Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by Calvin
the only chance Romney has, which is a good one, is that enough people will vote against Obama, that he'll win.

Romney couldn't beat even McCain four years ago. I recognize that sometimes candidates need to build their organization and don't have the needed campaign infrastructure in their first presidential campaign, but Romney wasn't a good candidate four years ago, and he isn't a good choice now. As someone else indicated, choosing between two liberals in the general election isn't going to get the conservative base excited.

The main reason Obama has any shot at winning in November isn't because of unions or voter fraud or any monolithic voter demographic, it is because the Republican candidate doesn't appeal to the conservative base. You have to get your base out to vote to win, and Romney isn't going to help in that.
Exactly right. The function served by an energized base is to spread that enthusiasm to the independents. Independents, not being particularly political themselves, look for enthusiasm from the base supporters of a candidate. Then that enthusiasm catches fire among them. That, and that alone, is how Republicans win the White House. Like someone said, the only chance of winning this time is due to the fact that Obama is such a clear and obvious enemy of everything America has ever stood for, and Romney (like McCain before him) is somewhat less so.

PS The main factor favoring Romney is that he will be a first termer, and as such will be hesitant to permit his leftist tendencies free expression due to his concerns over reelection, and that were Obama reelected, he'd feel no such restraint, since he's ineligible for reelection.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
You would not vote for McCain
Like many conservatives, I held my nose and did indeed vote for McCain, although it was a great struggle to do so.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Like many conservatives, I held my nose and did indeed vote for McCain, although it was a great struggle to do so.

I did the same for McCain and I will do it for Romney; however, I am a Paul supporter.

I think the most true part of that video was the part about how Romney might win the election, but Paul's influence will be felt much longer and stronger. My generation (20-30s) and future politicians will be schooled in Paul's principles.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by c86man3

I did the same for McCain and I will do it for Romney; however, I am a Paul supporter.

I think the most true part of that video was the part about how Romney might win the election, but Paul's influence will be felt much longer and stronger. My generation (20-30s) and future politicians will be schooled in Paul's principles.
+1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The low turnout for Romney rallies vs Ron Paul's has got to mean something, though.

April 12-15, 2012 PPP is a Democratic polling company
Survey of 742 Republican primary voters

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion
of Jeb Bush?
Favorable....................................................... 71%
Unfavorable .................................................... 13%
Not sure ....................................................... 16%

of Mike Huckabee?
Favorable....................................................... 69%
Unfavorable .................................................... 15%
Not sure ....................................................... 16%

of Mitt Romney?
Favorable....................................................... 65%
Unfavorable .................................................... 23%
Not sure ....................................................... 12%

of Sarah Palin?
Favorable....................................................... 65%
Unfavorable .................................................... 26%
Not sure ....................................................... 10%

of Rick Santorum?
Favorable....................................................... 63%
Unfavorable .................................................... 23%
Not sure ....................................................... 14%

of Chris Christie?
Favorable....................................................... 62%
Unfavorable .................................................... 12%
Not sure ........................................................ 26%

of Marco Rubio?
Favorable....................................................... 53%
Unfavorable .................................................... 10%
Not sure ....................................................... 37%

of Paul Ryan?
Favorable....................................................... 47%
Unfavorable .................................................... 11%
Not sure ....................................................... 42%

of Newt Gingrich?
Favorable....................................................... 47%
Unfavorable .................................................... 40%
Not sure ........................................................ 13%

of Ron Paul?
Favorable....................................................... 36%
Unfavorable .................................................... 49%
Not sure ....................................................... 15%

If the Republican candidates for President
were Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, and Mitt
Romney, who would you vote for?

