Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 30 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 29 30
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
yeah growing up as a military dependent, I can attest to that...

ain't easy on the kids either...

I can attest to that one also...

+1

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
God bless you for your service to our country, Matt! And God bless your wife for her service to our country as well! Thank you.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks guys, fortunately my family won't have to endure any more separations after this one. I have decided to get out of the active component of the army, and my contract ends in March of next year. I have a friend who retired from an active guard unit on the same post I am assigned to in Alaska, and he feels I have a good chance of getting in there. It is a non-deployable unit, so I would be able to stay home. It's time my children had their father back. If I can't get into that unit, I will use my GI bill and pursue a carreer in aviation. cool

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mallard

Just logged on to this thread, PM me address and I'll donate 100$ forward purchase of the gun safe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
60n148,

I appreciate the offer sir but the rifle I am delivering is a done deal and will be done tomorrow.

The newest gun deal is a Sig 552 for AlaskaMatt's son am there is another rifle going to another young man a few pages back.

Sure your donation will be best going to one of them sir.

I'm sure one of the young men can use it, the kids from my rifle deal are well taken care of.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the vote of confidence in being willing to share your plans for yourself and your family with us on the 'fire. I'm sure your unit will feel the loss of a fine NCO, but your family has to come first, and you've already been very generous! smile I hope you'll be able to get into that non-deployable unit, but the GI Bill (which I'm using as we speak) is a wonderful benefit and you should definitely take advantage of it no matter what you decide to do!

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As promised here is the story and pictures of the Campfire gang making 3 boys very very happy:

I was able to deliver the rifle and gear to the boys yesterday. It was a windy day with temps in the mid 60's but it was sunny out so i decided to meet them up on a ridge by their home that has an impromptu range. This impromptu range is about 5 miles from one of the elk winter feeding areas so I had there mom load them up under the false pretense of going to see if any elk were still lingering around. They had zero idea that I was waiting between them and the feeding station.

Snapped a quick picture of the pile before the boys got there for the hand off and before I hid the rifle:

[Linked Image]

I first told the boys I had some friends who wanted them to have some things. I gave the boys their new backpacks and let them play with their gear.

[Linked Image]

Then I hauled out the box with all the reloading and cleaning gear and explained it was all to be shared. At this point the boys had 100 questions about why so many people could be so generous towards them, all I could do was smile and say good things happen to good kids.

Things couldn't have went better for after about another 5 minutes Coy asked me if I had a lead on a new deer gun he could buy. I told him I had a damn good idea and pulled the skb hard case out of my back seat. I handed it to him and told him to let me know what he thought of this one.

[Linked Image]

He said it was beautiful but that he probably couldn't afford it. I told him the price was set in stone and I couldn't get it for him any cheaper then free. He was beside himself and I think I saw tears well up in his eyes. I had to reaffirm to him several times that it was indeed being given to him by one hell of a generous man.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a very touching moment but I'm not much for waiting so i broke it up by asking him why he wasnt shooting it yet. He was in love +P from the first popped primer.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z254/MallardAddict/photo-12.jpg[/img]

All of the boys were beyond speechless that what started as one mans donating a rifle to one of them grew into something so large and so great. It made my day to see the huge smiles on their faces. To say I felt a lot of happiness and pride would not being this whole deal justice in the least.

Their notes of thanks are in their own words and listed below all I did was add their ages:

To Matt�s friends who had given the Downs boys gifts,������������������� April 16, 2012

Thank you for the gifts that I have received. I loved the binoculars that I had received. The backpack was great. The Leatherman�s tool was awesome. I am pretty sure that the first-aid kit, emergency whistle, and the emergency blanket will be useful, though I hope that I don�t have to use them. The skinning knife and flashlight will really come in handy. The sling will put to good use. And I can�t thank the person who had given me the .308 lever action enough. I promise to keep all of these items in their top condition. There is not much else I can say, so I hope you all can understand how thankful I really am. I truly can�t put it into words. The best that I can do is thank you all very, very much.

Sincerely,
Coy Downs (oldest 15 y/o)

Dear Matt�s friends,

Thank you very much for the supplies. I hope to use most of the things
(not the first aid kit). I will use the items with care. Once again
thank you.

