TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And building them isn't rocket science.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1
You seem to know exactly what I was getting at and I'm glad. The simple point of my comment if the rifle does it's job it makes little to no difference who's name is stamped on the receiver. Hobby lists and charts be damned.

I'll agree that name brands don't mean anything to me either (except I prefer they be made in the U.S.). I only mention brands as a way to distinguish quality from crap. Not all ARs are equal.

Problem is the part about the rifle doing it's job. At a square range or out in the yard shooting at paper, many of these rifles do well. When you put them to hard use, like a carbine class, is when they fail. A lot. In some of these classes, you're going through thousands of rounds. At least when you're not waiting for someone to figure out why their hobby gun quit running.

The Chart is not the end all be all. It's a well thought out way to spread info on what brands use what materials, processes, and testing. The Chart is a great place to start.

My guns that I consider working guns or self defense guns HAVE to be able to stand up to HARD use. EVERY brand can have parts break. It's part of the game. But when/how often those parts wear out/break is significant. And that's only if the weapon was put together properly to begin with. Staking comes to mind. Chambers come to mind.

The only one I still consider a hobby gun that is teetering on being considered better is the S&W M&P15. They do not follow the herd when it comes to materials and "mil-spec", but their guns are gaining a rep for being very reliable. More time will tell.

I'm not even going to comment on all the reasons the Mini 14 is a horrible idea. Although, I suppose in the ever popular zombie scenario, you could use it effectively as a club.

Last edited by pira114; 05/09/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1
And building them isn't rocket science.

And yet so many get it wrong.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by RCMafia79

After days worth of reading & listening to other ar owners opinions, pros & cons , & preferences. I think I'm gonna be buying a ruger mini 14. Probably a tactical version I seen at a local gun shop. Thanks to all that advised me

"I feel like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids".

I asked about a -$700 dollar rifle. This thread has went way over my head. I'm New to ars. That s why I have decided to go with a mini. They're made only by ruger & when I ask about a ruger mini 14 no one will mention 75 brands, 28 twist rates, trigger this, barrel that. I just need a "jic" rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

After days worth of reading & listening to other ar owners opinions, pros & cons , & preferences. I think I'm gonna be buying a ruger mini 14. Probably a tactical version I seen at a local gun shop. Thanks to all that advised me

At least you know you'll be starting at the bottom of the barrel and the next purchase can only get better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah if it was a 700 buck rifle AR you were after... buy anyone you can get for that price, there won't be a hill of beans of difference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

"I feel like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids".

I asked about a -$700 dollar rifle. This thread has went way over my head. I'm New to ars. That s why I have decided to go with a mini. They're made only by ruger & when I ask about a ruger mini 14 no one will mention 75 brands, 28 twist rates, trigger this, barrel that. I just need a "jic" rifle.

Then buy a reliable AR. Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, heck I'll even concede S&W M&P15. The prices of these (except DD) aren't that much more than the Mini 14.

Wasn't gonna do it, but a couple big reasons why the Mini doesn't get considered for me is:

1. Horrible accuracy (although newer ones are reported to be better, but still can't touch an AR).

2. Haven't heard of one after market mag that works reliably.

3. Parts availability.

4. Spotty reliability.

Another reason some don't like them is Ruger's seeming anti 2nd Amendment stance. But they do make good guns. Just not the mini.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and maybe I should explain why it matters. At least for me.

You said this is a "jic" gun. Just in case right? Well, when you actually need it, you need it to run. Am I going to need 5000 rounds in a jic scenario? Hope not. But I want to KNOW my fighting guns work. And will continue to work under the worst conditions.

I have plenty of hobby guns that might piss me off when they malfunction, but won't get me killed.

I'd hate to think someone bought a weapon based off something I said, and it failed them when they really needed it. So yeah, I'm passionate about quality in a fighting gun. I'll never recommend one of the "good enough" guns for self defense.

Last edited by pira114; 05/09/12.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks pira114. Finally a straight forward answer that is directed toward a rifle I mentioned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude, you're welcome. Anytime. And I know it sucks cuz there's so many choices and money don't grow on trees.

My advice, for what it's worth, is a Colt 6920. That and a sling. For your purposes, that'll get you in the game under a grand and won't fail you.

Learn the irons. Optics and lights can come later. If you can afford a class, great. It's a good way to find out what you really need/want. But for now, a basic 6920 and a decent sling.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The mini is arguably the worst choice, the firing pin breakage issue finally sunk them in my opinion

Go look at the SW sport.

Last edited by jimmyp; 05/10/12.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mini 14; bad.

6 moa rifle on average.

magazines... ug

Big disappointment. Don't do it.

7mm 7mm 7mm
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My JIC is a M1 carbine that has been proven in WWII, Korea, and 'Nam. Pretty beat up, but she never fails.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Metplat
Mini 14; bad.

6 moa rifle on average.

magazines... ug

Where does this "fact" come from? The last one I owned would group around 2". The new Mini's are a lot more accurate than the old ones. They might not be for carbine class ninja types, but will serve most casual shooters well.

Terry

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Metplat
Mini 14; bad.

6 moa rifle on average.

magazines... ug

Where does this "fact" come from? The last one I owned would group around 2". The new Mini's are a lot more accurate than the old ones. They might not be for carbine class ninja types, but will serve most casual shooters well.

Terry

Yes, my two mini's were a lot more accurate than 6moa, they would five, or maybe even four moa.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See there, and from such a credible source too. They may have even been more accurate if they were recrowned.

Terry

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TC1
See there, and from such a credible source too. They may have even been more accurate if they were recrowned.

Terry

Possibly, but I doubt it.

Seriously though, it appears Ruger has undertaken efforts to vastly improve their rifles accuracy reputation. Early on, they bought a barrel manufacturers seconds for the first 77's. The new Hawkeyes supposedly are all MOA or near it, and the Mini supposedly has improved as well. For what a Mini costs though, it makes a lot more sense to get a Delton AR for the same money, or add a C-note or so and get a S&W.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned a SS mini about 20 years ago that was a real bullet hose but the last one I bought (580 series) was a huge improvement. The AR-15 is unquestionably a better platform and I fully agree about the cost aspect. The same could be said these day's about the AK-47 too. That said, the newer model Mini-14's aren't bad rifles for the casual shooter.

Terry

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
for $357 it would be a great rifle for the casual shooter much as the 10-22 is. Its not a bad rifle at $357.00, and I would buy a SS mini 30 directly if it was this price.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And for $1.75 the AK-47 would be tempting to me but that's not gonna happen either. :^)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.