Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by McInnis
Well, I was hoping to hear a bunch of stories about nickel plated revolvers that were passed down from grandpa and still looked almost new. But I was afraid of this.

Thing is, I know there's technology for electro-plating steel with nickel that will stand up to tough use, but I guess it's not what they use.
Sorry. I've got my Dad's (he's still alive but is 91) in my safe. It's a 1934 38-44 Heavy Duty 38 Spec. It looks almost identical to the 45 ACP in the pic, having a slightly shorter barrel.

My second centerfire handgun was a model 19 Smith .357. The nickel on that one was badly scratched. I've had a lot of nickel guns because I like the old ones and many were of that finish. I once had a Winchester '73 32 WCF that had been nickel plated. It was a special order gun with a very long barrel and double-set trigger. Wish I had a pic of it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...about nickel plated finishes on S&W revolvers. I've thought nickel N frames are the coolest things for a long time. I have my eye on a model 57.

I have a nickel plated S&W 57 6" bbl., bought new in 1980. I've used it plenty since, carried both in a shoulder holster or a strong side Safariland hip holster. There is not one "flake" on it and for all practical purposes, still looks nearly new.

My wife's S&W 36, 3" Heavy Bbl., .38 Spec.,is nickel plated. I bought it for her new in 1976. She carries it CCW, mostly in a leather Coronado Handgun purse, but sometimes when we are up in the mountains, in a Simply Rugged pancake belt holster. It still looks almost new, with zero flaking, etc.

We don't "baby" them but I do always take care of them.

I've no problem with nickel handguns from S&W. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well thanks a lot Leanwolf, I had just about put this out of my mind.

Hmmmmmmmm....what do you use to clean them with?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Funny you mention that McInnis. I have an old Smith 29 that Marker Bros Machine Co. "Black Chromed" for me way back in the late 60's after I went to a 1911 as a duty gun. I've been told it's "electroless nickel (?)" or something like that. Very tough, looks like a quality blue job and doesn't show holster wear much even with lots of holster carry. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 05/07/12.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Robert_Wilson
I use WD-40 to remove powder fouling ..
Please treat your firearm with more respect than that..

If not, well then I guess a 'thank you' is in order.. WD-40 users help keep guys like me in business... smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well thanks a lot Leanwolf, ... what do you use to clean them with?

I just wipe them off with a large piece of old 100% cotton tee shirt, then I put a bit of Break Free on a cotton pad and apply that thinly. I've never had any problem with the nickel finish.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
But how do you clean the bore?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But how do you clean the bore?

I use Tetra-Gun Solvent. Cleans out the gunk and then when the additional patches come out clean, I use a very lightly oiled (Break Free) patch to push through the bore and cylinder holes.

L.W.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

If not, well then I guess a 'thank you' is in order.. WD-40 users help keep guys like me in business... smile smile

Meh. The mention of WD-40 always brings out the snobs.

Not knowing what you do for a living, though, I have to ask how you think removing powder fouling with WD-40 is going to contribute to your livelihood.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have to agree...WD40 is about all I use for cleaning my guns and they all...including the nickel ones, look like new. After a good wipedown they then get sprayed with G96 Silicone Spray. Keeps everything off the surface and doesn't stain cloths.

Nickel S&Ws...never have had a problem with them. The first centerfire S&W I owned was a Model 19 purchased in 1980. Fired 10K documented rounds through it, brought it up to S&W about 1974, had them nickel it, carried it and shot it 10K more rounds and sold it in 1980...was excellent in the box and sold for more than I bought it for.

My now ex-wife bought a Model 36 2" nickel in about 1977. She still has it and it has a lot of miles on it....mostly in her pocketbook.

Have had several 57s and 58s over the years and taken care of wear less than blue guns in the holster.

Consecutive pair of 57 6" guns...

[Linked Image]

8 /38"...

[Linked Image]

One of the best shooting 57s I ever had...that is 12 rounds DA at 10 yards...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Class A 57...

[Linked Image]

I only own one nickel gun right now...the engraved 57 but would again like to find a nickel 60s vintage 57 4" for the collection and to shoot....

If you take care of it the finish will out last you...

Bob

ps...I still remember the day about 1969 when I was down the Lyman Blue Trail Range in Ct. A guy there with a brand new 6" nickel Python. At the end of the first cylinder full the nickel had blown off half the cylinder and the barrel ahead of the flashgap....he was not pleased....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Not knowing what you do for a living, though, I have to ask how you think removing powder fouling with WD-40 is going to contribute to your livelihood.

LMAO... Do some research, sir, then get back to me...

Since you're obviously new here I'll try to explain further..

Me: Full-time gunsmith since '98, have my own shop and build custom rifles based (mostly) on the Winch. M70 action and have done so for many of the members here on the 'fire..