Mitt Romney.................................................... 54%
Newt Gingrich ................................................. 24%
Ron Paul ................................................... 14%
Someone else/Not sure .......................................... 9%

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Agreed. Pathetic, isn't it? The fact that we are even considering the chance that the republicans may loose this election is amazing. Good jon GOP.

the GOP doesn't make the electorate. this is the same electorate that elected Bill Clinton twice and Obama. there are a lot of people walking around with a case of terminal stupid whose vote counts just as much as yours.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The establishment has been effective in blocking any coverage of the man. Few, in real numbers, even know who he is. Bravo for your team. You will get the sort of nation you deserve. Unfortunately, you and your ilk will drag the rest of us down with you.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Agreed. Pathetic, isn't it? The fact that we are even considering the chance that the republicans may loose this election is amazing. Good jon GOP.

the GOP doesn't make the electorate. this is the same electorate that elected Bill Clinton twice and Obama. there are a lot of people walking around with a case of terminal stupid whose vote counts just as much as yours.

In Chicago and such places, they may count (be counted) several times more than ours, and I'm even not talking about the "voting dead".

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While there is no doubt that the GOP Establishment is in the tank for Romney; they have been very ineffective in blocking coverage of any of the other candidates.

Ron Paul has had very thorough coverage in the race this time around.
Did the debates, the talk shows�

That is his problem. This time the voters got a good look at his message.

All the way back to his racist news letters, his snake-oil sales pitch to beware of the then new colored currency, and more importantly, his Neville Chamberlain brand of foreign affairs and his oversimplified soundbites to fix our financial mess.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The establishment has been effective in blocking any coverage of the man.

Ron Paul would probably sell better if his followers weren't such whiny paranoids. Googling Ron Paul produces 390,000,000 hits....he had tons of money from his disciples for paid media...he had his moment in the sun, but consistent single digit performances don't make a candidate the lead story for long.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
the only chance Romney has, which is a good one, is that enough people will vote against Obama, that he'll win.

That is why I will be voting for Romney. Simply because he is not as bad as Obama.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The establishment has been effective in blocking any coverage of the man.

Ron Paul would probably sell better if his followers weren't such whiny paranoids. Googling Ron Paul produces 390,000,000 hits....he had tons of money from his disciples for paid media...he had his moment in the sun, but consistent single digit performances don't make a candidate the lead story for long.
You confuse the internet with the MSM. No reasonable person who's taken a halfway serious look at it denies that there was a Ron Paul media blackout in the crucial early stages of the race.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What media blackout? Where? When? Links?
I only remember Paul being turned down from one smaller debate than didn�t take place�I think�

RCP voter tally 4/18:
Romney 4,595,908
Santorum 3,209,301
Gingrich 2,284,557
Paul 1,191,026

RNC bound delegate tally 4/18:
Romney 573
Santorum 272
Gingrich 146
Paul 26

My first choice came in third�so far�
Newt knew what he was up against and how the game is played�no excuses.
Paul has had more coverage than his numbers rate�no excuses.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
campaign rallies don't mean squat. ask Ron Paul...he gives great rally.

He has his whole family organizing them for him. They gotta perform if they want to keep those high paying nepotistic jobs.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Remember when you point the finger at the GOP there's three pointing back at you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Paul has had more coverage than his numbers rate�no excuses.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The interesting part of it all is,...everything that will occur, regardless of who gets elected, will serve to further reinforce Ron Paul's message,....and there's no such thing as a "former" Ron Paul supporter.

Once the scales fall from your eyes, there's no puttin' 'em back on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RP's message didn't sell. You can try to blame whomever you want, but he got his time on stage, he spent his ad money from the gullible flock, he got his media coverage....although like any conservative his MSM coverage had the tone of an anthropologist covering some tribe of cannibals in Borneo.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
RP's message didn't sell. You can try to blame whomever you want, but he got his time on stage, he spent his ad money from the gullible flock, he got his media coverage....although like any conservative his MSM coverage had the tone of an anthropologist covering some tribe of cannibals in Borneo.

You cannot count as Ron Paul coverage a talking head spending half an interview attempting to browbeat Ron Paul into stating which Republican candidate he will support once he drops out of the race.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 3,484 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,402
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.