NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Topic Options
#6401729 - 04/13/12 Rimfire Liner Accuracy
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I don't know if this is the best place to pose this question, but here goes.

Has anybody ever compared before/after accuracy with a common .22 rifle originally barreled and chambered in the short/long/long rifle configuration, and then relined with a dedicated .22 LR liner?

In theory I would think that a barrel set up for just the .22 LR would be more accurate than a compromise twist, but I wonder how that would actually play out.

Paul

RV 728 BP
#6402061 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
Nessmuk Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Upstate N.Y. (not the city, th...
I've done plenty of liners. They are accurate. You end up with a better fitting chamber than on an older rifle. The new crown helps a lot too.

I almost lost my wife the other day... but she found her way out.

#6402140 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Nessmuk]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

All of that makes sense, as "restoring" is the basic reason .22 rifles get relined.

But, condition being equal, does the dedicated LR twist, etc., improve accuracy?

There has to be a reason that common sporting .22s used to have a barrel and chamber for S,L,LR, while the higher grades and target rifles were for LR only.

Perhaps my question can't be answered definitively, but I thought I'd ask.

Paul

#6402196 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
Nessmuk Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Upstate N.Y. (not the city, th...
I'd use an Anshutz for a basis. What ever twist is in those is the best for LR ammo.

I almost lost my wife the other day... but she found her way out.

#6402336 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Nessmuk]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

1:16 seems to be standard for .22 LR barrels. I'd surmise that would be what Anschutz uses.

Of course there is more to accuracy than just the twist. I have a shooting buddy who has a short lined .22 with a Lilja liner about 16" long, with the rest of the barrel "freebored" with the rest of the 5/16" hole for the liner. He is a very serious target shooter, and he swears it is the most accurate rifle he has owned, bar none. Of course, he is sold on the concept.

I'm tempted to try it, but it would be an expensive boondoggle if it didn't produce a notable improvement in accuracy. I'd go with a common Redman liner. A Lilja isn't on my menu.

Paul

#6402507 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
bea175 Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Kpt.,TN , Montgomery, Co, VA
If your rifle is bad enough to require a barrel liner , then the liner would almost all ways show a improvement in accuracy .

#6402636 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: bea175]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted By: bea175
If your rifle is bad enough to require a barrel liner , then the liner would almost all ways show a improvement in accuracy .

True enough, but that wasn't the context of my question, which was more theoretical than the typical relining scenario to deal with a bad bore.

For example, NRA smallbore lever silhouette rules allow a relined original barrel, but not replacement. A shooter wanting to set up for optimal accuracy might try such a reline, even if the original S,L,LR barrel were in decent condition.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

#6402814 - 04/13/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
hawkins Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Hawkins, Suburbs
If you shoot shorts get the twist for shorts (See Brownwlls).
I have had several rifles relined, the thing to watch is
if the end of the chamber is clean (no ridge). Other than
that they shoot fine. Avoid Numrich liners POS.

#6413091 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: hawkins]
rainierrifleco Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Gig Harbor WA/SE Neb
they always shoot better as the reason for relining is due to pitted bores. i did an old martini target rifle and it shot better than origonal. its bore was pretty good to start with. i have also done some 17 liners in bolt action 22 and they shoot great. one in paticular shot 1/2 in at 100 yds out of a ruger 77-22

#6413095 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: rainierrifleco]
rainierrifleco Offline
Campfire Guide

i always use Redman for liners

#6413330 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
bea175 Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Kpt.,TN , Montgomery, Co, VA
Originally Posted By: Paul39
Originally Posted By: bea175

True enough, but that wasn't the context of my question, which was more theoretical than the typical relining scenario to deal with a bad bore.

