-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy fellow fire members! I'm heading home on leave in a few weeks, and I'm going to be taking my 12 year old son along on a hunting trip for black bear while I'm home. I was planning to pick up a Marlin Youth model X7 in 7mm-08 for him, but they are back - ordered so I decided to go with this one instead:
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/27263.jpg

Since I'll only be home for two weeks, I won't have time to develop any good hand - loads for him. Thus my question - For factory ammo, what would ya'll suggest for black bear that would work well in the short 20" barrel on his bantam youth model Mossberg 7mm-08?

Thanks in advance for your advice, this will be my first experience with this caliber so I'm not sure what to look for in terms of factory ammo.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would buy Federal Premium w/Partition in your shoes, and not stress ammo. But that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting to say, I hope you and your son have the hunt of a lifetime, and thank you, sir.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem/
either the superformance sst or gmx have worked well in a friends rifle

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I would buy Federal Premium w/Partition in your shoes, and not stress ammo. But that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting to say, I hope you and your son have the hunt of a lifetime, and thank you, sir.

+1 Good luck on your hunt and thank you for your service!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

My daughter drew a once in a lifetime elk license when she was 16. The time frame was too short for me to work up a load in my wife's 18" Model Seven, so I bought a couple of boxes of the Federal Premium 140gr Nosler Partition. She punched three rounds completely through her elk at 180 yards. It never moved from the spot.

I'd happily hunt the biggest black bear in the country with the same load.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'd agree with MichiganScott,although I don't own a 7mm-08, there are a bunch of guys who I hunt with and they all shoot the Federal Premium 140 grain Nosler Partitions. Good luck!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks gents, I'm really loooking forward to this. If I can put him on a bear, it will be his first big game animal. I feel confident I can find one in the same area I shot the one in my avatar last year. We'll see how it goes!

I'm a firm believer in Nosler partitions, My hand - loaded 180 gr. NP took my bear last year. One shot and he never moved.

I'm also a fan of Hornady's bullets. They have consistently given me the best accuracy in all my guns.

I plan to order dies and components for Timothy's rifle when I get back here after leave, so I can teach him to load for his own rifle when the tour is over.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
welcome home, about time you and that boy did some wood tromping, you've earned it Matt and thank you.

limited experience but was duly impressed with the performance of the Barnes factory loading on a 47" moose last year. 120 gr.tsx DRT

I've used partitions for years and the only flies upon them is all those durn bullet failures! Can't tell you how many times I've been cuttin on a dead critter and found what's left of a partition and thought "well you certainly ain't very photogenic now" (dang I can't find the rolls eyes icon)

I join JeffO's sentiments that you guys have a hunt of a lifetime

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks 2L2Q. I keep seeing glowing reports about Barnes' TSX line. I've got some coming for the 35 Whelen the fire is building for me. It will be my first experience with them. Judging by everyone else's reports though, I might be another convert.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1234, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.