Originally Posted by deflave
� ridiculously pretentious.

I don't have to PRETEND to be an ass.

I AM an ass.

(You know how it is!) laugh

grin...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken Howell?

Shades of Eastwood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He reminds me of me, just not quite as literate, seasoned, or good looking. He might want to consider getting sunglasses and a GTO...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Ken a great deal and appreciate the fact that he is willing to share what he knows with us at 24HCF.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
And the man can speell. I mean spell.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I taught Dr. Howell everything he knows. grin

I have the upmost respect for him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He is the epitome of a classic and classy gentleman !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
� he is a man of infant patience as he tolerates my spelling and writing.

That doesn't involve patience at all. Patience is an inward-looking thing, and I'm the only one now whom I'm responsible for. Yes, there are things on the 'fire that disgust me and disappoint me, but they have nothing to do with patience, and others' misspelling isn't one of 'em.

I've always been impatient with myself � from playing the guitar to climbing a mountain, I've always had to get to the top nonstop. Always wanted to write but had no "gift" for it. Wrote well as a youngster, by unconscious emulation � then got into forestry school and unconsciously emulated Foundations of Silviculture, Toumey's abominable "translation" of Korstian's German text. As a result, I wrote so abominably that I couldn't make sense of what I'd written.

Learning how to write persists to be a constantly frustrating and tedious ordeal, but I'm determined to keep at it until I get it right. I can't imagine that my writing will ever make me (or anybody else!) cry, but it sho' do make me cuss now 'n' then!

When I occasionally offer a spelling or word-choice correction on-line, I do so as a helpful "older brother," not as "Miss Mossybottom," the third-grade teacher. Nobody owes me correct spelling.

edited to add �

"Infant patience" � I like that!
laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
He seems to have been involved in more close calls/attacks with toothy clawed critters than a lot of people. I know that much.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The original was obviously my mistake followed up by a humorous attempt of my spell checker to get me into more trouble than normal. blush But is was so funny I left it once it was pointed out in a following post.

Your correct spelling and grammar is a goal for me and I do not that offense when the good people here correct me.

I love to write and often do so just for the joy of telling the story to myself. There have been times when a story has been buzzing around my head and I end up having to sit down and write it just to find out how it ends. But most of my writing is fiction and I find fiction much more enjoyable to write even when I have to spend more time in recherch� that I spend actual writing. My writing will never make anyone cry but my spelling and grammar might.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not all that persuaded that runny eyes and a lumpy throat are what a good writer should aspire to.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dr. Charley Sharps of Coos Bay once told me he did his best to wright so that the reader felt he was standing beside the author and that anytime you write so that the reader realizes he is reading you have failed him. Then he told me I had written several pieces that accomplished those goals better that he had ever done.

Sometimes I get lucky and put it together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The purpose of fiction is to give the reader an experience � as if he were there, seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching what you're giving him to see, to hear, to smell, to taste, to touch. The experience may make him cry, but your writing shouldn't. Whenever the manner of your writing draws his attention away from the matter that you're writing about, you've pulled him out of the experience.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
The purpose of fiction is to give the reader an experience � as if he were there, seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching what you're giving him to see, to hear, to smell, to taste, to touch. The experience may make him cry, but your writing shouldn't. Whenever the manner of your writing draws his attention away from the matter that you're writing about, you've pulled him out of the experience.

Exactly. It is always my goal, sometime I get lucky.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by deflave
I think he is a very good writer and ridiculously pretentious.

Travis

If Dr. Howell is pretentious, which I do NOT think he is, at this point, he has certainly EARNED the right to be.

Thank you Ken, for your contributions to this site.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
... not as "Miss Mossybottom," the third-grade teacher. Nobody owes me correct spelling....

I always thought her name was "Mrs. Thistlebottom." Whatever -- she waz a gud teecher.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God bless Dr. Howell. I consider him a true renaisance (sic) man of great wisdom and experience. He is one of the most erudite individuals I have ever come across and I have met a few in my years of college and the professional world.
My only regret is that I did not have the great pleasure of meeting him when he was a younger man. Unfortunately, I do not foresee an opportunity to do so now. I would give anything to get to the Campfire gettogether and meet him in person.
With the greatest respect,
Frank

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eyeball
It dawned on me, right or wrong, that some here speak their ideas, some speak their views or opinions, some their feelings and etc. For all practical purposes, Ken speaks the truth. JMO.

Great post and thread...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Amen to the Nth degree!!! Y'all are right on the money...

Best regards,

Bill

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Amen...

and thank you Sir...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.