Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Not on the dashboard, but in the glove compartment or console. Will this cause damage to high-dollar binoculars on a hot summer day? What if they are stored that way all summer? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've kept mine in the truck for many years -- no ill effects. I do not leave them sitting in the sun however.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not High Dollar per se but i had a set od Zeiss Diafuns in 8x30 for 4 years with zero problems....Decided I was going to start keeping them in my truck for scouting Hogs and Turkeys in fields....Less than a year later the seals blew on one tube....Now....was it coincidence? I dunno but my Swaros stay in my safe and my Yosemites are my truck glass. smile

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My truck binoculars aren't high dollar either. Just a 10x 21mm Nikon Medallion compact that I picked up on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods a few years ago cause I didn't want to leave real expensive stuff in there. The Nikons live in their soft case tucked into the storage space in the drivers door panel of my Toyota Tacoma. Winter, summer, all year long and so far there's been no problem. I even have a small Tasco 18-36x 50mm spotting scope in a hard case in the storage bin under the back seat. Got it for about 40 bucks from Natchez Shooters Supply back in '07 and use it a few times a year. No problems there either. It's not a bad scope for the price and I ain't gonna leave my Leupold in the truck all year just for informal, occasional use.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have, for a number years, kept a pair of binoculars in my truck. Usually under the fold down console or on the front seat. The are used a fair bit of the time to watch cows and look for game. No problems with the binoculars have occured. They are SLCs and have been in my trucks since 1997.
If its hot and if I remember to do it they go under the fold down console.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'd say with modern grease free binoculars it's a non issue.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
one of the things folks buy with quality is long life. afaik the glue holding doublets achromats et al will eventually lose light transmission if eyecups and other soft parts don't go first - may not be noticed. no question light through the lenses especially focused can hurt too - but then light is ionizing radiation - cosmic rays hurt too. I don't worry about it much but my in the truck is more likely to be Katmai 6x anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by InTheWoods
Not on the dashboard, but in the glove compartment or console. Will this cause damage to high-dollar binoculars on a hot summer day? What if they are stored that way all summer? Thanks.

One concern from extended heat exposure would be internal lubricants that might eventually work their way onto internal lenses and prisms. Also, internal glues, sealers and o-rings may shrink or expand and lose effectiveness.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why the only time you'll find my Steiner Predator Pro 10x26's from Cameraland riding around in my truck is when I'm transporting them somewhere.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Doug is probably right about the seals and glues and lubricants possibly leaking. I might have to re-think this. I guess you could always send them back to get fixed if something happened.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never gave it any thought, but my Swaro SLCs failed two years in a row several years ago while hunting Mule Deer in the Tans-Pecos area of west Texas. I do not remember the temperatures involved, but it can get down into the teens at night (with a cold spell) or it can hit the high eighties in the daytime if one of the highs settles in. Maybe so the bino was not all the problem....? jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Different issue but I worry more about temperature swings from cold soak at low temperatures - low meaning towards negative 40 - to toasty warm roaring fire than I do about the temperatures themselves - and maybe vice versa but not so much. Lubrication may have a lifespan - there was a nice camera lense that may have had oilite bushing style luberication someplace in the system and reportedly went dry after many years.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I keep mine in a cheap small cooler from Wally World and use a couple of small towels for padding during the summer. Don't know how much it helps, but the binos haven't fried yet.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Doug is probably right about the seals and glues and lubricants possibly leaking. I might have to re-think this. I guess you could always send them back to get fixed if something happened.

Probably? whistle

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by InTheWoods

One concern from extended heat exposure would be internal lubricants that might eventually work their way onto internal lenses and prisms. Also, internal glues, sealers and o-rings may shrink or expand and lose effectiveness.

I said this Doug awhile back and folks basically laughed thinking I was nuts. Far as I'm concerned, others can drag their bino's behind their trucks on a fire road for all I care. I don't care to bake a $1500 pair of bino's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only got one decent (not high)quality binocular, a 15 year old Nikon. It lives in my pickup in the summer, cause if I don't have it, I can't use it, and I don't have the best eyesight in the world. So far, no problems, and it's been in that pickup sitting at the edge of a field on some HOT days, usually on the passenger seat, or behind the seat.

That said, I'm sure this is not good for it, but I bought that binocular to use. It's a tool, not an heirloom. I've also never had a problem with any riflescopes stored the same way on hot days in the pickup.

Last edited by 300_savage; 05/11/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am curious, do those bino's ever get exposed to cold temps for extended periods of time or are they basically kept in that truck enviroment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RD, not as much cold weather. I take them with me when I go to the farm, and that is a lot more summer weather than winter. I teach school, and play farmer in the summer. Once summer comes, they stay in the pickup usually in their soft case. I am willing to risk them being damaged or stolen, to have them there when I need them. I've used them when they were too hot to comfortably hold. In the winter, they live in my house unless I go hunting, so they've been cold, but not as much as they've been hot. Still clear, adjustment/focus still good, and they've never yet fogged.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is good for them...I'm just willing to take the risk.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had a pair of Swarafski 8X30 SLC's in my truck for close to 20 years now. THe only time they aren't in there is when they are around my neck hunting. This is in Wiscosnin so they've been from about -40 to God knows how hot it gets in the truck when it's 100+ outside. Never had a single issue with them.

I think the vibration of being in a truck is worse than the heat. I've seen a lot of cheaper pairs go out of sink due to the vibration.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine are Nikons... they stay in my truck and another pair in my car... I just leave them hanging around the head rest, and dangling in the bar on the seat on the passenger side of the vehicle... they stay in there year round...

no ill effects...

both pairs were scopes that were $200 and then dropped to $100 when the new models came out...

work fine for my crappy eye sight...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,119
Posts18,502,341
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.