Print Thread
Hop To
B
BIGR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Any of you guys familar with the Norma USA Professional Hunter Ammo. I have located some 7 MM Mag. 156 Grain Oryx ammo made by them for $26.27 a box. At that price is it worth a try for a whitetail deer round?

NEVER GIVE UP
GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not familiar with that ammo, but the Oryx bullets are VERY good.

They expand fairly quickly but because they are bonded bullets, they will not fragment no matter what big bones you hit with them.

I have recovered a bunch of them (in several calibers) from moose, and all the bullets looked like an advertisement.

Here is one of these bullets sectioned, then twisted to show how they hold together:

[Linked Image]

That 156gr Orxy bullet in 7mm Rem Mag will do an excellent job on whitetail deer, wild boar, or moose.

I am in Sweden so I can't comment on prices in the USA at all. You can certainly kill deer with cheaper bullets, but if you wanted a bullet for any big game, that is a really good one!

John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
$26/box (20?) for DEER BULLETS?????

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Norma makes good stuff.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent price for the Norma ammo. Norma is my ammo of choice as I don't reload.

Steve

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD

Unless I misunderstand, that was not for bullets but for loaded ammunition (and with a premium bonded bullet).

Since Midway shows mostly over $40 for 20 rounds of ammo (with bullets like the Nosler Partition), the price seems pretty good to me... but maybe this is too good to be true, and the price in the original post was for bare bullets?! frown

John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, I know it was for fully loaded cartridges (i'll strive for greater precision posting in the future), but really? That much for 20 rounds to shoot a deer at probably 100 paces or less (he said whitetails)?

If ya gotta buy, Rem corelokts still work as good as they ever did. I don't know what they sell for these days, but I hope less than that.

No wonder most folks shoot so little (and so poorly). If I paid that for my ammo, I'd be broke and then some. 39 cents gets it done for me, albeit I reload.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I know it was for fully loaded cartridges (i'll strive for greater precision posting in the future), but really? That much for 20 rounds to shoot a deer at probably 100 paces or less (he said whitetails)?

If ya gotta buy, Rem corelokts still work as good as they ever did. I don't know what they sell for these days, but I hope less than that.

No wonder most folks shoot so little (and so poorly). If I paid that for my ammo, I'd be broke and then some. 39 cents gets it done for me, albeit I reload.

I think it has been a while since you bought factory ammo -- mostly BP, tin and lead for you lately perhaps? Not to mention those great old rifles you have teased us with! wink

You made me curious, so I did a quick search at MidwayUSA for Rem CoreLokts in this cartridge and found Remington CoreLokt for $26.49. frown

Actually MORE than the loaded Norma ammo (by a trivial amount though).

Surprised me -- but it has been a few decades since I bought factory ammo, CoreLokts or otherwise.

By the way, I totally agree that Rem CoreLokts are fine deer bullets.

John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Okay, I give up! Corelokts are THAT much, who'd a thunk? Man, that sucks.

Yes, I'll stick with my lead, tin, and paper bullets. The last time I used a modern round was on a muledeer in 1991 or so, in AZ. From a .308 BLR. Thank god I got over that POS.

So, Norma rocks - at a "reasonable" price point. It is a sad world.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brent,

Normally Norma are much more expensive in the USA, and even here in Sweden where it is made, ammo loaded with those bonded Oryx bullets is kind of expensive.

So... I am starting to think that either the OP made a typo in his post, or the store priced them too low by mistake.

If the actual price, I might buy that ammo quick... wink

Current prices for loaded ammo make me glad that I like to handload!

John

IC B3

B
BIGR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I would have responded sooner but you know how it is when you have to work for a living.

Yes let me make this a little bit clearer for you. Yes it is factory ammo (not bullets) and twenty rounds to a box. You ask why would I want to spend that kind of money to shoot bambi?

1. At this current time I do not have access to my reloading bench and equipment, due to reasons I would rather not discuss. Yes I have been reloading for more than 24 years and can make my own when I have access to my equipment.

2. Since I cannot load anything right now my current supply of re-loaded ammo is almost gone, used up. I do prefer to use re-loads and save money, but being in my current situation looks like I am goanna have to buy some factory stuff.

3. Not real sure if you have checked any ammo prices lately, but even the cheap blue box Federal 7 MAG. 175 grain ammo / 20 per box is $24.70. So if I can buy better quality ammo for about $ 26.27, then why not? If the Norma brass is of good quality then I have me some good brass for later, when I get my reloading going again.

Also Brent, I assure you that price is not a typo. Just go to Midsouth Shooters Suppy and take a look. On the left side just scroll down and you will see the Norma Ammo banner. Click on it and you will see their clearance on the ammo. It is not only 7 MAG. but all kinds of different rounds.

Also if you have a 375 H&H

Norma 300 Grain Barnes Solid 20 ct is Price: $49.16 Item: 286-19505
Yes that is loaded factory ammo, look for yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by BIGR; 04/24/12.

NEVER GIVE UP
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I learn something every day.

Yesterday, I learned that modern ammo is ridiculously expensive. Craziness that is.

I'll stick with my stuff wink

B
BIGR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I learn something every day.

Yesterday, I learned that modern ammo is ridiculously expensive. Craziness that is.

I'll stick with my stuff wink

I agree with you on that and it is even going higher. Even reloading components have gone through the roof. I am going to use the factory stuff (not by choice) for a while til I can get back at the reloading.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Norma is top quality stuff and is better than anything you can get domestically. When you figure in the value of the Norma brass for reloading or resale, they become an even bigger bargain. Norma brass is second only to Lapua in quality and is highly sought after.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,332
Posts18,526,707
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.