Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a rewards catalog thru work that I can order stuff from and am in need of a spotting scope. The only ones they have in the catalog is Alpen 15x 45 x60 or 20 x 60 x80. I chose the 20x60x80. It may not be a top end scope but hey...it's free! What authoritative feedback can you guys give me about the alpen 20-60x80 spotting scope? Thanks

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not what you want to hear, but my experience with Alpen has been very unsatisfactory.

Be not weary in well doing.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
denton, which one did you have experience with. I was not impressed with the smaller one based on a few reviews I was able to find, but I'm hoping for better with the 80 mm objective..???

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one of the 20x small spotters several years ago when it was on sale. It's worked fine at the range for 100 yards and because of its size I use it frequently when hunting in open country. There are certainly better spotters on the market but for the below $50 paid for this one, it's worked very well, easy to focus and the small size has made it very handy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Alpen scopes and spotters have made either the Outdoor Life or Field and Stream list of best buys for several years as I recall. I've looked through a few of the spotters and liked what I saw for the price.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have one of the 15-45x spotters. I keep it in my wife's car for checking out wildlife if we are traveling without other optics. Its ok for what I paid for it (nothing, I won it) but I'd rather look through my 10x Vortex Razor binoculars if I am looking for any length of time.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Alpen scopes and spotters have made either the Outdoor Life or Field and Stream list of best buys for several years

I am not sure that this mention has added to my level of confidence in the brand frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by denton
Not what you want to hear, but my experience with Alpen has been very unsatisfactory.

No doubt others will agree with that, but it's really not a very helpful comment without more information, hence this question:

Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
denton, which one did you have experience with. I was not impressed with the smaller one based on a few reviews I was able to find, but I'm hoping for better with the 80 mm objective..???

Denton may have experience with Alpen's spotters, but he didn't say he did. His experience with Alpen might have been with their low-end binoculars, but he just doesn't say. Alpen has a very, very wide range of quality in their binocular line: Promotional, Sport Compacts, Magna View, Pro Series, Shasta Ridge, Wings, Apex, Teton, & Rainier. Not saying this is what denton did, but it wouldn't make much sense to judge the Ranier by using the Magna View.

Regarding spotting scopes, on the one end of Alpen's spectrum I have the 20x50, and it serves well at the range and for riding around in my truck. At the other end I have the 20-60x80, and it's a real nice spotter, though I don't use it much. I'd use it more if it had the straight eyepiece rather than the angled eyepiece.

Under your circumstances, choosing the Alpen 20-60x80 doesn't seem like much of a decision.

Steve.

P.S. I just went to the Alpen site and found their guarantee. Added it at right. With that, I see only three ways someone could have a bad experience:
(1.) Complain that a $50 product doesn't equal a $1,000 product, or...
(2.) Alpen failed to live up to their guarantee, or...
(3.) You live outside the USA (and probably there, a legality is involved.)

Last edited by Everyday Hunter; 04/26/12. Reason: added P.S. & image.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The good news is that it's free, so your expectations won't be very high anyway, therefore you will most likely not be disappointed if it does not meet your expectations, yet may be delighted if it is a satisfactory optic given what you paid for it ($0).

God Bless America!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, AB2506, 7887mm08, 16penny, 405winash, 35, 12 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,650
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.