Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I should be arriving in Cold Bay in 4 weeks (weather permiting)for my brown bear hunt. I ordered the last bit of gear I think I'm going to need this morning. With the record cold and snow AK has gotten this year, do think it will affect when the bears come out of their dens? The weather report out of CB looks harsh to me, but it may be considered "balmy" if you are a bear. I have no clue, I've never even seen a brown bear before. I know a month can make a huge difference in the weather. What do you guys think? Will this spring be any different than years past?

GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
We have had bears out all winter here in Kodiak. The weather hasn't seemed to bother them here too much. In fact, the high winter kill on the deer has left lots of meat around so the bears that are out seem to be sticking around. Good luck on your hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would think your timing would be splendid.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the rate this snow is melting, I also think your timing is about perfect. Bring sun tan lotion!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks guys! I hope I see the sun enough to need some sunscreen!

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
At the rate this snow is melting, I also think your timing is about perfect. Bring sun tan lotion!!

I don't think that will be needed in Cold Bay. Bring wind and waterproof gear. Cold Bay is even more miserable than Kodiak.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think most everyone know's that nobody uses sunscreen in Alaska, maybe I should have included a grin in my post. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
...Cold Bay is even more miserable than Kodiak.
Careful about what you call miserable; some of us live close enough to Cold Bay to be offended by that....

I have lived other places, but you can't top southwest AK for year round outdoor activities.

To the OP, don't fret the winter weather as May is always the right time to look for brown bears in southwest AK.........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been to Cold Bay - aptly named. And that was during the summer months. Clammy, windy, never very warm. Better you than me. Since that area is marine modified in weather, I'd expect the bears to be coming out.

I've been seeing rifles, camp gear, Outfitter's tents/poles and Cabela's duffles coming off the plane here during the last week or so, so I guess it's officially coming up on bear hunting time even this far north. The temps here have been in the upper 20's, low 30's the last few days, up from well below zero just a week or two ago, so the corner has apparently been turned. Those guys may know what they are doing! smile

Good luck on your hunt.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DocGlenn
What do you guys think? Will this spring be any different than years past?

Yes!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DocGlenn
What do you guys think? Will this spring be any different than years past?

No!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EVERY spring is different than years past.

One must expect anything between wet, heavy snow and; sunny and balmy.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by ironbender

Heck, we have had all of the above- today! Miserable is a relative term plus it keeps out the riff raff.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

...and welcome to the fire!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender

Heck, we have had all of the above- today! Miserable is a relative term plus it keeps out the riff raff.

Not entirely true. I'm here, and I ain't leaving. Or did you mean the smart riff-raff?

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
What I meant is my area can be absolutely miserable to some people. I personally love the rain and wind sometimes. The weekend warriors retreat and you basically have the whole island to yourself. Had many a banner day fishing the easy rivers with nobody around.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What I meant is my area can be absolutely miserable to some people. I personally love the rain and wind sometimes. The weekend warriors retreat and you basically have the whole island to yourself. Had many a banner day fishing the easy rivers with nobody around.

You must have missed the "smart" part.... smile. Or I was being cleverly obtuse again.

I loved my summer out there on two ADF&G fish counting sites on the Alaska Peninsula, at Bear Lake, and on the Nelson/Sapsuk River (depending on which map you look at). Rescuing our top side of the tent cabin in the middle of the night in a 70 mph blow was an interesting experience... as was the day (same location) it was blowing 50 knots from the south, when the wind begin dying off. 15 minutes later it was dead calm. 15 minutes later it was blowing 50 knots from the north. Our re-supply pilot once landed in the length of his SuperCub. I told him "George (Kitchen)- you ought to put a Stohl kit on this thing" to which he replied "J.C! I'd never get this thing on the ground!"..

On my return to "civilization" , George flew me from the Nelson River site (17 miles upriver from Nelson Lagoon) into Cold Bay to catch Reeve Aleution back to Anchorage. Headwinds delayed us, so he called ahead, and Reeve held their Ilusion?(Russian built) about 10 minutes for me. George taxied right up to the Reeve, I bailed out and grabbed my backpack. (You CAN live for 2.5 months out of what you can get in a backpack - if your empoyer feeds you!)

The boarding agent asked "Are you packing?" I answered "No". He said "Get on". I did, while he pitched my pack into the cargo hold.

It was a kinder and gentler time.

I miss civilized society.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
DocGlenn, hope you kill a good bear. An Alaskan Brown Bear hunt is on my bucket list, I'm jealous! Good luck, be safe and shoot straight! Post pics either way when you return for us all to drool over, bear or not. What a beautiful place to hunt! Basterd!

God Bless America!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have to get my slides from out there converted to digital one of thes days...

J
J
Good luck. Great place to hunt if you can get out of your tent. I know a guy who used to guide there. He's been in near-100 mph winds and tent-bound for days on end. His pilot quite flying there; too nasty too often. But, if the weather is good enough to get out, there are bears there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 3,702 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,760
Posts18,535,694
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.