Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
mtrancher,

Thanks for the information. I'll look up those writers and books, and I'll be sure to include yours.

μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Well, it's not close in the sense that the stories take place in the current west, but I thoroughly enjoyed the "Walt Longmire" series by Craig Johnson. They are a cross between a detective novel and a western. The author lives in MT or WY - forget which.

Anyway, an interesting change of pace if you're interested.
Here's the link to Amazon.

www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Craig+Johnson&x=14&y=17

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Elmer Kelton should probably be in the conversation, too, for realistic, readable fiction of the southwest.

Last edited by mtrancher; 12/29/11.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not westerns but Stephen Hunter is good. The movie Shooter is based on his book Point of Impact. There's a whole series of books about Bob Lee.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Will Henry/Clay Fisher (real name Henry Wilson Allen). I like his writing style.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
another vote for william johnstone, they are great westerns.

Lee Childs Jack Reacher novels are also very good but aren't westerns.

What a great thread! Thanks to all of you for the great recommendations. I finally got around to reading Jack London's "Call of the Wild," after all these years. Sometimes it seems life is just too short.

Author, "Where's the One About the Bobcat?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Not westerns but Stephen Hunter is good. The movie Shooter is based on his book Point of Impact. There's a whole series of books about Bob Lee.

Au contraire! There is one recent Stephen Hunter Bob Lee Swagger novel that is quite Western. Guess which.

Apart from that, he is by far the best and most knowledgeable writer about guns and the gun family ever. He are one. <g> He even writes for the American Rifleman from time to time.

Aside from westerns, take a look at the sailing ship books of Dewey Lambkin. They are great.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple great books about ships are from Farley Mowat: "The Grey Seas Under" and "The Serpents Coil".

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to second Larry in Colorado for Will Henry/Clay Fisher.

Specifically Yellowstone Kelly, MacKenna's Gold, and Chiricahua. But I've never read one I didn't like.

If you can find it, Jory by Milton R. Bass. An all time favorite is "The Cowboy and the Cossack" by Clair Huffaker. Also hard to find but a great story about a cattle drive in the late 1800's in Russia.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"An all time favorite is "The Cowboy and the Cossack" by Clair Huffaker. Also hard to find but a great story about a cattle drive in the late 1800's in Russia."

I've read that a dozen times and have a copy on the shelf. A great book.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.