Hop To
#6407750 04/14/12
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello All,

I'm going to start my son out fishing. I have both spinning and spincasting (push button) set ups.

We are mainly going to start out fishing a trout pond that is stocked.

He is only two right now but just want him to get visually and mechanically used to the proper set up.

Later on we will have our choice of 4 other lakes to fish for bass, pike and walleye.

I'm pretty green on lake fishing but I have a buddy that pretty much knows his stuff. He doesn't have any kids and I'm looking to get info from someone that does.

Thanks

Tom

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a spinning outfit, but for a youngster (and what my daughter started with), a spincaster is easier to use.

The time spent fishing (or hunting) with your young ones is very special. I really enjoy my daughter's company when she goes with me fishing, though at 19 and in college now, she is not able to as much. I can remember with a great fondness the time spent with my own father while growing up. He was an avid hunter and fisherman, and instilled in me the love for chasing trophy catfish. Those all-nighters spent on the river were some of the best times of my young life.

I'd say that at two, your biggest worries will be catching fish regularly enough to keep his attention, and fish near an area conducive to taking a nap (grin).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer a spinning outfit, but for a youngster (and what my daughter started with), a spincaster is easier to use.
And I'd agree with this 100%

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
So that is two votes for spin caster.

Here is my concern. I find the spin casters to be very confusing. I'm right handed and I like casting with my right hand and reeling with my left. Is there any argument to the kid will be confused when switching back to a spinning reel?

I think I might like spin caster if they made them to be cast with the right hand and reeled with the left.

Thanks

Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do yourself a favor and mash the barbs or go barbless

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
maybe have a look at a diawa underspin.

I've used them as an intermediate step between snoopy rods and spinning reels for the kids.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Do yourself a favor and mash the barbs or go barbless

Dober

Good suggestion.

I do that anytime I'm not keeping fish. I've not really noticed an increase in lost fish, the hook is easier to remove, and the fish suffers less stress and damage to it's mouth.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the suggestion on the barb. I will definitely do that.

I went to the store last night and checked out the spincaster rods and noticed that the new units do allow you to switch the handle to the other side. makes a lot more sense to cast with your writing hand.

I'm probably going to end up picking one up for a few bucks. I'll see what I can do at garage sales in the meantime.

Tom

Last edited by statjunk; 04/18/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,688
Posts18,513,554
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.