Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_473701_-1?N=39632024+4294957415

Do any of you guys have any experience with these ar's? Im thinking about picking up a new because i cant find a decent price on one i like that is used.

This gun is listed as a .223 remington. Does that mean it will shoot 5.56 also?

Thanks

Last edited by RCMafia79; 05/06/12.
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
IIRC - .223 is not compatible with 5.56. It is the other way...5.56 can shoot .223

Brian

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Got it! Thank you sir

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i know a guy that has one, it goes bang when he pulls the trigger, I have no idea what the barrel is stamped. I don't care for it.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
i know a guy that has one, it goes bang when he pulls the trigger, I have no idea what the barrel is stamped. I don't care for it.

What do you dislike. I need feedback

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
it does not balance well for me, I don't like bushmaster, its not built to spec like other carbines made by several others. Just do some research. I am sure its fine for plinking and fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can get a Smith and Wesson M&P in 556 for around $630. It won't have a red dot but will have sights. As far as I know, it is milspec. I bought a DPMS Oracle at Walmart for $587. No dust cover or forward assist, if you think you need those features. Their "Sportacle" has those and is only about $10 more. I like my Oracle but would rather have had the Smith. I didn't see it until a few days after I'd bought mine. The Smith has sights and mine didn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know this has been said too many times, but just save a couple hundred more and get a Colt. You can't go wrong with a Colt.

Bushmasters have a horrible rep. Gas keys not staked properly, or not at all. Castle nuts not staked. Not chambered in 5.56. And I don't know if it's still true, but the receiver extension (buffer tube) used to be commercial instead of milspec.

I know nothing of their customer service.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pira114
I know this has been said too many times, but just save a couple hundred more and get a Colt. You can't go wrong with a Colt.

Bushmasters have a horrible rep. Gas keys not staked properly, or not at all. Castle nuts not staked. Not chambered in 5.56. And I don't know if it's still true, but the receiver extension (buffer tube) used to be commercial instead of milspec.

A Bushie chrome-lined barrel might be MOA or three MOA. The Colt is more likely to be accurate, IME. I just helped run a course for DOD unit and we provided PMC 55gr FMJ ammo that happens to shoot MOA out of many rifles. I saw some impressive groups from 100yd with Colt M4's/ACOGs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

But TWR says the bushmaster are top of the line. whistle

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I've never owned a Bushmaster. I've currently got two Colts and they're okay. The DPMS is okay so far too though. I've owned IIRC, four other Colts and three Olympics. Olympic is low-rated much on here, but I never had problems with mine. They were all quality guns.

I saw a Colt the other night, at the Walmart where I got my DPMS. I can't recall the model number. Sporting goods assistant manager told me when I bought the DPMS that they probably wouldn't get any more. This was when the Trayvon thing was hottest. Maybe it has cooled down or they just weren't getting any more due to some issue withe DPMS, seeing as how they seemingly replaced it with a Colt. They had a Colt, a Bushmaster, and a Sig.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RCMafia79
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_473701_-1?N=39632024+4294957415

Do any of you guys have any experience with these ar's? Im thinking about picking up a new because i cant find a decent price on one i like that is used.

This gun is listed as a .223 remington. Does that mean it will shoot 5.56 also?

Thanks

At 5 lbs it's light. I personally don't like an extremely light rifle though. I find them hard to hold on target. I have no personal experience with this model and generally don't consider Bushmaster when buying rifles or parts.

I think Colt is a nice gun but you can do a lot better if accuracy is important to you.

Terry

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

If you're gonna quote me, then get it right. I said RR is right DOWN there with BM, dpms, Rem. I have always stated by my experience that you can't beat Colt for a quality gun and I have owned, shot, torn apart and inspected about every brand out there. Unlike some others... wink

I had a BM super light with the aluminum receivers and a real FSB, it was a decent gun. I'm not sure but the one linked might be their carbon fiber receiver gun and if so stay away, they don't do too well. A friend of mine had one back to BM for 4 or 5 months, it wouldn't shoot 6" groups with any ammo tried.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR

If you're gonna quote me, then get it right. I said RR is right DOWN there with BM, dpms, Rem. I have always stated by my experience that you can't beat Colt for a quality gun and I have owned, shot, torn apart and inspected about every brand out there. Unlike some others... wink

I had a BM super light with the aluminum receivers and a real FSB, it was a decent gun. I'm not sure but the one linked might be their carbon fiber receiver gun and if so stay away, they don't do too well. A friend of mine had one back to BM for 4 or 5 months, it wouldn't shoot 6" groups with any ammo tried.

Sorry TWR, but you and BARRYC are the only people I've ever heard say a RRA gun is low quality and no better than a bushmaster/r-15/dpms. A lot of People who know more than me and shoot a heck of alot more than me put RRA towards the top, not at the bottom.

As to the OP's question, if you want a gun that is different and probably pretty good, Colt has a new model out that will shoot 308 or 223 off the same frame. I have no idea if it's available yet, or what it cost, but it might be worth checking out.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

As to the OP's question, if you want a gun that is different and probably pretty good, Colt has a new model out that will shoot 308 or 223 off the same frame. I have no idea if it's available yet, or what it cost, but it might be worth checking out.

Nothing but an internet rumor. Colt has no such rifle in the works. Colt is on the skids, Remmy has the M4 contract. If'n you want a Colt AR, get it now.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"A lot of People who know more than me and shoot a heck of alot more than me put RRA towards the top, not at the bottom."

Then you really need to get out more...
start here
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Last edited by TWR; 05/08/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing but an internet rumor. Colt has no such rifle in the works.

I'm confused. I handled one of these myself at SHOT in January. Are you being tongue in cheek? FWIW, I didn't care for the feel of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR

Sorry TWR, but you and BARRYC are the only people I've ever heard say a RRA gun is low quality and no better than a bushmaster/r-15/dpms. A lot of People who know more than me and shoot a heck of alot more than me put RRA towards the top, not at the bottom.

And you can add me to your list.

There are two types of ARs. Hobby guns and top tier fighting weapons.

RRA, Stag, Bushy, Rem, Oly, etc are hobby guns. With RRA and Stag being probably the best in that category.

Colt, BCM, DD, and KAC are the top tier fighting weapons. Noveski is up there as well, but with too many proprietary parts, I don't consider them.

If this weapon is ONLY for fun, I'd say you could go Stag or RRA. If it has ANY chance of being used in self defense, I'd save the money and get one of the four I listed.

Even with saying that, I don't accept hobby guns (AR types I mean)into my safe. Not anymore anyway. With the prices being so close, it makes no sense NOT to buy quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Nothing but an internet rumor. Colt has no such rifle in the works. Colt is on the skids, Remmy has the M4 contract. If'n you want a Colt AR, get it now.

Colt's not going anywhere. Remmy does have an M4 contract now, but not THE (as in only) contract. The original procurement was for 24,000 I think. That's not a huge amount in Army standards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So the FBI and DEA buy hobbie guns? whistle

Last edited by dmsbandit; 05/09/12.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.