I see all types/kinds of firearms come into the shop for various maladies but one thing sticks out as a common item: gummed up actions from people who use WD-40.. I have warned repeatedly against the use of that particular product for firearm maintenance.. It's a great product for loosening rusty bolts/nuts on old farm machinery, but it has no place around firearms..

If you're going to safely remove gunk, crap, fouling or whatever from your firearm please consider using another product; whether it's Hoppes, Butch's Bore Shine, Kroil, Ballistol, whatever.. Those will do the job w/o harming the firearm or causing functional issues..

And I'm hardly a snob, sir...

Best wishes..

Last edited by Redneck; 05/08/12.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, goody goody ..... this is going to spiral into a WD-40 thread.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee has it correct, I also benefited from those that swore by WD-40. Properly cleaning and lubing guns all gunked up with the WD-40.

Carry on, gunsmiths need the money!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have my Dad's nickle plated CZ 27 that he brought back from WWII. About 1/2 dozen times a year he pulled it out of the night stand and shot a few tin cans. Afterwards he cleaned the barrel with Hoppes 9 and always wiped it down with a piece of cloth diaper and 3-IN-One oil.
The nickel is about 98% overall today.
Oh, and I carry on his tradition. smile
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Oh, goody goody ..... this is going to spiral into a WD-40 thread.
I doubt it. I used to use WD on guns, but I don't anymore unless I've got a screw I need to get out or some such. When Lee says something, he's usually right.

Personally, I try and keep my guns clean enough that I can do a quick wipe down with RemOil and put 'em up. Most of my cast bullets are from Missouri Bullet Co. anymore and are hard enough that there is not leading to contend with. So as long as the bore is fairly clean, I don't have to mess with that. If it's dirty, I run some patches with Rem Oil.

If I've been shooting a corrosive or have a particularly dirty gun I take on trade, I'll use the black powder cleaning method. I break the gun down as far as is practicable, take it to the sink and give it a thorough scrubbing with dish soap and hot water. Loads of really hot water to rinse-until no more bubbles. Usually there is no drying necessary. Then RemOil it up. I watch the gun for a couple of days in case some rusty oil shows up on it. Usually it doesn't.

I had an odd experience the other night when I deviated from the two above methods. I was using some cleaner on a Garand I bought and the rags and patches were coming away without fouling on them. To be fair, I was out in my garage and working by the light of my garage door opener since all four fluorescents had went bad. I got done and went to oil it with RemOil and got A LOT more gunk off the action with the RemOil. I pretty much re-cleaned with my oiling agent then. The cleaner was "Powder Blast" by Winchester.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been using a lot of "PB Blaster" on my farm stuff for a number of years now. It's pretty common in the stores. I used to use WD unless the screw or whatever was really stuck, but anymore I just use PB unless I can't find any around, then I go back to WD40.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use WD-40 for cleaning and break-in, but I also wipe it all off. The last time I sent a firearm to a 'smith for cleaning was never. wink

As for the nickel finish question, I don't like the looks so I stay away. On the practical side, in a pinch I can fix a scratch on stainless or blue, but repairing a nickel problem is always going to be a PITA.

Actually, I don't much care for the looks of stainless either, but the practicality can't be ignored for some uses.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

LMAO... Do some research, sir, then get back to me...

Since you're obviously new here I'll try to explain further..

Me: Full-time gunsmith since '98, have my own shop and build custom rifles based (mostly) on the Winch. M70 action and have done so for many of the members here on the 'fire..

I see all types/kinds of firearms come into the shop for various maladies but one thing sticks out as a common item: gummed up actions from people who use WD-40.. I have warned repeatedly against the use of that particular product for firearm maintenance.. It's a great product for loosening rusty bolts/nuts on old farm machinery, but it has no place around firearms..

If you're going to safely remove gunk, crap, fouling or whatever from your firearm please consider using another product; whether it's Hoppes, Butch's Bore Shine, Kroil, Ballistol, whatever.. Those will do the job w/o harming the firearm or causing functional issues..

And I'm hardly a snob, sir...

Best wishes..

New here, but not new to firearms. I've been using WD-40 to remove powder fouling from the outside surfaces of my guns for better than twenty years. It works, in that capacity, as well as anything I've ever tried.

During most of that time, I've been encountering people who have knee-jerk reactions to any mention of WD-40 and who demand that I use something else on my guns. My universal question is "Why?". To date, no one - you included - have been able to give me a straight and sensible answer.

Last edited by Robert_Wilson; 05/09/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The single best thing you can do for a firearm that has been out in the rain all day is to liberally spray it down with WD40. I don't "clean" with it 'cause it doesn't "clean", paper towels, rags and patches (with the appropriate solvent) will clean. Everything has its place.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Water Displacement (formula) 40 (they got it right on the 40th try).

It's meant to displace water. It does that very well. It will also gum up a firearm action in less than a year if used religiously.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,571 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,985
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.