe a little too high.

Great flavor but just a touch dry and "chewy".

I need to do something else with the 2nd 1/2.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Did you age it? Leaving a turkey or the parts in a refrigerator for a week or so tenderizes it, just like with a deer, especially an older bird.

of course, not cooking it quite so long helps too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cut into strips, season as you like (salt, pepper, seasoned salt, cajun spice, etc.) adn saute' with onions and fresh garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Remove turkey and other chunks from pan, add sour cream and mix to lift sticky bits from pan. Add turkey and onions back, heat, season to taste and serve over rice, noodles or potatoes. Fresh biscuits are also good...

Can add other pre-cooked veggies if you want - peas and/or carrots for example.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I always make stir fry or fajitas with my turkey breasts

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
Cut into strips, season as you like (salt, pepper, seasoned salt, cajun spice, etc.) adn saute' with onions and fresh garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Remove turkey and other chunks from pan, add sour cream and mix to lift sticky bits from pan. Add turkey and onions back, heat, season to taste and serve over rice, noodles or potatoes. Fresh biscuits are also good...

Can add other pre-cooked veggies if you want - peas and/or carrots for example.

That sounds good

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kenneth:

You've had some great suggestions that sound like good eats. I'll offer one more that we enjoy. I cut the breast into small pieces..cut against the grain...and soak in a full bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Let soak for a couple of hours. Pat dry, roll in flour and fry. Hot sauce is not too hot after it's cooked...just adds some flavor.

Elwood

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Season it your favorite way and fry it. I bone out the breast and slice it at least once longways so its thinner. 3/4 of an inch thick is about right. Cut into 1 or 2 inch strips and I roll it in Krustze seasoned flour with a little cayanne added. I fry mine in a cast iron pan with 1/8" olive oil. Fry on medium heat and don't over cook. Add a little seasoned pepper and its done.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.