Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it again.

Life is easy, people make it hard.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
that idea is dumber than a screen door
on a submarine.

Can't never did a damn thing

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T LEE
[Linked Image]

You just wrote Obama Epitaph

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When a man speaks and theyre is no women around to correct him

is he still wrong ?

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd like to buy him/her for what they are worth and sell them for what they think they are worth.

There is the easy way and the right way.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
On Sex: When it's good it's really good, and when it's bad, it's still pretty good

Last edited by amax155; 04/13/12.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
�A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition�
― Rudyard Kipling

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
from a salty ole'drpression era farmer/banker in E.Kansas
I started my bank with this one rule,
"Never loan money to a man with the seat of his pants wore out".

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Robert A. Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazusarus Long

Brilliant. I never knew the attribution on that one. Thanks. Always loved RAH. Read Stranger in a Strange Land when I was 7 or so. Weird kid.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail fin. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you see a bomb technician running, follow him

Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo

GET LOWER TO THE GROUND! Make it look like you [bleep] love the ground! - USMC SSgt Shackleford

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Does your mother know you do this?

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/14/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain." Winston Churchill

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"...Montana seems to
me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing
Texans.� John Steinbeck

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail fin. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
We're gonna need a bigger boat!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it is what it is....

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What do you do to rest, when you get tired of doing nothing?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A not neat knot need not be knotted.
Wisdom of a rock climber on knot strength and utility.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
"To goodness and mercy we make only promises: Pain we obey."

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (benchman, boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, 7 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.