For example, NRA smallbore lever silhouette rules allow a relined original barrel, but not replacement. A shooter wanting to set up for optimal accuracy might try such a reline, even if the original S,L,LR barrel were in decent condition.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

I would bet the accuracy would be determined on how precisely you drill the hole and installed the liner

#6413721 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: hawkins]
rainierrifleco Offline
Campfire Guide

they always shoot better as the reason for relining is due to pitted bores. i did an old martini target rifle and it shot better than origonal. its bore was pretty good to start with. i have also done some 17 liners in bolt action 22 and they shoot great. one in paticular shot 1/2 in at 100 yds out of a ruger 77-22

#6414127 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: rainierrifleco]
hawkins Offline
Campfire Regular

Brownells sells Redman liners and they are nicer to deal with.

#6414465 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: hawkins]
gnoahhh Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Annapolis, Md.
I had a large Martini (.577-.450) that had been converted to .22LR by lining the bore, for a Miniature Rifle Society in England. The liner was one of the Parker liners judging from the stamp on the crown. My god how that thing shot! I swapped it away due to the fact that even though it shot scary accurately, it bulged cases badly, and ruptured more than a few.

#6414629 - 04/17/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: gnoahhh]
Mesa Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: OC, CA
I doubt if the OP will get an answer. Most relines are done on guns that have worn out or neglected bores and are done to preserve a fine old gun's exterior appearance and save a boatload of money.

The kind of experiment he's describing would only be done by a lab trying to verify the value of a given make of liner, or by the very nuttiest of rifle loonies. And a big spender-- a very rare combination in my experience--I'm quite looney enough but 'way too cheap! When curiosity has this high a price, I wait for somebody else to pay.....

#6436472 - 04/24/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
ruger438 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: PA

Has anybody ever compared before/after accuracy with a common .22 rifle originally barreled and chambered in the short/long/long rifle configuration, and then relined with a dedicated .22 LR liner?

In theory I would think that a barrel set up for just the .22 LR would be more accurate than a compromise twist, but I wonder how that would actually play out.

Paul

Not sure the difference between a S/L/LR chamber and a "dedicated" LR chamber.

To my mind re-lining would allow you to use a "match" reamer to chamber, and headspaced correctly. THAT could certainly make a difference- or not, depending on the rifles current configuration.

#6437385 - 04/24/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: ruger438]
DonMarkey Online   content

Loc: SE Michigan
It is the twist rate not the chamber.
Don

Edited by DonMarkey (04/24/12)

#6441079 - 04/25/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: DonMarkey]
hawkins Offline
Campfire Regular

Actually the chamber has a great deal to do with accuracy.

#6454055 - 04/29/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: hawkins]
rainierrifleco Offline
Campfire Guide

knowing how barrels are made. there are way to many varables to debate. the old pr 1950s barrels were cut rifled and shot really good there are target quality barrels and so called target barrels. just because its a bull barrel doesnt make it shoot that much better. unless you spring for a genuine target barrel like a benchmark or such you problly wont tell the dif from lined barrel.

#6454478 - 04/29/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: Paul39]
crossfireoops Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Southeastern AZ

Paul

Phew !

Sure a lotta' GAS got blown around on this one.

Paul, you're looking for a good hammer forged .375" O.D. liner outta' Kentucky,....

Mike Sayers
TJ's Gateway Enterprises
3652Neltner road
Alexandria Kentucky 41001
(8590)635-5560

I've had GREAT results with his .215' "tight bore" (groove is still standard .221-.222),.....16 pitch, with my Kiff Piloted reamer.

STANDARD VELOCITY ammo being the steady diet, i'm not sure deeper grooves play all that well with the HV stuff..

if you talk to Mike, say hi, if he's going to do another run of .215s, I'd like to put my name on another.

regards,

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

#6461146 - 05/01/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: crossfireoops]
fishdog52 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Finger Lakes NY
I had a Win 1890 relined by Redmond, was not a very successful experiment as it did not restore much in the way of accuracy. Further, was probably not a wise project on my part.

#6461862 - 05/01/12 Re: Rimfire Liner Accuracy [Re: fishdog52]
hawkins Offline
Campfire Regular

As i said before the chamber is most important. The bullwt
should have a short jump and there should not be a ridge
left in the throat from the reamer.

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
657 registered (163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1flier, 1Longbow, 88 invisible), 1284 Guests and 352 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,256 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,167 Topics
9,925,126 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.