Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Eremicus,

New and better bullet designs, new powders, the passing of the Magnum craze...a number of factors have contributed to the renaissance of some fine cartridges that were good in their own right and are even better today.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
My dad can beat up your dad......

Aw, geeez.

My dad doesn't need to beat up your dad...cuz I can beat up you AND your dad, and hell, we might as well make a package deal out of it, so I'll beat up your dang dog, too!

(Dear Lord, I tried to play nice, but... smile )

yep... you could... I'm a puzzy.... that's why I shoot stuff. But, you'll have a tough time with the dog.... since there ain't one.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Back on track.... I think E has it right to some degree. But with the plethora of rifles available now... you can find the platform your looking for in just about any caliber. Which means... we have the luxury of picking the bullet we want to shoot... and matching it to an available platform (or building one).... rather than being stuffed into a rifle because we like the caliber or visa versa.

At the end of the day.... I just can't see anybody building/buying a .25-06 for anything other than nostalgic reasons.... and I've owned more .25-06s than any other single caliber. Also, I'm not advocating the liquidation of all .25's to fund .243 projects (though that's the route I went).... if you've already got one or the other... then dance with who brung ya'. If you don't.... then there ain't any argument worth hearing that puts the .25-06 in front of the .243.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DELGUE
My dad can beat up your dad......

Aw, geeez.

My dad doesn't need to beat up your dad...cuz I can beat up you AND your dad, and hell, we might as well make a package deal out of it, so I'll beat up your dang dog, too!

(Dear Lord, I tried to play nice, but... smile )

yep... you could... I'm a puzzy.... that's why I shoot stuff. But, you'll have a tough time with the dog.... since there ain't one.

No worries! I'll adapt, improvise, and overcome. Your cat, then, or your pet frog, or mebbe even an errant mosquito. Or, mebbe we could just grab a couple beers and a pizza... grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bet we could kill a few beers and a pizza or two...

My daughter has a couple of Guinea Pigs here at the house you could beat-up on... as long as I can record it for coyote calling purposes.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Back on track.... I think E has it right to some degree. But with the plethora of rifles available now... you can find the platform your looking for in just about any caliber. Which means... we have the luxury of picking the bullet we want to shoot... and matching it to an available platform (or building one).... rather than being stuffed into a rifle because we like the caliber or visa versa.

At the end of the day.... I just can't see anybody building/buying a .25-06 for anything other than nostalgic reasons.... and I've owned more .25-06s than any other single caliber. Also, I'm not advocating the liquidation of all .25's to fund .243 projects (though that's the route I went).... if you've already got one or the other... then dance with who brung ya'. If you don't.... then there ain't any argument worth hearing that puts the .25-06 in front of the .243.

I've had a 6mm Remington since I was a teenager, and still have it, along with the aforementioned .25-06. I'm inclinded to think that the option to throw out heavier bullets in the .25-06 might prove valuable to some people in some circumstances. Simply my opinion. And I will state for the record that I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, some time, some where, about some thing.
One observation, though..Hornady doesn't make an A-max for the 270, either, but I haven't noticed a rush to dump 270's or the denunciation of them as useless or obsolete.

Frankly, I think we should take up a collection and get Ingwe a 270...
And after that, we'll do it all over again and get Podunk a 7x57.

Last edited by DELGUE; 04/16/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think the .257 Roberts is a good example of that. E

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bet we could kill a few beers and a pizza or two...

My daughter has a couple of Guinea Pigs here at the house you could beat-up on... as long as I can record it for coyote calling purposes.

Your daughter need fear not...guinea pigs kick my ass every time. frown

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I think the .257 Roberts is a good example of that. E

Agreed. As is the 250 Savage, to a degree. Riflemakers chambering in some of the older calibers has certainly contributed, Ruger coming to mind.

Last edited by DELGUE; 04/16/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
243 is more pleasant to shoot, but performance on deer for me was less than stellar but this was 10 years back so things may have changed it left me not impressed so I opted for the 25.06. No problems with it!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
And that's what's good about it. Different people have different preferences based on bullet performance or cartridge performance or nostalgia or sentimental reasons, and different standards regarding cartridge efficiency or what is acceptable terminal ballistics or whatever. And the only one you have to please is yourself. I have several .45-70's, and it just trips my trigger to use the same cartridge Custer used at Little Big Horn. Or throw 44 Mag bullets out of a lever action carbine, or use my 444, or one of my 17 Remingtons. Our pasts lead us to decisions and conclusions, decisions and conclusions which may have been perfectly valid in the past, but which may not hold true now, due to various developments and improvements.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't care if my rifle can kill a deer past 400 yards or not. Heck, I don't even care if I can kill one at 200. It's solid woods where I do my deer hunting and I haven't seen a deer past 125 yards or so in 20 years. That said, my .243 kills all the deer I shoot with it all the way dead. But then so do my .30-30 and .223. I've got no use or need for A-Max bullets and don't care whether they make them for any caliber rifle I own or not. I did kill one deer at well over 400 yards back in '92 when I still hunted farm land though. They didn't even make A-Max bullets back then, yet somehow I managed a one shot kill with a simlple, unsophisticated Sierra Gameking out of my .243. Who woulda thunk it ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
All this gun talk matters more to us than to the deer/elk/moose/sheep/goat/bear. They just tip over and go to sleep.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

You're sick. laugh laugh laugh

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dude.... that ain't sick... that's terminal coyote shootin' disease. Incurable I'm told.... which is fine by me!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Here is the quarter bore killer. Ugly, till you shoot it..
[Linked Image]
243ai-700 Action
1-8 PacNor, 3 groove, 24", MR
Rifle Basix Trigger
McM Edge MR Stock
DNZ Mounts
6x42 w/fine reticle (my favorite)

It shoots 105s very well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's almost exactly what I have in the works....

How quick you run those 105's in the AI?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
3140, in cooler temps. I think I have room to go up, but haven't ventured up any further.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Esox357
243 is more pleasant to shoot, but performance on deer for me was less than stellar but this was 10 years back so things may have changed it left me not impressed so I opted for the 25.06. No problems with it!

With an 85grn TSX, my .243 is perfect for most deer hunting applications. That said, it ain't even close to my 25-06AI.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
3140, in cooler temps. I think I have room to go up, but haven't ventured up any further.

I'd think you definitely have room to move up... I'm getting 3100 out of 105 AMs in a 24" SAAMI (46.5gr 7828). You're running Scenars though right?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.