-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...have always been sort of interesting to me. I know they are much less strong than the various falling block actions, and care is required in loading. I also gather the bore dimensions vary a lot, so it may take some development work to dial in the best shooting loads. It will take caution to ensure that a "Ruger Only" load never finds its way into the old-timer, or disaster will result frown

On the plus side, you have a ~130 year old rifle with some real history on it, and in good condition you are looking at getting one for a fraction of the cost of an original High Wall or Sharps. The cartridge is an effective killer, even loaded down to Trapdoor-safe levels.

I searched here for references but got no hits. If anyone can point to some good references on the care & feeding of the Trapdoor, it would be appreciated. Ditto any shared experiences for acquiring and loading them.

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West by Mike Venturino is a good place to start....

while they are weak compared to modern actions and even a Sharps, a trapdoor really isnt any weaker of a design than a whole lot of other black powder rifles of the same time.....it is more than strong enough for any black powder load....not sure why its always singled out for being weak and any one of 100 other designs arent....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Venturino's book is an okay start, but if you want THE BEST reference on shooting the trapdoors, find a copy of "Loading Cartidges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine" by J.S. and Pat Wolf.

A good read, even if you don't own a trapdoor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want the absolute first and last word on trapdoors, look no further than the reprints of the US Army springfield manual.
Getting a decent trapdoor will cost about the same as one of the recent Winchester bpcr hiwalls.
They are fun old rifles, once a fella figures out what each rifle wants to be fed,they can be very accurate.
Don't sell the trapdoor action short on strength, they did fool around with rebarreling them to 30-40, but decided to go with the Krag rifle instead.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
very interesting stuff. I had long thought the rolling block was stronger than the Trapdoor, but it appears not to be the case.

In Pet Loads Ken Waters talked about the choice of the Army's choice of the Trapdoor over the Sharps, and he pointed out the ammunition of the day was frequently inconsistent in size. In those cases the extra camming & extraction power of the Trapdoor improved reliability.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
very interesting stuff. I had long thought the rolling block was stronger than the Trapdoor, but it appears not to be the case.

In Pet Loads Ken Waters talked about the choice of the Army's choice of the Trapdoor over the Sharps, and he pointed out the ammunition of the day was frequently inconsistent in size. In those cases the extra camming & extraction power of the Trapdoor improved reliability.

Horsechit.

A.)The Springfield proponents had a better brand of Champagne, at fancier Whorehouses, to take the .Gov procurement people to.

B.) The design allowed a HORDE of leftover ML "Rifle Muskets" to be converted, as opposed to procuring new arms,....once the "conversion" contract ran out, the old tooling (For Stocks, Barrel bands, Trigger Guards, Locks AND Barrels) was already in place, as was a contented pool of happily employed VOTERS.

"long thought the rolling block was stronger than the Trapdoor, but it appears not to be the case."

Horsechit with calf scour poured over it, my friend.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Horsechit with calf scour poured over it, my friend.

grin I will allow that one of the posters on the castboolits thread made a point about the hinge pin on the Trapdoor. It fails and all bets are off.

But the destructive tests of the trapdoor were interesting. It took some stupid overloads of smokeless to blow it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Proving that crossfirepoops doesn't know what he's driveling about.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cross, (and others here) have more experience and knowledge with the subject of BPCR that I ever will, and more than you'll ever dream of. Shoo away and let the adults have a conversation.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 13,965 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,138
Posts18,542,444
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.