Sincerely

Seth (middle boy 12y/o)

DEAR MATT��S FRIENDS,

I AM VERY GRATEFUL FOR THE ASWOME GIFTS.THEY ARE REALY COOL. THE LEATHERMENSTOOL IS EVEN BETER THAN MY LAST ONE. THE KNIFE WAS REALY NEAT.THANK YOU FOR THE AWSOME GIFTS.

����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� SINCERELY, WYATT (youngest 9y/o)

**** my apologies for the flipped pics, photobucket won't let me rotate them via I phone****

Last edited by MallardAddict; 04/17/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Awesome story, thanks for posting that! I can't wait to see the pics. Now to take care of these allergies that have unexpectedly sprang up.....

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No chit Matt, I kept blaming the wind and dust yesterday. I don't think my words or pictures can do the moment justice and am kicking my own ass that I didn't lug the video camera and shoot video for you all.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Awesome story, thanks for posting that! I can't wait to see the pics. Now to take care of these allergies that have unexpectedly sprang up.....

Must be going around...

Great work Gents!

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to see this got in the hands of some good kids who seem to truly appreciate it. Good job on this one gentlemen!!! Thanks to you all for helping me make this happen!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is wonderful when things come togather for a good reason.
Again thanks to all. It is a great tradition.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's fantastic, Mallard! And the pics really help to bring it home--Paul, what a great thing you and all the guys have done for those boys! Just awesome!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay gents, now that everything has wrapped up so great for Coy, Seth, and Wyatt via Mallard (kudos again to Paul and all who gave!), I just thought I'd give an update on things as regards James (aka, Case #2).

I have some vacation starting on June 11th and I�ll be spending much of it with James. We�ll be going out to the range to see what he feels comfortable shooting--other than playing around with a .22, we�ll try a .308 (including with some 125 gr bullets or reduced loads just to approximate a 7mm-08), a .270 Win, and a .30-06. Then I�ll take him to a couple of stores to see what make/model he seems to like (within reason! smile) FYI, I�m not making it clear that he�s getting a rifle or other hunting equipment. I�ll just present it as �uncle � nephew� time�I know I won�t have to tell him he�s actually going to be receiving a rifle for him to want to go to gun stores and go shooting with me, that�s for sure! grin

Also, here is the status of the equipment for James: A couple people have asked about giving something, and so I figure it will help to recap so that if someone still wants to provide something they know what would help. FYI, I have put "RECEIVED" for those things that I have already gotten from the donor.

HUNTING GEAR:

Rifle-Accounted for by AlaskanMatt (model & caliber TBD in June)
Scope- accounted for by JG Raider (Simmons Whitetail 2.5-6x36, 1� tube)
Bases-offer on the table, but TBD, based on rifle
Rings- (probably makes sense to be provided with the bases)
Scope cover-
Sling-
Rifle case- Accounted for by Bulletbutt -RECEIVED
A box or two of ammo (TBD, based on above)
Hunting knife(Ingram)-accounted for by Toad-RECEIVED
Blaze orange hunting hat and/or vest-
Gloves & shirt- Accounted for by AckleyFan �RECEIVED
Spotting scope & tripod-Accounted for by Nsaqam
Binoculars-
Day pack (w/ emergency equipment, etc.)-Accounted for by gophergunner

RELOADING EQUIPMENT:

Dies/brass/etc TBD based on what the rifle is chambered in (If .280 Rem, 458 Lott has it)
Lee Challenger press-Accounted for by Nsaqam
RCBS Uniflow powder measure-Nsaqam
6" caliper-458 Lott
Case trimming tool-458 Lott
Case mouth deburring tool-458 Lott
Lee Scale- Accounted for by Smithrjd -RECEIVED
Pocket primer brush-Smithrjd -RECEIVED
RCBS case lube pad- Smithrjd -RECEIVED
Funnel-
Other items?

NOTE: Nsaqam is coordinating the reloading donations

Again, anything else I�m forgetting? Other things that you have that you think might help? Also, please correct me if there�s anything left out or misstated, especially regarding the reloading equipment�my sister Jessica is the one who told me about (or rather described) the things that had arrived, and she is pretty clueless about these things laugh

Anyway, also feel free to PM me if you have ideas/questions/comments...

