Print Thread
Hop To
J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just got a very nice old J P Sauer and Sons Cape Gun. It is chambered 9x57R X 12ga (2 �). Overall condition is very good. It came with some loaded ammo, 20 empty cases and reloading dies. The previous owner shot it a bit and I am already having great fun with it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I do have several questions though. The serial # is 136XXX. Any ideas about how old it might be? The stock has a small (ivory?) medallion inlaid that says �R Muller Strand St. Cape Town�. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I understand that Mr. Muller had some type of shop. Would this medallion have been put into all rifles sold, rental guns, personal gun?
The shotgun barrel is marked �Fluss Stahl� and 13/1 with a 12 inside of a circle.
The rifle barrel is marked �Guss Stahl� and has 118/35.
Rifle side is also marked 2,7gGBP and ST.M.G.
There is also a crown over a U proof mark.
Under the forend, stamped into the shotgun barrel is a Crown over a G, on the rifle side is a similar Crown over S. There are also a few other marks including what looks like a man standing with a spear or staff.
Can anybody offer any translation of these marks. I absolutely love this gun and took a pair of squirrels with a right and left this morning.

[Linked Image]
Not too bad for its first walk in the woods in more than a few years! It is definitely a keeper and will be going back to Zim with me on my next trip. Thanks for any information that you can provide. JCS

Anybody got a line on properly headstamped brass?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I love that last pic with your pooch. It looks like he's oogling it.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool indeed sir.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
German combination guns are truly wonderful things. 9x57R is fairly rare in these guns but it is a great caliber. The traditional loading uses a .250gr SP at modest velocity making it a terrific rifle for boar, black bear, and deer out to 150 yards or so. Those express sights are fairly optomistic and at the extended ranges you would be firing a howitzer trajectory. It would also be a heck of a warthog wacker or for any plains game in heavy cover. If it is a 2 3/4 inch chamber then it should have a 70 mark on it somewhere (70mm = 2 3/4 inches). If not then it is more likely a 2.5 inch gun and I would NOT shoot any heavy (1 1/4 ounce) loads out of it. It also should have a three or four number date code on the flats somewhere (i.e. 1129 would be Nov 1929). Fluss Stahl means fluid steel. It was noted as a positive discriminator during the transition decades between damascus and fluid steel barrels. The gun was almost certainly made between the wars - probably the twenties. The receiver would have originally been case hardened and has been reblued at some point. A truly great gun.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool gun.....really want a cape gun or drilling for hunting around here.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice gun cool cool

Your dog looks ready to go smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The serial number and the 118/35 would lead me to say it is a 1935 piece. I have a Sauer cape gun 2 barrel set in 12x12 and 12x8X57JR that was proofed in 1 of 1929 that has a serial # 148,8XX. The proof load mark for the rifle was the same as for your 9x57. The guy standing with the spear is Sauer's old trademark. It should also say Nitro somewhere.

The 13/1 is the choke designation Full choke. I bet if you mic it it will be .688" + or -.

I love cape guns...probably more than I do drillings. I have another in 16ga and 9,3X72R and recently sold a sweet little 16/9,3X72R Emil Kerner to a good friend. His wife fell in love with it. If not for that, he would never have gotten the gun.

Yours was obviously made for African trade. It has a definite cool factor. cool cool

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/06/12.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well done

H
H
what a fine weapon. i would love to come across a deal on one myself some day.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.