Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Looking for a lightweight backpacking tarp, maybe something in the 8x10- 10x12 range. Not for sleeping under, Just need a little something to get out of the elements during the day and also something to put gear under. Hanging out in Rainger for days on end kind of sucks and the vestibules on our tent just ain't big enough for our gear to make it comfortable.

Any ideas or previous threads discussing this, what do yal do??

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Integral Designs Siltarp II or III, I prefer the latter, even at a few ozs. greater weight. Simple, effective and very well sewn.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Most any rectangular silnylon tarp will do as there lots of different ways to pitch them depending on your circumstance. I definitely wouldn't be oz. wise and lb. foolish when it comes to squarefootage. You'll incur a negligible amount of weight from the larger tarp and there will no doubt be wind driven rain/sleet/snow episodes that you'll thank yourself for choosing the larger tarp. There is no dearth of quality manufacturers.

Alternatively, you could go with a shaped tarp like a Kifaru Supertarp or the like (again, lots of options) and have both a lightweight "tarp" that has the attributes of a more structured and weather resistant shelter.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Check out the tarps at Campmor for basic tarps - http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear...ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=nylon+tarp . You just have to decide what trade offs you're willing to make... Silnylon is half the weight, but almost twice as expensive than polyurethane coated nylon. Silnylon rip resistance is higher than PU coated nylon, but PU nylon is more waterproof in heavy or hard rain. Basic rectangular tarps take a little more creativity to get a taught pitch on sometimes than fancier tarps with catenary cuts, but enough guy line and things to tie it to usually equalize the difference. If you're into lightweight go silnylon and get some Amsteel or Tech Line from these guys - http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/isle.cgi?type=all .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have been running one of these Hillebergs for a few years now and like it.

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/tarp/tarp.php

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Some good info here, yal are good help as always! Thanks fellas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out Seek Outsides breakaway tarp. 15oz and can be pitched into a closed ended shelter if needed. Awesome tarp!

Also some great selections from Mountain Laurel Designs and Gossamer Gear as well.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or, look into a Seekoutside 8 man. Then you can have 3 guys and all your gear inside with a woodstove.

Just think of it, you could all sing coombayah and pass around the whiskey

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
If you're still looking, these are nice.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/11%20x%2010%20Cat%20Tarp.htm

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I buy poly-tarp tents, in various sizes, from the local hardware store in Soldotna. Brown on one side, green on the other. And cheap, cheap, cheap! Like (I'm guestimating here) - $8 for a 10X12, which generally last me for several years. That is about the minimal size for a 2 person camp, with a smaller (or folded) one for a ground sheet. I've one camo 10 X20 tarp that makes a wonderfully spacious set up nearly invisible from the air if set up properly.

I have at times used a larger poly-tarp set up in a more-or-less square "U" shape, the bottom portion being ground sheet, the verticle being wind-brak, the top for rain protection.

If bugs or cold weather ( a tent can add 10 degrees or more to your comfort-rating while sleeping) isn't an issue, tarp camping is pretty much all I do- I like the air, the getting up-light, and, ....the visibility - (bears)in the night.

Not that I'm paranoid - my hunting parner is paranoid about bears, so I get to sleep right thru the night... He wakens at the slightest sound.... smile

An added bonus is that a wind or self shaken/folded polytarp acts as a moose antler "brush-rake". If you have never had a bull moose violently rake brush 15 feet from your sleeping bag in the middle of a dark, dark night, you have never experienced.....something or other. smile

I've used up to 5 tarp camps in a square mile of my moose hunting area so I could just move my sleeping and camping gear from place to place with no inconvenience/wet ground under/ silently.

Dunno anything about the expensive fancy custom tarps - I've never seen the need for one. Maybe I would if someone would send me one to try.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used the Integral Designs Sil Dome 2-man tarp on a backpacking trip and on a deer hunt last year. It is a bit pricy but, I got a decent deal. With a ground tarp, it very close to a tent. It easily stood up to 30+ mph winds on the backpack trip and can be pitched close to the group and still have good ventilation. Note, you do have to seal the seams yourself but it was easily done in about 15 minutes.

http://www.moontrail.com/integral-designs-sil-dome.php

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever try one of the Kelty Noahs Tarps?
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28029

May be a little too heavy for backpacking though.

Last edited by snubbie; 04/15/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by snubbie
Anyone ever try one of the Kelty Noahs Tarps?
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28029

May be a little too heavy for backpacking though.

I have a couple, sell one to you if you want it. smile

If you have your own sewing machine you can make your own sil-nylon tarp.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm looking for a 10'x10' silnylon that is not in an abnoxious color myself. You can find 8'x10' and 10'x12' but not the 10'x10' silnylon - at least I have not. A 10'x10' silnylon tarp should come in at about exactly 1 lb.

The 10'x10' is a great size for lightness but still giving a lot of roominess. I have a single-external-pole set up that I came up with which I use to set up what is essentially a "forester tent configuration" but can also have a low or very high peaked awning. The foot print is an equilateral triangle and the thing is suspended from the center of the tarp. One can peg down half or the full extra piece which forms the awning and end up with a super tight pyramid. If you set the footprint up asymmetrically, you can get it nice and low for battling the wind.

I did a somewhat impromptu overnight backpack hunt this weekend using the setup with a 2 lb, coated nylon tarp from the Bushcraft USA store. Here go the pics:

Open
[Linked Image]

High peaked awning
[Linked Image]

Low peak awning
[Linked Image]

The guy taking the pics. grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 04/16/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
alukban
very creative pitch. looks like alot of covered area and not much weight.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks budman5 smile

If I could find a 10'x10' silnylon tarp for about ~1 lb. in a coyote brown, dark brown, OD green or camo then I'd be all set. You can do similar things with an 8'x10' and get 20% weigth savings but the loss in roominess feels humungous in comparison.

I can also set that same 10'x10' tarp up as a hammock WITH canopy BTW. Makes you think why folks even get the fancy and expensive stuff, eh?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by alukban

If I could find a 10'x10' silnylon tarp for about ~1 lb. in a coyote brown, dark brown, OD green or camo then I'd be all set. You can do similar things with an 8'x10' and get 20% weigth savings but the loss in roominess feels humungous in comparison.

I can also set that same 10'x10' tarp up as a hammock WITH canopy BTW. Makes you think why folks even get the fancy and expensive stuff, eh?

Clicky clicky on my link posted a couple replies back....

Last edited by ken999; 04/17/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.