Last edited by dclayton; 04/19/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's neat,..thanks for doing this and thanks to all of those who donated.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just to let you all know that I received the day pack from gophergunner loaded with a lot of great stuff--here is the list:

-Guide series camo backback
-Complete hydration bladder system for the pack
-Blaze orange knit stocking cap
-A nice two-knife Winchester set including a lock blade and a swiss army style knife.
-Small flashlight with batteries.
-Waterproof matches
-Waterproof match case
-Lensatic compass
-Emergency blanket
-Blaze orange vest
-Roll of trail marker tape.
-Pair of amber colored shooter's glasses.
-Length of nylon rope to use as a drag rope or ???
-About 15 ft. of para cord.
-Shoulder length gutting gloves.
-Set of disposable chemical hand warmers.
-One sight-in target with 1" grids.

EDIT-I can't edit the old post, so here is the list for James as it now stands:

HUNTING GEAR:

Rifle-Accounted for by AlaskanMatt (model & caliber TBD in June)
Scope- accounted for by JG Raider (Simmons Whitetail 2.5-6x36, 1� tube)
Bases-offer on the table, but TBD, based on rifle
Rings- (probably makes sense to be provided with the bases)
Scope cover-
Sling-
Rifle case- Accounted for by Bulletbutt -RECEIVED
A box or two of ammo (TBD, based on above)
Hunting knife(Ingram)-accounted for by Toad-RECEIVED
Blaze orange hunting hat and/or vest-accounted for by gophergunner-RECEIVED
Gloves & shirt- Accounted for by AckleyFan �RECEIVED
Spotting scope & tripod-Accounted for by Nsaqam
Binoculars-
Day pack (w/ emergency equipment, etc.)-Accounted for by gophergunner-RECEIVED

RELOADING EQUIPMENT:

Dies/brass/etc TBD based on what the rifle is chambered in (If .280 Rem, 458 Lott has it)
Lee Challenger press-Accounted for by Nsaqam
RCBS Uniflow powder measure-Nsaqam
6" caliper-Accounted for by 458 Lott
Case trimming tool-Accounted for by 458 Lott
Case mouth deburring tool-Accounted for by 458 Lott
Lee Scale- Accounted for by Smithrjd -RECEIVED
Pocket primer brush-Smithrjd -RECEIVED
RCBS case lube pad- Smithrjd -RECEIVED
Funnel-
Other items?

NOTE: Nsaqam is coordinating the reloading donations.

If you have other suggestions, just let me know...

Last edited by dclayton; 04/27/12.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Awesome! He's going to be very well outfitted, I can't wait to get the rifle and see all the pics.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Up for the Hunting Rifles Forum is Project 24/7. This rifle has been through a few variations inspired by 24hourcampfire and today FOsteology and I decided to make it available to a deserving youth. I'd like this to be called Project 24/7 until a recipient is identified.

It's a 1979 Remington 700 BDL Custom Deluxe 7mm Remington Express with 22" barrel. Seems a good cartridge for a growing shooter as it can be loaded down or punched 280AI. It's wearing a 1993 700 BDL SS takeoff stock that is stiffer than an SPS, its functionally bedded and free-floated. The rifle's color scheme is not complete, it was inspired by one of FOs' rifles he had posted awhile back. Basically going for a black barreled action with brown stock with silver bolt handle and trigger. I painted the stock with some texture and then Krylon Fusion and clear coats. I'll cover the bolt shroud and triggerguard/floorplate flat black to match the barrel to complete the look and just leave the receiver polished blue unless there is a consensus that something else is needed, like professional coating shocked ! The rifle has put out several sub .6" 3-shot groups when I was using Federal brass and usually hangs 3/4-1" with 139gr Hornady BTSP loads. Comes with 50 2x fired Nosler cases. Rifle is good to go as is, the trigger is light and crisp, however, it has some creep that I can't adjust out.

Anyways, there it is. Ready to ship Priority mail when the time is appropriate.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by oregontripper; 04/27/12. Reason: spellchecked

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely fantastic. You're going to make some lucky kid extremely happy!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I had no idea the depth of generosity in this thread,or that it was even going on......

You people are making me proud....

Page 22 of 30 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,065
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.